making a 9:10 am flight off sillouette

tommy47

Most times you'd make it if you walk off with your luggage. However, three times we've been delayed so it's a risk. Once for emergency departure priority due to illness, weather and immigration not clearing the ship quickly. It's all about risk tolerance. Enjoy your trip.

If the ship arrives on time, is cleared fast, you can be one of the first off the ship with luggage in hand, no delays getting to the airport, no long lines to drop off bags, no long lines for screening at TSA checkpoints, your gate is close by, then you might make it.

I would never schedule a flight that early personally. There is just too many potential delays to risk it in my opinion.

You have to be on board the plane 15-20 minutes before departure, so that takes you to 8:50 to 8:55. On our last three cruises, they didn't begin letting the self debarkers off until after 7:30. When we left the ship at 8:45, many of the selfies were still in the terminal at that time because there were only 2 Customs agents. You have to get a cab, 15 minutes to the airport, a long line to check in (Southwest is VERY popular out of FLL), and another long line for security. I would never do a flight that early.

do you guys think I can make a 9:10 am flight on southwest out of fort Lauderdale on a sunday? thank you

This question gets asked routinely. The answer is clearly... YES and NO.

Yes... if all goes well (as the above replies have pointed out)

No... if it doesn't (soooo many factors out of your control)

It's as simple as that. There are NO answer here.

Only opinions....

If the ship arrives on time,odds of success 95%

is cleared fast, odds of success 95%

you can be one of the first off the ship with luggage in handodds of success 95%

no delays at Customs and Immigration, odds of success 90%

no delays getting to the airport,odds of success 95%

no long lines to drop off bags, odds of success 95%

no long lines for screening at TSA checkpoints,odds of success 90%

your gate is close byodds of success 90%,

then you might make it.

I calculate that to be somewhere around a 56% chance you will make it.

Keep in mind that if you don't make the flight, you will undoubtedly find all remaining later flights that day are sold out and you won't have success in flying standby on a later flight. You had better have a very solid Plan B and be prepared to spend many extra hours, and possibly an extra night, in Fort Lauderdale.

Edited by cruisestitch

If the ship returns on a Sunday, you could make it. If the ship returns on a Monday, then No.

I've been on two cruises where the disembarkation was delayed and didn't even start until 9:30 am. One was in FLL. Please be careful about making such blanket statement of facts - or at least put a bit more emphasis on 'could'. They certainly wouldn't have made it on either of those cruises.

Edited by phoenix_dream

If the ship arrives on time,odds of success 95%

is cleared fast, odds of success 95%

you can be one of the first off the ship with luggage in handodds of success 95%

no delays at Customs and Immigration, odds of success 90%

no delays getting to the airport,odds of success 95%

no long lines to drop off bags, odds of success 95%

no long lines for screening at TSA checkpoints,odds of success 90%

your gate is close byodds of success 90%,

then you might make it.

I calculate that to be somewhere around a 56% chance you will make it.

Keep in mind that if you don't make the flight, you will undoubtedly find all remaining later flights that day are sold out and you won't have success in flying standby on a later flight. You had better have a very solid Plan B and be prepared to spend many extra hours, and possibly an extra night, in Fort Lauderdale.

I would also never book a flight that early.

I am wondering where the above statistics come from?

OP: I assume you are arriving at Port Everglades (you don't say). Apart from all the excellent advice above about how great a risk that flight time would be, one thing no one else has mentioned: how many other ships will be in port that same day? FLL is a zoo of an airport, even crazier when a lot of ships are in. You can face long security lines, etc.

BTW, this thread has nothing to do with Celebrity and may well get moved to the Florida Departures board, where you really should be asking this question.

Have a great trip!

I would also never book a flight that early.

I am wondering where the above statistics come from?

I agree with the subjective statistics, but I would add chances fo getting through customs fast depends on how many savvy pax are on the ship. We did a Princess cruise which was light on their club member population. Got off at 6:45. There was no one in line any where from the gangway to the taxi cue. On our Infinty South American/Panama cruise there were hundreds of Elites and experienced cruisers. Got off at about 6:30 Customs was packed with at least 300 people trying to get off. Had a 45 minute wait.

To my, are you in good health? Can you carry all your bags with no help? Are you ok with not lingering over a last coffee? Are you able to handle stress if the Customs people are moving slow?

We made a 9:40 SW flight on a Sunday getting off the Equinox last Nov. The wifester said she would rather I not cut it that close again:D

Good Luck.

EW

We self-disembark and have been to FLL quite a few times by a bit after 8 a.m.

We line up for self-disembarking about an hour before they tell us to line up. Don't wait until they tell you or you'll be 100 in line. For a long time there was a 10:10 a.m. flight to New Orleans and we always took that.

We are also TSA pre-screened so that helps, just go in the short line and you don't have to remove shoes, open bags, etc. Best $85 we spent and good for 5 years.

Don't do a shuttle with anyone else. Just grab a taxi. As one of the first out you'll just be able to walk out and grab one. 7 min. later you're at the airport.

On Sunday it will be easier.

Now....plan your alternate plans, just in case there are customs hang-ups, etc. But you really could do it.

The biggest hang-up I believe would be once you get to the airport and have to check bags. If for some reason you're a very light packer and can carry on all your bags, then you're golden.

While there is a possibility that it's doable, personally, I'd rather sit in a bar or coffee shop at the airport for a couple of extra hours, waiting for a later flight, than have a stroke from worry about catching such an early flight.

Or, I'd stay overnight and catch the early flight out the next morning.

Rushing, worrying, and possibly missing a flight will definitely harsh the vacation mellow!

To OP

Assuming the ship berths on time where you expect it to, and even if you line up VERY early to walk off, you have no control after that.... the time to get off the ship can be delayed, maybe not enough customs agents, traffic/construction delays, security line delays at the airport...

I 'd stay an extra overnight to avoid the stress if no later flight alternatives are available....just cutting it very close