Less Formal (Gala) Nights???

jaspersmycat

HAL announced a while back that the number of formal/gala nights was been in reduced to about one per week. Has anyone actually experienced less formal/gala nights?

I'm going on the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings starting next week and the edocs say we have 9 formal nights. I'm hoping when we get on board that number will be reduced.

So anyone had less than 2/week?

It will probably depend on the ship, itinerary, captain, CD, hotel manager as each seems to do their own thing.

From HAL's site:

Evening Dress

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Gala Attire or Smart Casual. Most evenings, Smart Casual is appropriate and can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and a skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Shorts, flip-flops, swimwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are best left to daytime and the poolside.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen, while ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown. On Grand Voyages, many gentlemen choose formal attire. Formalwear for gentlemen can be pre-ordered for use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or (305) 252-6565. For more information, please visit cruiselineformal.com. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

The number of Gala Nights on your cruise depends upon the duration of the voyage. The number of Gala Nights for collector voyages is based upon the duration of each individual voyage of the ship.

Voyages of 28 days or fewer will follow the schedule below for Formal evenings:

Voyage duration Number of Gala NightsLess than 7 days

7 - 13 days

14 - 20 days

21 - 28 days

More than 28 days

1 Formal evening

2 Formal evenings

3 Formal evenings

4 Formal evenings

Varies based on cruise schedule

On our 30 day last year (before the "rules" changed), our 8 days were cut back to 6 formals. I'm pretty sure you won't have 9 especially on a busy itinerary.

On our 33 day next year, I think it's 5? But my memory is short ;)

Sorry -- it didn't come up in the format that I saw on HAL:

Less than 7 days -- none

7 - 13 days -- 1 Formal evening

14 - 20 days -- 2 Formal evenings

21 - 28 days -- 3 Formal evenings

more than 28 days -- 4 Formal evenings -- varies based on cruise Schedule.

This is interesting. Is there a start date for this plan? Our docs for our cruise at the end of August show 2 formal nights in 7 days. The dress code description when I scroll down through the docs uses only the word "formal," never "gala."

Interesting development. For those of us used to 2 on a 7 day cruise, picking out the night for the two formal dinners was fairly easy. I wonder if they'll now make it the middle night? With only only one sea day on our forthcoming Canada/New England cruise, that would be a good choice, but it's late in itinerary.

The change also means that I'm less inclined to bring along proper dress for a gala evening if there is only one.

HAL announced a while back that the number of formal/gala nights was been in reduced to about one per week. Has anyone actually experienced less formal/gala nights?

I'm going on the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings starting next week and the edocs say we have 9 formal nights. I'm hoping when we get on board that number will be reduced.

So anyone had less than 2/week?

Do you mean fewer formal nights, or nights that are less formal?

Interesting development. For those of us used to 2 on a 7 day cruise, picking out the night for the two formal dinners was fairly easy. I wonder if they'll now make it the middle night? With only only one sea day on our forthcoming Canada/New England cruise, that would be a good choice, but it's late in itinerary.

The change also means that I'm less inclined to bring along proper dress for a gala evening if there is only one.

I did Canada New England in May. There were 2 formal/gala nights each week.

I was told that there would be two formal nights in a 7-day cruise, and one additional night for every additional week.

That may or may not be how it shakes out, but that was the word not too long ago. It also seems to fall in line with the table listed above, if the table was rewritten off by one.

Do they enforce no flip flops? I bought a black floor length evening dress and was planning on wearing my new black flip flops. Will that be a problem?

Also, are long tops and leggings permitted for regular dinner nights in the dining room? I'm overweight and find the long tops with leggings make me look the nicest.

I have another question about formal night. We are on a 3 week Mediterranean cruise in August. Edocs said 4 formal nights. From reading different posts the consensus was that the formal nights are usually held on sea days. Our itinerary has been changed to replace Tunis with Olbia. The first Le Cirque for the cruise was the night we left Tunis. With the change of itinerary what was a a sea day is now Olbia and what was Tunis is now a sea day - resulting with Le Cirque now being held on a sea day! My question is - will they change Le Cirque to a different night or hold it the same night as a formal night? Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by freanesi

Do they enforce no flip flops? I bought a black floor length evening dress and was planning on wearing my new black flip flops. Will that be a problem?

The dress code doesn't extend to footwear, so your selection should be all right. Besides, the floor length gown will cover them for the most part.

Heck, if anyone says anything negative, just take them off and walk around barefoot! :D

Many people have foot problems, so getting shoes that work is a challenge. There have been times my feet were so swollen that I had to take my shoes off; other times I wore slippers. Ugly, but it was a necessity.

Edited by RuthC