Rude Passengers

sarasfw

I know how to handle myself when confronted by rude people. I feel sorry for the crew members who are defenseless and have to remain mute or risk their jobs.

I can't begin to tell you how many crew members I've smiled at, apologized to, hugged and patted on the back! They appreciate the acknowledgement of others noticing that they've been treated badly by someone.

No one deserves to be treated in an unkind way, no one!

I can't begin to tell you how many crew members I've smiled at, apologized to, hugged and patted on the back! They appreciate the acknowledgement of others noticing that they've been treated badly by someone.

No one deserves to be treated in an unkind way, no one!

Sorry for your loss. Feel sure your late DH was actually a very nice person.

I had a man tell me on a cruise that he appreciated my being nice to his wife even though she was being a total _____. He told me that she'd been really sick and had not been her normal self. He'd hoped getting her away on a cruise would help ... but it hadn't. We never know what others are going through. :o

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Of course, there are always exceptions and it would behoove all of us to extend patience to our fellow passengers who appear to be misbehaving badly. But there are situations where it is obvious when people are just being rude and extending an air of feeling "privileged." It is this time when I feel that absence of action is a silent nod to the aggressor, it shows complicity.

I know how to handle myself when confronted by rude people. I feel sorry for the crew members who are defenseless and have to remain mute or risk their jobs.

We saw an American (I only mention this as it wasn't a cultural difference issue) of over 6 foot yelling at the young female crew member. Towering over her he said " I'll tell you how it's going to be..." And continued his rant. This was in a public area not at the passenger services desk.

This happened a few times on our cruise. I am amazed that anyone can find it acceptable to yell at the crew when they go to so much trouble to cater to passengers every wish to make people happy.

People constantly queue jumping is annoying but not as upsetting as seeing and hearing "entitled" people treating others who can't fight back with contempt.

Sometimes, with passenger services especially, you don't get the result you want. It's easy to come back another time and get a different crew member who might understand and be able to solve your problem.

As someone that has dealt with the general public for over 50 years, I can say that the 95 - 5 rule always seems to apply.

95% of the people are great The other 5% cause 95% of your grief.

The key is to never let the 5% spoil it for the other 95%.

Dixon

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for posting.

Sorry for your loss. Feel sure your late DH was actually a very nice person.

I had a man tell me on a cruise that he appreciated my being nice to his wife even though she was being a total _____. He told me that she'd been really sick and had not been her normal self. He'd hoped getting her away on a cruise would help ... but it hadn't. We never know what others are going through. :o

LuLu

Thank you! He was, at one time, the true light of my life! He was mine and his children's hero! We all loved him and knew that what he was going through was a horribly cruel infliction of unnecessary pain.

I thought that cruising [since he, at one time, was an avid boatsman] would bring him joy. It did but only for a very brief time and then he would lash-out at everyone! I must tell you it was terribly sad to watch!

The crew members onboard the Oosterdam should be given medals for the way in which they cared for him. It was the last time he cruised.

I have cruised since he passed and when I see someone who is just over-the-top-rude, I find myself smiling at them and wishing them well. Then I make sure that the person that they've attacked knows that I am witness to the poor behavior and that I'm sorry for it!!!

Again, I think others appreciate the acknowledgement and feel better knowing that they're not alone!

We saw an American (I only mention this as it wasn't a cultural difference issue) of over 6 foot yelling at the young female crew member. Towering over her he said " I'll tell you how it's going to be..." And continued his rant. This was in a public area not at the passenger services desk.

This happened a few times on our cruise. I am amazed that anyone can find it acceptable to yell at the crew when they go to so much trouble to cater to passengers every wish to make people happy.

People constantly queue jumping is annoying but not as upsetting as seeing and hearing "entitled" people treating others who can't fight back with contempt.

Sometimes, with passenger services especially, you don't get the result you want. It's easy to come back another time and get a different crew member who might understand and be able to solve your problem.

Sadly some people have learned that by being loud & obnoxious they often get their way. Unfortunately for customer service too often they get what they are not entitled to receive which reaffirms such bad behavior to continue to act that way. And if they don't get their way they'll spread their one sided rant on social media about terrible service.

The elevator situation 'nukesubsailor' posted happens much too often & it's just plain common decency to not act that way & to wait for others ahead of you. I understand that in some countries that's acceptable behavior however it's not acceptable on a cruise ship.

I've experienced health issues that turns a gentle soul into an angry person & I consider that possibility. However most of the rudeness anywhere is by self entitled jerks who squawk to get their way. As passengers we can respond to such rudeness but if it results in a confrontation then security can not always determine who is at fault & could disembark everyone at the next port.

Passengers have options on how to react but crew do not because even when they've done nothing wrong it can adversely affect their job which to some is their career. Thankfully it's very rare that I've seen crew being treated poorly but some people have forgotten the golden rule to treat others as we would like to be treated ourselves.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I think elevator behavior has become much worse in the last couple of years. On our Ruby TA last fall two people tried to jam their way onto a very crowded elevator as soon as the door opened. An elderly couple with the man using a walker was trying to get out--everyone was trying to tell the new riders that there was a man with a walker trying to get out. The woman who just got on tried to step out and the man she was with gripped her arm and wouldn't allow her to get out. We had already stepped out to make more room for the man to get out, and we just walked down the stairs instead of getting back in the elevator.

Not just rude people but those with poor personal hygiene as well. Can't stand both and have to walk away sometimes to chill before I get all work up and say something I may regret later.

LOL! You must be my twin or something. For instance, in the buffet, a woman picked up the crock of walnuts and proceeded to walk around the buffet area eating out of the crock. She acted like they put them out there just for her to hog. Don't get me going with the woman washing her mouth out in the ladies room on the Lido Deck - and other things she was doing that sent me reeling. We were on high Noro alert to boot! Is this a cultural thing - not in our American culture.:eek:

Know exactly what you mean.

The one's I feel tempted to say something to are those who feel that it is correct behaviour to force their way into the lift (elevator) as soon as the doors open and before those who wish to get out have had a chance to leave.

Give in to the temptation once in awhile. It can be fun

Life is too short to get upset over someone's bad behavior towards others, but when I see someone abusing another with their attitude, I say nothing, but make sure the person can see what my children called The Look! Then I make sure I have a happy, cheery word for the victim - not necessarily out of the bully's hearing! Then I let the entire incident go and get on with my life.

I must live and cruise in a bubble. I have seen some heated conversations at passenger services, but I have never seen anything like you describe. Especially not a few times on the same cruise.

I suppose someday I may witness this animal.

Life is too short to get upset over someone's bad behavior towards others, but when I see someone abusing another with their attitude, I say nothing, but make sure the person can see what my children called The Look!

LOL. Mine talk about "The Look" too and threaten their own kids with it, but they claim no one does it like mom. :D

Not just rude people but those with poor personal hygiene as well. Can't stand both and have to walk away sometimes to chill before I get all work up and say something I may regret later.

Especially on a crowded elevator! Often that's a cultural thing. I guess their noses don't notice what we do. Saying something about the odor might just get you a blank stare. "What odor?"

Good for you. To ignore bad behavior that affects you just encourages those people to continue that bad behavior. I have calmly and politely informed those who try to board an elevator before allowing anyone to get off that they would find more room in the elevator if they would stand to the side until those wanting off make their exit. On my last cruise my wife and I were the only ones in the elevator lobby on our deck when I called an elevator. The elevator closest to us indicated it would be the next one to reach our floor. Before it stopped, 3 ladies of about 75 years of age entered the lobby. My wife and I stood to the side of the elevator door as it opened. Before anyone could get off and we could get on, those 3 ladies dashed clear across the lobby and pushed their way into the already crowded elevator. I kind of lost it then and told them that it certainly paid to be first in line and that they were rude anal orifices. They had an embarrassed look on their faces as the elevator doors closed and left my wife and I to take another elevator.

I still think replacing stairs with escalators would solve the problem of crowded elevators.

For those able-bodied people who CAN manage stairs and escalators , yes certainly. But there is the possibility of the selfish bullies deliberately knocking someone over in THEIR impatience to be 1st in line for whatever. I need to use a Rollator walking frame for independent safe mobility, have poor balance so loathe escalators, and the number of persons older than I am with bad manners is shocking to say the least. I accidently went in front of an elderly gentleman, as soon as my friend alerted me, I humbly apologised for my "rudeness" to him. It didn't bother him, he realised from my peering at the window displays I had a sight problem, but I felt awful. Equally, some of the younger generation could make the elders blush in shame! I've had a young boy get me something from the bottom shelf of the supermarket, his mother came hurrying up, starting to scold him for getting under the shelf, saw me and realised he was helping me. I thanked him for getting out the bottles of Coke that were right at the back of the shelf for me, and praised his mother for teaching her son to help someone else where he could-I'd been trying to use a walking stick to get the bottles where I could grab them, much easier with his willing help! She told him she was sorry for thinking he was being naughty, she didn't understand he was helping a lady get some shopping into her basket safely. He's now at university, studying to become a Doctor.

Edited by crochetcruise

bottle

For those able-bodied people who CAN manage stairs certainly. But there is the possibility of the selfish bullies deliberately knocking someone over in THEIR impatience to be 1st in line for whatever. I need to use a Rollator walking frame for independent safe mobility, and the number of persons older than I am with bad manners is shocking to say the least. I accidently went in front of an elderly gentleman, as soon as my friend alerted me, I humbly apologised for my "rudeness" to him. It didn't bother him, he realised from my peering at the window displays I had a sight problem, but I felt awful. Equally, some of the younger generation could make the elders blush in shame! I've had a young boy get me something from the bottom shelf of the supermarket, his mother came hurrying up, starting to scold him for getting under the shelf, saw me and realised he was helping me. I thanked him for getting out the bottles of Coke that were right at the back of the shelf for me, and praised his mother for teaching her son to help someone else where he could-I'd been trying to use a walking stick to get the bottles where I could grab them, much easier with his willing help! She told him she was sorry for thinking he was being naughty, she didn't understand he was helping a lady get some shopping into her basket safely. He's now at university, studying to become a Doctor.

I have a mobility issue. I, currently, use no aids, but can easily be knocked over or left in severe pain by someone bumping or pushing against the wrong spot.

No greater percentage of rude people at sea than on land.

I think we notice them more since they are all on a small ship with us out on the water, not just some random jerks we encounter in WalMart or somewhere else on land. On a ship, you tend to see the same rude people being rude over and over.

I have a mobility issue. I, currently, use no aids, but can easily be knocked over or left in severe pain by someone bumping or pushing against the wrong spot.

Oh dear! Just a thought, I know it's a nuisance to have a stick with you, but I've noticed people "seem" to understand, when they see a walking stick, that the person has poor balance and give them some space. Equally, each person's circumstances and medical condition/s demand individual treatment. I have hassles daily with what I must do for Cerebral Palsy clashing with Legal Blindness, clashing with Osteoporosis-it's a constant, juggling, and dealing with varying needs act. Add changing weather conditions and bystanders crowding too close, and it's scary!

All the best to you

President Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick". I am most able bodied, but take a foldable cane with me on a cruise. It does help with stability and there are many other uses for the cane...just saying.

Rudeness crosses all age groups, ethnic groups, and gender. Really now, how hard is it to be nice?

President Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick". I am most able bodied, but take a foldable cane with me on a cruise. It does help with stability and there are many other uses for the cane...just saying.

Rudeness crosses all age groups, ethnic groups, and gender. Really now, how hard is it to be nice?

For some people nigh on impossible.

Just read any thread here on CC that deal with tipping or formal nights.

No one is ever rude in their own mind. Whether they post here or are posted about. In many unfortunate interactions both sides come across the same way.

some people are more than capable of being deliberately rude.

No one is ever rude in their own mind. Whether they post here or are posted about. In many unfortunate interactions both sides come across the same way.

If they both come across as bing rude, perhaps they are both rude.

But I concede sometimes on a forum such as this things can be taken the wrong way.