Mighty Ships - Canada- Quantum of the Seas

I thought the show was good. The Captain had a few challenges along the way.

The one thing it did confirm is, I will never sail out of a cold weather port when headed to a warm climate.

Emmy, did I see you on TV?

Sure did watch it.

I enjoyed it although it seems to focus more on the technical aspects of the ship similar to the one they did for Oasis.

Interesting segment on the docking in Martinique. The pilot was late and no where to be seen so Captain Ban decided to start the docking procedure without the pilot on board. He did show up though.

Captain Ban once again confirmed in the show that winds are his biggest challenge in maneuvering with this ship just as he did at the Nov 23 Captain's Corner.

Also touched on the fact that they had to use all 4 engines to make an on time arrival in San Juan. The winds out of Cape Liberty were strong and slowed the ship down.

Starwater was showcased and lots of footage of the engine rooms and some issues they had with the Northstar air conditioning.

One error I did hear is that they said it was a 12 night sailing when in fact it was an 11 night.

Wished they broadcast the show here in the states. We were on this cruise and were filmed on the bumper cars. 21 year old DD had her hair dyed blue at the time. The camera crew were very good sports - even when bumped!

Sure did watch it.

I enjoyed it although it seems to focus more on the technical aspects of the ship similar to the one they did for Oasis.

Interesting segment on the docking in Martinique. The pilot was late and no where to be seen so Captain Ban decided to start the docking procedure without the pilot on board. He did show up though.

Captain Ban once again confirmed in the show that winds are his biggest challenge in maneuvering with this ship just as he did at the Nov 23 Captain's Corner.

Also touched on the fact that they had to use all 4 engines to make an on time arrival in San Juan. The winds out of Cape Liberty were strong and slowed the ship down.

Starwater was showcased and lots of footage of the engine rooms and some issues they had with the Northstar air conditioning.

One error I did hear is that they said it was a 12 night sailing when in fact it was an 11 night.

Also that in Martinique the harbour master wanted them to dock to the port side, for what seemed to be no specific reason. Captain Ban proceeded to dock the way he wanted, on starboard. Followed by the fact that no front end loaders arrived to bring out the gangway. It seems like it might have been "interesting" start to that day. Makes you wonder if Quantum got a welcome plack that day in Martinique.;)

I thought I might have seen you filmed in the show, but the young woman I saw wasn't wearing a boa. :) The person I saw had their hair styled like your avatar photo, but I think the only pics I've ever seen of you was wth a boa.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I liked the show. It gave a nice overview including problems that can be encountered. I'm surprised that they mentioned the dancer who's head was hit due to a computer error.....the engineer said it was a loud sound...poor guy, I hope he was okay...:(

You're right emmy, it definitely was an 11 night sailing. And even worse was the entire show was incorrect as they missed mentioning St Marten which was the 2nd port off call right after San Juan as follows:

Dec 1 Bayonne

Dec 2 at sea

Dec 3 at sea

Dec 4 San Juan

Dec 5 St Marten

Dec 6 Martinique

Dec 7 Barbados

Dec 8 St Kitts

Dec 9 at sea

Dec 10 at sea

Dec 11 at sea

I was disappointed in the show. I thought the Oasis one was done so much better. Discovery spent so much time with various sets all over the ship every day it seemed and they focused huge segments of the show on Starwater for example... zero on mama Mia, zero about Music Hall, very little about the Solarium, maybe 20sec total about Seaplex. Not showing the various restaurant venues was also a disappointment... and they didn't even get the very basics of the itinerary right.

For the amount of time and effort it seemed they made on board I consider this show a huge failure on Discovery's part compared to their shows about Oasis, Epic, Seabourn, etc...

You're right emmy, it definitely was an 11 night sailing. And even worse was the entire show was incorrect as they missed mentioning St Marten which was the 2nd port off call right after San Juan as follows:

Dec 1 Bayonne

Dec 2 at sea

Dec 3 at sea

Dec 4 San Juan

Dec 5 St Marten

Dec 6 Martinique

Dec 7 Barbados

Dec 8 St Kitts

Dec 9 at sea

Dec 10 at sea

Dec 11 at sea

I was disappointed in the show. I thought the Oasis one was done so much better. Discovery spent so much time with various sets all over the ship every day it seemed and they focused huge segments of the show on Starwater for example... zero on mama Mia, zero about Music Hall, very little about the Solarium, maybe 20sec total about Seaplex. Not showing the various restaurant venues was also a disappointment... and they didn't even get the very basics of the itinerary right.

For the amount of time and effort it seemed they made on board I consider this show a huge failure on Discovery's part compared to their shows about Oasis, Epic, Seabourn, etc...

I'm waiting to see it, but from yours and others reviews it sounds like a bit of a farce to be honest! Which you are right considering how much time and effort they seemed to take on board with all the filming at the time!

Have you also seen the Advert they were filming for on board at the same time?

=

I was disappointed in the show. I thought the Oasis one was done so much better...

I completely agree. While I did watch it and tape it (and I will probably watch it again), I didn't feel it was done well. As members on this board, we know the various glitches and such that happened on the inagural, but of course, the show touched on none of those. :p

Run a wire across the boarder and tap their cable.

It would have to have been a 32 mile cable. I grew up on Lake Erie's southern shore. We should see Long Point, ON from my bedroom window. In the early days of cable we got several Canadian stations and I developed a love for Curling. I guess I'll wait a year.

Just an FYI for our American Members. Do a schedule check on the Discovery Channel in your particular area. When I checked for our area they are showing Naked and Afraid from 6PM until 10PM.:eek:

I wish they would change the name of that to Blurred and Afraid.

Dec 1 Bayonne

Dec 2 at sea

Dec 3 at sea

Dec 4 San Juan

Dec 5 St Marten

Dec 6 Martinique

Dec 7 Barbados

Dec 8 St Kitts

Dec 9 at sea

Dec 10 at sea

Dec 11 at sea

Yes in chatting with a friend who was on the sailing I messaged to see if if St Maarten was on the itinerary since they omitted it from the itinerary graphic they put on the screen. I was waiting to see a bit of Mama Mia too.

I completely agree. While I did watch it and tape it (and I will probably watch it again), I didn't feel it was done well. As members on this board, we know the various glitches and such that happened on the inagural, but of course, the show touched on none of those. :p

This was not the inaugural sailing that they showcased. It was the Dec 1 sailing which they referred to on the show as 'her debut Caribbean sailing'

I believe it's Personal Video Recorder.

Those goofy Canadians, they just have to be different. Though, up there when you hear, "Pizza Pizza" its actually decent pizza unlike here.

It would have to have been a 32 mile cable. I grew up on Lake Erie's southern shore. We should see Long Point, ON from my bedroom window. In the early days of cable we got several Canadian stations and I developed a love for Curling. I guess I'll wait a year.

We probably have longer tunnels than that running under the southern boarder.:eek:

I thought the show was good. The Captain had a few challenges along the way.

The one thing it did confirm is, I will never sail out of a cold weather port when headed to a warm climate.

Emmy, did I see you on TV?

Agree...they couldn't even use a bunch of the facilities that are outside (flowrider, pools, etc).

Great documentary though. I liked too how careful they were when the technology malfunctioned in the show.

Not sure which version of the show that you watched, but the glitches in the high wire act (main showroom) and the non-functioning air conditioning which shutdown the star gondola thingy, were both featured.

...VTX-Al

This was not the inaugural sailing that they showcased. It was the Dec 1 sailing which they referred to on the show as 'her debut Caribbean sailing'

Thank you.

Not sure which version of the show that you watched...

Yes, I already stand corrected on which sailing they recorded.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Have you also seen the Advert they were filming for on board at the same time?

=

Hey sparkx! You probably noticed I used the pic you took for me as my avatar :D

Thx for the advert link... I watched them do about 50 takes of that specific scene at the pool deck where he runs to grab the forgotten glasses for over 2 hours just for 2 seconds of film. What a joke! And regarding the actual documentary, I've seen a bazillion times better info/pics/video here on CC with DEX's videos and various reviews from great CC members. I think even I did better with my All Access Tour review! :p