Port Canaveral .. Majesty?? RC Handing PC Over To Carnival

Throwing my two cents in:

Knowing Majesty is coming instead of Rhapsody is news. That said, really like the Sovereign class. Sovereign OTS was my first RCI cruise. Perfectly OK with Majesty instead of Rhapsody, though the bigger ships have more balconies and my DW is a bit of a balcony snob.

Would rather Freedom stay then Oasis. Just not interested in that big a ship. May sail someday and maybe she will WOW me and prove me wrong. Time will tell.

Agree that two ships are not enough in PC. But I guess the RCI bean counters know better for some reason. Like I said would like a year round 4/5 day choice.

Just MHO

This argument to me is ridiculous, first off Port Canaveral is not going to over take the popularity of Miami or Fort lauderdale anytime soon, second if you live in central florida you can go anywhere you like MIA/FTL is only a 3 and half hour drive and if you dont want to do it you have choices outside of Royal

You proved my point exactly. RC is saying basically "who cares?" about the Port Canaveral area and seem OK to lose business to others.

Edited by F27TW

I've survived a few cruises with Quinceanera groups onboard. I feel like I deserve a medal or a cake for my mental anguish.

We survived the one we took last summer, however the jury is still out as to whether our 14YO grandson will ever recover:D

We survived the one we took last summer, however the jury is still out as to whether our 14YO grandson will ever recover:D

Did he join the Jacuzzi stuffing contest. ;)

Edited by John&LaLa

This argument to me is ridiculous, first off Port Canaveral is not going to over take the popularity of Miami or Fort lauderdale anytime soon, second if you live in central florida you can go anywhere you like MIA/FTL is only a 3 and half hour drive and if you dont want to do it you have choices outside of Royal

There are many cruisers who live outside of Central Florida. We live 8 hours north of Port Canaveral, a drivable distance for us. That is why we prefer a ship other than Majesty in Port Canaveral. If it was as easy as driving 3 hours to catch another ship, that would be great!

M

What do I know about ship placement? Nothing. But I always kinda assumed RCI limited ships in PC due to the lack of a convenient airport.

Probably that and there aren't a whole lot of different itinerary options other than what they are currently doing.

There are many cruisers who live outside of Central Florida. We live 8 hours north of Port Canaveral, a drivable distance for us. That is why we prefer a ship other than Majesty in Port Canaveral. If it was as easy as driving 3 hours to catch another ship, that would be great!

M

Better than no ship though. ;)

What do I know about ship placement? Nothing. But I always kinda assumed RCI limited ships in PC due to the lack of a convenient airport.

You might be on to something. Have you noticed that when you search for a cruise by port on Royal's website, the port is now called "Orlando".

Don't mean to be a PC cheerleader, but for those that fly in the night before, it's really easy. Cheap rental cars, easy drive, good shuttles, decent lodging,....

I love my new home. :D

RCI has been spreading themselves thin in Florida for years, ever since they started focusing on Europe and Asia. We don't have a year round 4/5 ship in Tampa anymore, and Oasis apparently might (or might not) be year round.

This business is nothing new. CCL concentrates on Florida and U.S. sailings because they have a plethora of subordinate companies to work in other markets. RCI, while very successful themselves, doesn't have as much tonnage to deploy worldwide. So they work with what they have.

Edited by DarthGrady

I'm still confused why people care about where RCCL home ports ships? Who gives a rip!

Hey .. we all have our "thing" right ?

For some people on here its obsessing over which Cruise Director is where .. for others its gagging everyone with their "status" .. for others its escargot .. for some of us, well, we like when our favorite port is shown some love by the line ... and schlepping Majesty -the ship they were -about to dispose of- up to Port Canaveral is like RC goin "Up Yours, Canaveral".

Edited by F27TW

Fearless prediction; most of you throwing a tantrum about this will book and come back saying you had a great time now that they are adding a bunch of features to the ship.

No me, Papi! This is just too much of a step backward ...

Fearless prediction; most of you throwing a tantrum about this will book and come back saying you had a great time now that they are adding a bunch of features to the ship.

There must have been some interesting discussions before the planned retirement of Majesty and what was going to happen with replacing her in Miami -- because that 3/4 day market was very profitable and they were not going to give it up.

As they moved the ships around on the global diagram they had, something clearly got left out....a replacement for Enchantment from the moment it moved to Miami. Maybe in the beginning they thought, they would not lose much being without a ship for the 3/4 day market for 6 months until they could reposition Rhapsody there. In my mind, smarter heads prevailed and they realized if they left for 6 months, it would be a terrible loss.

Add to the situation that Splendour was also being retired from the overall fleet, and they have another set of itineraries to cover.

So instead, they ease the move of Her Majesty away from Pullmantr....put serious $$ into refurbishing Her Majesty. You can't make the ship bigger (it wasn't economical when they did it to Enchantment), but you can give it things to make her better while giving her a makeover esthetically as well.

This doesn't say to me at the moment 'we are giving up on PC' what it says to me at the moment, we have to change our strategy to prevent losing too much of the PC market. That says the PC cruise market is valuable to them.

Many cruisers may differ with this POV.

Edited by Paulette3028

So instead, they ease the move of This doesn't say to me at the moment 'we are giving up on PC' what it says to me at the moment, we have to change our strategy to prevent losing too much of the PC market. That says the PC cruise market is valuable to them.

They have essentially just switched Majesty and Enchantment ... if Port Canaveral short cruise market was important to RC at all, they would have left the larger newer better ship there and kept Majesty in MIA

Now they are losing more of the PC short cruise market.

There must have been some interesting discussions before the planned retirement of Majesty and what was going to happen with replacing her in Miami -- because that 3/4 day market was very profitable and they were not going to give it up.

As they moved the ships around on the global diagram they had, something clearly got left out....a replacement for Enchantment from the moment it moved to Miami. Maybe in the beginning they thought, they would not lose much being without a ship for the 3/4 day market for 6 months until they could reposition Rhapsody there. In my mind, smarter heads prevailed and they realized if they left for 6 months, it would be a terrible loss.

Add to the situation that Splendour was also being retired from the overall fleet, and they have another set of itineraries to cover.

So instead, they ease the move of Her Majesty away from Pullmantr....put serious $$ into refurbishing Her Majesty. You can't make the ship bigger (it wasn't economical when they did it to Enchantment), but you can give it things to make her better while giving her a makeover esthetically as well.

This doesn't say to me at the moment 'we are giving up on PC' what it says to me at the moment, we have to change our strategy to prevent losing too much of the PC market. That says the PC cruise market is valuable to them.

They should have sold off Majesty to Thompson instead of Splendour, and then sent her over to PC. She already had her major refurbishment, and if they really wanted to, they could've added ever more to make her comparable to the Enchantment. Ohh well...There's no point in discussing that, as it's not even an option at this point, and probably never was. :)

They have essentially just switched Majesty and Enchantment ... if Port Canaveral short cruise market was important to RC at all, they would have left the larger newer better ship there and kept Majesty in MIA

Now they are losing more of the PC short cruise market.

I guess you are missing my point....in the beginning they must have felt they could withstand being without a ship in PC for 6 months...and then they realized how important the marketplace was....and the created a solution and knew they needed to make changes to Her Majesty to be able to promote her with some flavor of 'New and Improved Majesty of the Seas"

You may not like the solution. As far as passenger capacity, Her Majesty and Enchantment are basically equal (max at 2744 vs 2730), I don't get into the tonnage or size dimension debate, as far as size goes.

Edited by Paulette3028

I guess you are missing my point....in the beginning they must have felt they could withstand being without a ship in PC for 6 months...and then they realized how important the marketplace was....and the created a solution and knew they needed to make changes to Her Majesty to be able to promote her with some flavor of 'New and Improved Majesty of the Seas"

You may not like the solution. As far as passenger capacity, Her Majesty and Enchantment are basically equal (max at 2744 vs 2730), I don't get into the tonnage or size dimension debate, as far as size goes.

I tend to agree with you.

Lots of folks were mad that summer 2016 left PC without a 3/4 ship. Now there is one, and some are still mad.

I get that she's not as modern as EN or RH, but the vast majority of folks doing short cruises are there to party and have a nice long weekend break. MJ will serve that purpose nicely.

Obviously there is a market in PC for Sovereign Class ships since Majesty's two older sisters made good money there, and had loyal fan followings (myself included with regards to Monarch).

They should have sold off Majesty to Thompson instead of Splendour, and then sent her over to PC. She already had her major refurbishment, and if they really wanted to, they could've added ever more to make her comparable to the Enchantment. Ohh well...There's no point in discussing that, as it's not even an option at this point, and probably never was. :)

That would be implying that Thompson would want the Majesty. If I remember correctly Thompson toured several RCI ships and made a specific offer for the Splendour as she fitted their needs the best.

Lots of folks were mad that summer 2016 left PC without a 3/4 ship. Now there is one, and some are still mad.

I get that she's not as modern as EN or RH, but the vast majority of folks doing short cruises are there to party and have a nice long weekend break. MJ will serve that purpose nicely.

Obviously there is a market in PC for Sovereign Class ships since Majesty's two older sisters made good money there, and had loyal fan followings (myself included with regards to Monarch).

They will never please everyone.

Another fan of the Monarch and her crew. Hopefully scheduling will allow another getaway on the Majesty.

That would be implying that Thompson would want the Majesty. If I remember correctly Thompson toured several RCI ships and made a specific offer for the Splendour as she fitted their needs the best.

I know, but sometimes it's fun to imagine better scenarios! :p;)

I'm not one to do any cruise shorter than 7 days since I live in PA, but honestly, I don't see much of a problem with the "new and improved" Majesty.

Living close to Miami, we took weekenders on her over the years and always had a good time.....unhappy that they are putting a waterslide on her now that she is leaving Miami.

I hope that they consider putting waterslides on other ships, besides the Oasis class. We are booked on Harmony so I can go on the waterslide she will have.

Then WHY SWITCH THEM AT ALL ??? They could have just left Majesty in Miami and kept Enchantment in Port Canaveral ... no interruptions ..

So I guess you are missing my point. What did they actually accomplish here??