Specialty restaurant first night?

jabrown40

Is there a reason not to do a specialty restaurant the first night? I noticed there is a 20% discount for first night reservations, but I'm wondering if there's a reason people don't like to do a specialty restaurant their first night out?

Some just like to settle in to their assigned dining.

I think that the first night is perfect for specialty dining as it seems to me that the Dining rooms are a bit more chaotic than other nights. Just my $.02

I agree, usually first night is quiet in Specialties and you get real good service. The only reason not to do one is if you are in Blu as they usually do Filet Mignon on the first night.

I agree, usually first night is quiet in Specialties and you get real good service. The only reason not to do one is if you are in Blu as they usually do Filet Mignon on the first night.

I think DW is going to want to go to BLU that night, if I tell her;) Although, she may not know we can go to BLU :)

Edited by kenevenpar

I think DW is going to want to go to BLU that night, if I tell her;) Although, she may not know we can go to BLU :)

Not sure if you are aware, but BLU is accessible only to Aqua Class and Suites. They are very strict on this - not even allowing Aqua gets to bring a guest to dine with them, even if sailing solo and having paid for 2 people.

Edited by cle-guy

We always dine in a speciality first night. MDR despite all the efforts of the staff is always chaotic. Even in Blu and Luminae everyone comes in as unknowns. By second night water, drinks....are being predicted and everything is much calmer.

It is also a great way to kick start the holiday. When I have eaten my onion soup, rib eye steak and chocolate fondu in Tuscan I know I am on holiday!

Not sure if you are aware, but BLU is accessible only to Aqua Class and Suites. They are very strict on this - not even allowing Aqua gets to bring a guest to dine with them, even if sailing solo and having paid for 2 people.

Yup, well aware. I'm not a big BLU fan, but DW may want to go there if I tell her that we can.:D

Look forward to meeting you on Summit in October!

Reasons for eating in specialty restaurants the first night:

price reduction

chaos in MDR

reserve a preferable time

generally not crowded

menu choice agrees with you as different than MDR

Those are the reasons I hear from different people. Enjoy your cruise!

Is there a reason not to do a specialty restaurant the first night? I noticed there is a 20% discount for first night reservations, but I'm wondering if there's a reason people don't like to do a specialty restaurant their first night out?

We've generally found the food to be fine the first night in the MDR. The staff can be quite rushed. A few reasons for this..New staff,current staff is frequently "rotated" around the MDR to different locations. We usually like to dine in the MDR the first night so as to interact & meet with the servers taking care of us. After that, if we are going to dine in the specialty rest. we can let them know ahead of time. We never just don't show up. I think that can be kind of rude.

The last few cruises I have been on in Aqua Class and they gave us 50% specialty dining the first night of our cruise. I think that is one of their perks.

How do you get a time to dine that is not past your bed time? We always sail AQUA and get offered the discount but when I call for dine time they normally offer 9 or 930 and since our bedtime is 10 that is to late to eat. Unfortunately we like to watch the sun come up from our balcony and have very early room service. Just joking on bed time but doctor says don't eat so late. We go to BLU after Elite+ cocktail hour and then have after dinner drink somehwere. Hope to get discount and suitable reservation time on next cruise.

Grace and Rudy

We always dine in a speciality first night. MDR despite all the efforts of the staff is always chaotic. Even in Blu and Luminae everyone comes in as unknowns. By second night water, drinks....are being predicted and everything is much calmer.

It is also a great way to kick start the holiday. When I have eaten my onion soup, rib eye steak and chocolate fondu in Tuscan I know I am on holiday!

Exactly what we do. Bistro and Five and then Tuscan Grill has been our first day/night routine for the last 6 cruises.

We have Luminae this next cruise, though, so we might go there. I'll be excited to try it.

FYI - there isn't always filet in Blu on the first night.

Depending on departure time and port it could be a great option to relax after the muster drill and/or catch some awesome views as you sail thru the Grand Canal in Venice or around the harbors of so many wonderful ports.

We've done it a couple of times even though we have sailed in Aqua since its inception.

I think all the people not cruising often or cruising for the first time don't go to specialty on the first night cause they are overwhelmed with all the impressions and dining options.

I always start looking for the 50% offer coupon when we get into our cabin and then book the restaurant. Great deal!

I think all the people not cruising often or cruising for the first time don't go to specialty on the first night cause they are overwhelmed with all the impressions and dining options.

Funny thing, my first cruise, which I booked on a relative whim with relatively little research about life on board, I didn't realize MDR was even there or how it worked till we boarded, I had pre-booked specialties (it was a 4 night Connie Cruise). I didn't find out about MDR until I got an invite to Captains table.

I didn't find cruise critic until after that cruise.

Now, I tend to do 1st night in MDR to meet table mates, and organize specialties among the group at the table for subsequent nights. Many times we have good luck in getting 20% discount for a group of 8 just by asking.

As we tend to dine by ourselves, we don't meet new table mates often. Our reason usually for not dining at the specialty restaurants on the first night is that often, we see "Prime rib" on the menu at the MDR and we can't seem to resist each and every time! :)

I prefer to hit the MDR the 1st and 2nd nights on board. I was able to get the 20% discount for the Murano on my last cruise when they asked if I wanted to go n the first night and when I asked if they'd give me the discount for a different night, they surprisingly agreed.