Blu was disappointing

Hapytocruise

My DH and I has been huge fans of Blu for many past cruises with the thought in mind we were treating ourselves with an Aqua class cabin for the privilege of dining in Blu. Not so much anymore, our recent Millennium Alaska cruise has us booking a regular balcony on our next X cruise. 3 out of 7 menu nights were not enough regular sort of options as I do not like lamb, duck or squab. One night salmon was featured (not the always available) I had one taste and knew if I continued to eat it, I would be ill...it was off. I requested a med steak to have it arrive well done so next time requested med rare steak to have it arrive next to raw. I know they are very accommodating to replace a meal, but waiting for a replacement while my husbands meal gets cold as he won't start his until I get mine is just not how I want to do dinner. The mat'd and hostess were great, the staff good but not as excellent as past cruises (perhaps because it was a 7 day cruise and we usually do longer). We did not complain (I do not want to piss off anyone in the care of my meal...for a number of reasons) For the price diff on the next cries we can dine a number of times at specialty restaurants and still have significant savings....so long Aqua class.

My DH and I has been huge fans of Blu for many past cruises with the thought in mind we were treating ourselves with an Aqua class cabin for the privilege of dining in Blu. Not so much anymore, our recent Millennium Alaska cruise has us booking a regular balcony on our next X cruise. 3 out of 7 menu nights were not enough regular sort of options as I do not like lamb, duck or squab. One night salmon was featured (not the always available) I had one taste and knew if I continued to eat it, I would be ill...it was off. I requested a med steak to have it arrive well done so next time requested med rare steak to have it arrive next to raw. I know they are very accommodating to replace a meal, but waiting for a replacement while my husbands meal gets cold as he won't start his until I get mine is just not how I want to do dinner. The mat'd and hostess were great, the staff good but not as excellent as past cruises (perhaps because it was a 7 day cruise and we usually do longer). We did not complain (I do not want to piss off anyone in the care of my meal...for a number of reasons) For the price diff on the next cries we can dine a number of times at specialty restaurants and still have significant savings....so long Aqua class.

So sad to hear this. Blu is really the main reason we booked AQ class in the past. Oh well....as much as I love the Persian Gardens, not worth the extra cost. I, too, will probably check the reviews on Blu before booking AQ next time around.

Interesting...We were on the Millie on the Transpacific right before it started Alaska. Except for the first night, our service was superb. Our waiter would tell us if he thought something would not be great. He was hilarious. I agree about those three menu items....did not want them myself either. I think the menu needs some tweaking in Blu as not everyone cares for lamb and duck. I ordered from the regular menu those nights myself and the steak I got wasn't good either. It's too bad you didn't complain. Two in our extended group complained and the staff could not do enough on subsequent nights in an effort to please. I did enjoy the afternoon tea in the cabin and the complimentary bottled water each day. I would book Aqua if the cost is not too much more than a balcony. We are not yet elite and the points help, too.

So sorry to hear this. Blu has always been our favorite. On our next cruises we will be in a Suite so we will try Luminare, and planned to eat in Blu on some of the nights the menu in Luminare did not suite our taste. I hope we are not disappointed

That's too bad Blu was disappointing to you. We were on Millennium northbound to Alaska from May 22-29 and dining in Blu was one of our favorite things about the ship. Great service and excellent food. We ate there every morning for breakfast and five nights for dinner and we were not disappointed.

We were in a suite on the Christmas Summit sailing. We went to the MDR one night and had terrible service. Since I said that, one example server forgot to take one person's order at our table of 4. Server left and took 10 minutes to get someone to take her order.

Next day, we went to Blu for breakfast and the server asked us why were weren't coming to Blu for dinner. After that went to Blu except for Qsine night and loved the service and food.

Lamb, duck, salmon among our favorites. You may not be a true BLU diner. We love to enjoy foods we do not prepare at home so BLU is a dining vacation for us. Their lamb is so so good that I wish I knew of a restaurant at home to enjoy it. Hope you enjoy MDR food. Not bad but no comparison to BLU>

Having only dined in Blu twice before - one dinner and one breakfast (suite) - I loved Blu's breakfast and was totally not impressed with dinner or service in Blu. Never thought we'd book it as we figured we weren't fans.

Fast forward to our booking for May '16 - where I booked us into a deck 11 Aqua on the aft (LOVE aft cabins) and it was CHEAPER than a C1. So we will have 7 nights in Blu - I was already worried but figured the everyday menu items would be my saving grace - this report makes me very uncertain now.

And to the person that said "You may not be a true BLU diner". The OP said that they were Blu fans for many cruises - they liked salmon but it WASN'T always available (and on an Alaskan cruise :cool:) but they do not eat Lamb or Duck.

I've never been all that impressed with the food in Blu; the smaller dining room and the better service (usually) plus the ambiance is what we find attractive. We do like the A1 cabins on the smaller ships and the hump cabins on the S class, but if the price isn't right, we either settle for a veranda or move to a small suite. With us price and itinerary always govern

We are still booking Aqua for location and dining in Blu. But it not for the food. The service is excellent and we can dine when we want.

I will not eat lamb, duck, veal or squab. I seem to find something it eat. I order my steaks rare. I like med-rare, but as long as the center is not cold I'm fine.

As to the price. They have gone up. We were going to book 14 day southern Caribbean cruise in Aqua for March 2016. We are now going to book a 7 day eastern in Aqua and spend some time in Miami. As we have done east, west and south many times.

Sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive one. On occasion I have made some poor selections, but that is due more to me wanting to try something I don't see or wouldn't make and not so much about it being poorly prepared. Once in a great while I have returned something to the kitchen that was not served as ordered (overdone, over seasoned, etc.), but that is infrequent and always done with a calm voice and in a polite manner. ;)

Lamb, duck, salmon among our favorites. You may not be a true BLU diner. We love to enjoy foods we do not prepare at home so BLU is a dining vacation for us. Their lamb is so so good that I wish I knew of a restaurant at home to enjoy it. Hope you enjoy MDR food. Not bad but no comparison to BLU>

Similarly, I agree that it is great to have a nice selection of things that you don't make at home or don't often see in a restaurant. Having duck served twice in a 7 day cruise when there are usually 4-6 entrees (meat and vegetarian options) on any given night seems reasonable.

We are still booking Aqua for location and dining in Blu. But it not for the food. The service is excellent and we can dine when we want.

I have done Aqua Class the past two cruises (31 days in total across two different ships for transatlantic sailings). My next cruise is a return to the MDR for late seating. I had some wonderful food and service during my 2 occasions to visit Select Dining in NOV 2014. Looking forward to this experience (and the lower cost of cruising in a Concierge cabin).

So sorry to hear this. Blu has always been our favorite. On our next cruises we will be in a Suite so we will try Luminare, and planned to eat in Blu on some of the nights the menu in Luminare did not suite our taste. I hope we are not disappointed

Sorry to advise, but there is no Luminare on SIL.

[color="

And to the person that said "You may not be a true BLU diner". The OP said that they were Blu fans for many cruises - they liked salmon but it WASN'T always available (and on an Alaskan cruise :cool:) but they do not eat Lamb or Duck.

In my way of thinking there is a vast difference between being a BLU fan and a true BLU diner. We enjoy Gourmet dining and possibly they really don't. Will try anything once and the more exotic the better.

We sailed on Equinox in April and most of our dinners were wonderful, for an exception of the first evening. Food was just as good as a service. One evening we ordered from MDR - there were just better selections that evening.

We will be in AQ on Silhouette TA - I hope it will be just as good.

Honestly, I think the OP can determine whether they are a Blu diner or not.

Lamb, duck and salmon I would not by any stretch of the imagination consider as exotic or exceptionally special. In fact, have had all 3 in the MDR many times.

Very funny. I will be sure to flag you the next time spell check makes you spell something incorrectly...... By the way that is a CC violation

Apologies, did not know it was a spelling issue, twice. I make many spelling mistakes myself.

if cruising during school holidays, very few if any kids in the area of Aqua cabins. As to Blu, we find the beef fillet, steak and salmon to be just fine. So on a 7 day trip will eat there for dinner 2-3 times. (Don't like any other dinner on their menu) Enjoy breakfast there a couple of times. Dining room is quiet, very few if any little kids (no offense to any one) The rest of the days we eat for dinner once at Qsine, once in Murano/Normandie, once or twice in the buffet, Bistro, etc. But no, we don't care for anything else for dinner on Blu's menu.