Review of Formal Nights

mcrcruiser

OK, I'll wade into this minefield.

I think the way things are now, with some cruises still formal (sadly only Cunard) and others "anything goes," the cruise industry offers something for everyone.

I love formal nights, it's one of the many reasons I like Cunard so much. DH takes his tux, I take gowns, and EVERYONE dresses to the nines. It's very special. They still have Captain's cocktail parties and World Club (past passenger) parties, so there's a reason beyond dinner to dress up. Cunard passengers don't go back to the cabin to change into shorts after dinner. People stay in their posh duds. It's elegant, yet at the same time it isn't stuffy.

HAL (and some others) pretend to have formal nights. They're wishy-washy about how they describe "suggested" or "appropriate" dress that "most people choose to wear." And the enforcement of the "dress code" varies widely from ship to ship. They need to decide on a style/dress code and stick with it. At this point, if HAL went to "resort casual" every night, I wouldn't stop sailing with them. If they want to still have "gala nights," then they should make the evening Gala. And sorry, HAL, but marching staff through the dining room and having passengers wave their napkins in the air (Am I the only one who thinks that's disgusting?????) is not a GALA event.

And, of course, there are the "wear what you want, eat when you want, do what you want," cruises. I wouldn't go on them. Not only because of the lack of formal nights. There are a lot of reasons I won't go on them. But other people do, and that's fine.

As I said, something for everyone. We just have to each find our own "something."

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Should cruise lines still require formal /suits ie or country casual since airlines are now downsizing the carry on size suit case ?

What is your opinion :)

Have never and still do not understand what airline luggage size/weight/cost/etc restrictions have to do with formal nights on a ship :rolleyes: The airlines never have and never will dictate how I choose to dress. The extra costs are simply something we choose to pay or use as an excuse for wanting to dress more casually than suggested by the cruise lines in their advertising and literature.

Regardless of the cruise line or what their policies may state (or cleverly omit to state), all their brochures depict people dressed far better than what we actually see on cruise ships. That is the option we choose to follow.

Edited by taxmantoo

OK, I'll wade into this minefield.

I think the way things are now, with some cruises still formal (sadly only Cunard) and others "anything goes," the cruise industry offers something for everyone.

I love formal nights, it's one of the many reasons I like Cunard so much. DH takes his tux, I take gowns, and EVERYONE dresses to the nines. It's very special. They still have Captain's cocktail parties and World Club (past passenger) parties, so there's a reason beyond dinner to dress up. Cunard passengers don't go back to the cabin to change into shorts after dinner. People stay in their posh duds. It's elegant, yet at the same time it isn't stuffy.

HAL (and some others) pretend to have formal nights. They're wishy-washy about how they describe "suggested" or "appropriate" dress that "most people choose to wear." And the enforcement of the "dress code" varies widely from ship to ship. They need to decide on a style/dress code and stick with it. At this point, if HAL went to "resort casual" every night, I wouldn't stop sailing with them. If they want to still have "gala nights," then they should make the evening Gala. And sorry, HAL, but marching staff through the dining room and having passengers wave their napkins in the air (Am I the only one who thinks that's disgusting?????) is not a GALA event.

And, of course, there are the "wear what you want, eat when you want, do what you want," cruises. I wouldn't go on them. Not only because of the lack of formal nights. There are a lot of reasons I won't go on them. But other people do, and that's fine.

As I said, something for everyone. We just have to each find our own "something."

The napkin waving is gross. I wish Hal would end gala nights. The menu has been dumbed down from formal so they should dumb down the dress code too. I had no problem dressing for formal when the experience reflected that. I'm not sure what a smaller carry on has to do with formal. People used to use luggage weight as an excuse. Now it's carry on. Interesting.

We go casual and avoid the MDR. Because we want to. We do carry on but that is beside the point.

Why....formal nights used to be special. Now, the only thing special is the place setting and the wait staff attire. The food is blue plate banquet special tarted up with some parsley and the level of service has been greatly reduced.

We have no plans to carry along extra clothes for what to us can seem punishing in comparison to the dining alternatives. Just our opinion.

No issue with keeping it going for those who like it though. Just don't expect us to hide in our room all night because that will not happen.

But we tend not to pack our ripped, greasy jeans, our old tshirts, baseball caps, or our flip flops. We do not own any of the aforesaid items.

The OP was correct. Formal nights/gala nights on HAL are very much a pretend event. Could not agree more with the napkin waving business.....hate it. It is too muck like being at a children's party for us.

Edited by iancal

Have never and still do not understand what airline luggage size/weight/cost/etc restrictions have to do with formal nights on a ship :rolleyes: The airlines never have and never will dictate how I choose to dress. The extra costs are simply something we choose to pay or use as an excuse for wanting to dress more casually than suggested by the cruise lines in their advertising and literature.

Regardless of the cruise line or what their policies may state (or cleverly omit to state), all their brochures depict people dressed far better than what we actually see on cruise ships. That is the option we choose to follow.

You are SO right. Take a look at an Oceania brochure which is "country club casual" and I have been having a devil of a time figuring out what "country club casual is". Turns out it's different things to different people. Just like formal nights are.

If it's formal/gala night, then we dress accordingly.;)

Lots of cruise lines to choose from out there.

We go casual and avoid the MDR. Because we want to. We do carry on but that is beside the point.

Why....formal nights used to be special. Now, the only thing special is the place setting and the wait staff attire. The food is blue plate banquet special tarted up with some parsley and the level of service has been greatly reduced.

We have no plans to carry along extra clothes for what to us can seem punishing in comparison to the dining alternatives. Just our opinion.

No issue with keeping it going for those who like it though. Just don't expect us to hide in our room all night because that will not happen.

But we tend not to pack our ripped, greasy jeans, our old tshirts, baseball caps, or our flip flops. We do not own any of the aforesaid items.

Totally agree.

At some point HAL will change or at least make is optional. So for those that want to get dressed up can. Sooner or later the demographic that loves the tux and gown scene will get smaller and smaller. Similar to the smoking rules.

Dan

Totally agree.

At some point HAL will change or at least make is optional. So for those that want to get dressed up can. Sooner or later the demographic that loves the tux and gown scene will get smaller and smaller. Similar to the smoking rules.

Dan

I remember posters predicting the demise of formal night within a couple of years. That was about five years ago. I wish both the smoking and formal nights would end.

I agree with those who have brought up the formal night menus. I think it is really important that the dinner served is special; otherwise the whole thing could become kind of a farce. While I recognize there has been some slippage here, I don't see that this aspect has gone over the cliff yet.

As for the younger generation wanting to be casual, I see it trending the other way. We have kids in their late 20s, early 30s, and they and their friends like to play dress-up. Not so many sequins as we elders like, but they are very into the selfies and are happy to dress for them.

As for DH and me....we've never paid an overweight fee for luggage, but we always participate fully in formal nights and enjoy them very much. I view it as an onboard activity. We'll continue to travel with cruise lines that offer gala nights, formal nights, whatever they choose to call them. We avoid the "do your own thing" lines.

First of all we do not travel with just a carry on each person.

Ours small to begin with.

We don't do cruises less than 14 days and we do several days pre cruise and post cruise.

Thus we have 4 large suitcases. No problem packing a suit and jacket and ties for DH and some fancy clothes for me.

I will never - ever - understand why others give a flying flip what someone else wears.

At our church there is everything from three-piece suits to board shorts and flipflops. My rule is if God doesn't care, I can't either.

I will never - ever - understand why others give a flying flip what someone else wears.

At our church there is everything from three-piece suits to board shorts and flipflops. My rule is if God doesn't care, I can't either.

I will never understand why cruise lines serve wine in fancy glasses. It tastes the same in my red solo cup.

And tablecloths just get in the way when i scrape my mash potatoes off the table.

China? Just go with paper plates - with the money you save, just throw down an extra hot dog on my chinet

And what the hell is ambiance anyway?

Edited by JPH814

We're quite ambivalent about Formal, oops, Gala Nights. They neither break nor make our cruise and we sometimes opt out but usually attend. We meet the dress code when we do attend, because we think it's the thing to do, but we aren't horrified if someone shows up in more casual clothing. Given the choice, we'd prefer to see smart casual all nights, but we aren't going to lose any sleep over the issue.

I will never understand why cruise lines serve wine in fancy glasses. It tastes the same in my red solo cup.

And tablecloths just get in the way when i scrape my mash potatoes off the table.

China? Just go with paper plates - with the money you save, just throw down an extra hot dog on my chinet

And what the hell is ambiance anyway?

None of those have anything to do with dress or how violent others get discussing it.

Yes it does. Ambiance is created by everything in the dining room, including the attire of the guests. That is why the dress code exists, to create an atmosphere of civility and class. It contributes to the enjoyability of the evening.

Edited by JPH814

It's been my opinion for a while that the mass market lines are keeping formal nights alive solely for the income opportunities from the photography department. I also wonder at what point, as the cruising demographic changes and some of us age out of cruising, the tidal wave of "selfies" will do in cruise photographers.

Yes it does. Ambiance is created by everything in the dining room, including the attire of the guests. That is why the dress code exists, to create an atmosphere of civility and class. It contributes to the enjoyability of the evening.

I an eat at Per SE next to a guy in a toga and not have it interfere with my dining experience.

Banquet food isn't lending to refined ambiance. Feel free to dress to the nines, I'm sure you look great. Or dress in a polo shot and jeans, I'm sure you'll also look great.

I can't care less either way.

It's been my opinion for a while that the mass market lines are keeping formal nights alive solely for the income opportunities from the photography department. I also wonder at what point, as the cruising demographic changes and some of us age out of cruising, the tidal wave of "selfies" will do in cruise photographers.

Excellent observation about the ship photographers & formal night picture taking;) . You have hit that nail square on its head;) .

I like the formal or gala night idea. It's a glamorous touch to a wonderful holiday. My DD is 14 and loves the idea of a formal night. I don't think we can "blame" the young for casual trends. Even in my small city people dress for occasions and do it with flair. It is a working town so the demographic is quite young. In Vancouver, the closest big city, you will see the younger professionals all dressed to impress and they look marvellous for their night out. Galas are just that with tuxes and glitter.

If a dining room offers a dress code, it should be complied with for the benefit of the ambience for others. Perhaps they could have gala or formal night in the specialty dining and leave the main dining to the casual masses. It would be a shame to see it go altogether.

I an eat at Per SE next to a guy in a toga and not have it interfere with my dining experience.

Banquet food isn't lending to refined ambiance. Feel free to dress to the nines, I'm sure you look great. Or dress in a polo shot and jeans, I'm sure you'll also look great.

I can't care less either way.

I can, however, care less about those who flaunt the rules and conventions. But I don't.

Excellent observation about the ship photographers & formal night picture taking;) . You have hit that nail square on its head;) .

I disagree. Some of us enjoy the formal experience. It is one of the few opportunities to wear formal dress. .

Even though we pass on the MDR and remain in casual attire, we very much enjoy formal nights. It gives us a good reason to try alternative dining venues-most especially on cruise line that offer multiple informal dining venues on those nights...Princess, Celebrity, RCI, etc. Would like to see HAL's Lido open later but it is not such a big deal

We are all in favour of formal nights. People enjoy them and it is in all probability good for HAL's revenue.

Just because we do not attend is no reason to assume that we do not like HAL or should be selecting an alternate cruise line. To suggest this would imply that the only good thing about HAL is their formal nights. We believe that there is more to HAL than formal nights.