Rude Passengers

sarasfw

San Francisco is the worst of the worst! You don't have to apologize for their bad behavior, but I'd like to know how they developed those habits? Taking bowls of fruit from the buffet and taking them to a table for everyone in their clan to feast on. Picking up a crock of walnuts and walking around the buffet eating out of the crock as if that crock was put there for them only. I could go on and on, but it would surely tick some people off here. I won't blame it on a cultural thing, no, I blame it on a lack of respect for others. Emily Dickinson would call it "manners."

But don't you know that respect for others and "Manners" are old fashioned, it is rude of you to even raise these things. :p;)

San Francisco is the worst of the worst!...

Being a Bay Area native, I feel it only fair to mention that there are relatively few SF natives living in SF. There has been a major influx of people relocating from other parts of the US as well as other countries due to the latest tech boom there.

There are polite people and rude people in every port and every cruise. They are (thankfully) only a small group but lets us not be complacent and let it grow into a larger uncaring selfish mob. When that happens, I will stop cruising.:(

There are polite people and rude people in every port and every cruise. They are (thankfully) only a small group but lets us not be complacent and let it grow into a larger uncaring selfish mob. When that happens, I will stop cruising.:(

Best advice I've heard all evening. Thank you very much. Add me to the list of "really nice people". I try to be, at least.

Would you please clarify a few questions for me? I

I am not sure why this happened on so many of my coastals. They were mostly first generation Asians.

I apologize for those that have been impacted by their behavior. You will find very polite Asians from Hawaii and other parts of the world.

No need for you to apologize and I'm sure you are very respectful, as we are, of others. I agree with you that this seems to be more prevalent on the west coast for some reason. Hope you weren't offended as that was not my intent, only wanted to respond to a previous comment. Hope you enjoy many more cruises.

Sadly, it is very common. For some reason cruising brings out the worst in some people. 'Courtesy costs nothing'.

We cruise a lot and our own policy is, to try to learn the languages of the staff, such as good morning, please, thank you. The staff really appreciate this. We have met many of the staff over and over and we are surprised when they recognize us. We asked one member how they would remember us over the thousands of people they meet. Answer: we always remember the nice passengers.

Gotta make a comment on the elevator thing. On a recent cruise, we were waiting for the elevator. It came, the doors opened and there were 3 girls in their early 20's inside. My DH and I stood to the side to let them out. All 3 had their noses buried in their cell phones and hadn't even noticed the elevator had stopped. The doors started to close so my DH caught them and I started to enter the elevator assuming the 3 girls were staying on. Right then one of them looked up from her phone, and snapped at me, "you are rude! you are supposed to let people off before you get on"!

I think my jaw dropped to the floor and I followed her out of the elevator and called her a few choice names which was very immature of me but I was just so offended!

I think people need to get their noses out of their electronic devices and pay attention to what goes on around them.

I would have done the same thing, and I grow really tired of the people that can't get there face out of the device and sometimes being immature feels really good.

I think a lot of this rudeness in elevators is just plain inexperience using them. We assume people are using elevators regularly and in fact they aren't. Escalators are used more.

We have seen people waiting for an elevator without pressing the call button for example. There are those that don't want to share the car with others. Some people feel they should never have to wait for one. Common courtesy is lost when it comes to elevators and shows a lack of knowledge of usage of the them.

Princess should include a lesson in elevator etiquette at the muster drill. :D

Yeah, buffet is as bad as elevator when it comes to rudeness. Like when someone would load up the whole plate with one particular popular food item and leave none for the people standing behind him/her. Or they would double back and try to cut in line because they forgot to get this one particular item when they went through the buffet line.

Uh, this is a Princess Cruises thread. There are no buffet "lines" on Princess (except for the Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess... the ONLY thing I don't like about Ocean Princess).

My DH suffered from a nerve disease that was so painful that it changed his personality on a daily basis.

He would become angry at everyone he encountered and I would try and intercede before the poor souls came in contact with him.

He was truly a lovely man but when he was in pain, the whole world suffered.

I would feel so badly for him because I knew what was going on, the public did not. But, if they came close to him in an elevator, at the market, standing in line or on an airplane he would "bark" at them in an angry tone. He loved to travel but it was becoming increasingly more and more difficult for him and for me to watch him.

He recently passed away but not before he terrorized every nurse and doctor in the hospital.

So, next time someone "barks" at you or you see them acting badly towards someone else, it may not be something they really mean but something that is happening to them and they can't help it! My husbands illness taught me a lot and gave me great insight into human behavior. It may not be a good excuse for poor behavior but it may be an explanation.

I wish I could apologize to EVERYONE who had to bear witness to my DH's rages and pray that I NEVER have to experience such sadness again!

Dear Roz and Horton , I am so sorry for your loss. Parts of your story are so similar to my mother(best friend) 's , illness and passing. As an extremely polite southern woman, I understand how you felt in those moments and I also understand having different perspectives now. Thank you for sharing. As you probably know...it doesn't get easier (with time) just different.

Edited by newcruzer2

we all meet rude people everyday in one form or another? it may be in the workplace or walking along the street, or possibly on the holiday that you have worked/waited and saved up for all year ?

don't get angry or react hastily, because that's what they want you to do.

all rude people just need a "high-five"..........on the head......with a chair.

see, problem solved ? :D

I like that! ;)

Uh, this is a Princess Cruises thread. There are no buffet "lines" on Princess (except for the Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess... the ONLY thing I don't like about Ocean Princess).

Cafe Caribe on the ships that have it (in addition to the Horizon Court) also has "lines" like the Pacific and Ocean.

What would you consider the Horizon Court if not a buffet?

Tom

Poster meant just one line to go around the entire buffet.

The Horizon Court has a number of food stations, so there is not a single line for all of the food.

The Horizon Court has a number of food stations, so there is not a single line for all of the food.

Multiple lines around the various buffet stations is still preferable to the one line for all of it.

Oh. I've seen a number of buffets where there were 1+ lines, that I'd consider to be buffets but I understand what the poster meant now. Thanks for explaining. Really had me scratching my head on that one! :confused: Learned something new!

Tom

Dear Roz and Horton , I am so sorry for your loss. Parts of your story are so similar to my mother(best friend) 's , illness and passing. As an extremely polite southern woman, I understand how you felt in those moments and I also understand having different perspectives now. Thank you for sharing. As you probably know...it doesn't get easier (with time) just different.

Thank you so much for your kind words......I hope to see you onboard!

We had lunch with a lady in Vancouver who had just lost her husband to cancer, and this was her solo cruise just to get out of the house. Definitely NOT the rude passenger you want to respond in kind to! But it takes sitting down over lunch to realize that's what's going on. I don't even want to call her rude--just maybe, self-absorbed at the moment for very understandable reasons.

For some reason the elevators seem to bring out the worse behavior in people.

I am extremely ashamed to admit that we became "those people" on our last cruise (albeit accidentally). I was at the end of the recovery period after having major ankle surgery just before last Christmas. All the walking onshore had taken its toll and I was having severe difficulty walking on it. Combine this with me very stupidly having burnt the tops of my feet in the sun on Tenerife and walking was virtually impossible. We borrowed a wheelchair from the ship to get me about a bit more easily and were attempting to get back to our cabin immediately after the end of the later evening show. Several lifts had come and gone without us being able to get into one, so I told my wife to just blithely push me into the next one that came along otherwise we'd be there all night. She did, and then to my shame a little voice piped up "Actually, we were wanting to get out at this floor...". I felt terrible, and still do.

To be honest, we didn't encounter much rudeness during our fortnight onboard Ventura aside from the usual sun-lounger hogging or queue jumping when disembarking in port.

It seems like the cruise ship elevators are a bit narrower than what I'm used to on land. That might have something to do with it: subconsciously we are used to people getting off on the right, and people entering on their right. But on a cruise ship you've got a full elevator, and too narrow to have "lanes". But we pay no thought to it--to us elevators are elevators.

Edited by tetleytea