Have Princess went downhill? Or just Caribbean Princess?

Vespa vixen

Has anyone here seen "Fiera" on Regal? It was awesome compared to the usual song and dance numbers. And sorry, but eleven years is OLD for a ship (our balcony was really rusty). Do you drive an eleven year old car?

Skywalkers was dead on my CB cruise. Although it did have a great view!

Vespa - Do the kids help pick the cruise? I can't imagine any teenager being interested in a production show or lounge act.

Yes, saw it last year on the Regal and thought it to be one of the best at sea!

...I think the logical thing to do is build larger theaters.

They don't generate revenue (except for some drink sales during shows), so I don't see this happening unless they start charging to see the live productions. I suppose at that point they could also show first-run films in the daytime and charge for them, too. I probably shouldn't give them any ideas :rolleyes:.

The condition of the ship is one thing but entertainment is something else entirely. Performers move from ship to ship (or cruise line to cruise line). So while one can say that "the performers we saw on the Caribbean Princess were not as good as what we have grown used to", it wouldn't be fair to say: the Caribbean Princess has worse entertainment than the other ships." What one experiences in May will not be there in November in all likelihood. And many of the shows are the same from ship to ship. FWIW, my cruise on CB in April had the best individual performers I have seen in a long time. But I'm fairly certain that none of them are still on that ship. So the ship itself simply cannot be blamed.

They don't generate revenue (except for some drink sales during shows)

And probably even less revenue on the Royal and Regal which have no place to put a drink down in the Princess Theater except on the floor.

Personally we have never seen a "big show" at sea that we would have paid extra for, some pretty good guests some great magicians and comedians, some talented musicians, but big shows, sorry!!!!

Personally we have never seen a "big show" at sea that we would have paid extra for, some pretty good guests some great magicians and comedians, some talented musicians, but big shows, sorry!!!!

RCCL is doing some shows like Mama Mia, Cats and Saturday Night Fever. NCL has some shows that I wouldn't see (Blue Man Group).

Here's a story from couple of entertainers from ships, won't name them. They say pay is paltry, hours are long and hard and no one wants to sign up for shows aboard a ship unless they want to travel for awhile because they are gone for 6 months. Also, if you were injured they were like football coaches, Dr you up and send you out. One is very, very talented, a lead singer and is moving into show biz in Ca or NY. The company owns you for 6 months. The advantages are you see a lot of the world but they had to be back aboard ship at 11 AM so touring a place like Busan, Korea meant going to the internet cafe, getting a coffee, emailing friends and some computer time then rushing back.

Edited by WupperAV

Here's a story from couple of entertainers from ships, won't name them. They say pay is paltry, hours are long and hard and no one wants to sign up for shows aboard a ship unless they want to travel for awhile because they are gone for 6 months. Also, if you were injured they were like football coaches, Dr you up and send you out. One is very, very talented, a lead singer and is moving into show biz in Ca or NY. The company owns you for 6 months. The advantages are you see a lot of the world but they had to be back aboard ship at 11 AM so touring a place like Busan, Korea meant going to the internet cafe, getting a coffee, emailing friends and some computer time then rushing back.

Ya but......they love their jobs and nobody if forcing them to be there.

Their compensation is their business. :(

That's why I didn't publish what they make. Of course it's their business. As for Right, it's not slave labor or being Shanghaied but bet you wouldn't work for them and most of the good ones are moving on as soon as they get experience. I wouldn't do it but then again, I can't sing or act.:eek:

From people I know in the entertainment business, the description fits most people in that industry. The big difference is they have a pay check for six months. Lot of competition, most jobs pay little. So cruise ship work is not that bad. The wife of a friend of ours (ex cruise line CD), worked in the shows on cruise ships for 5 years. She is now working in Las Vegas. Pay is less, but at home.

Edited by RDC1

Show business on land is no picnic either. The cruise industry provides jobs for thousands of entertainers (dancer, musicians, etc.) they otherwise wouldn't have. If a young person decides he wants to be a professional dancer, he takes the work where he can find it, and I suspect most professional dancers are happy there are cruise ship jobs available to them.

I have seen the entertainers on shore many times, and not always before 11 a.m. Perhaps the circumstances of the people you talked to were specific to them and not every entertainer on every ship.

I assume you are referring to the entertainers that are contracted to live on the ship, not the guest entertainers that come aboard for a few days and then go to another ship. I expect the latter are better compensated.

As far as having to be back on the ship early on a port day, that is certainly not always the case on Princess. Most Princess excursions have a Princess rep on the tour for quality assurance. In many cases, the Princess rep is one of the entertainment staff.

I agree about the production shows. Things have gotten worse there. For me, though, that's not the most important part of a cruise.

I agree! On our last 29 day sailing, I would guess DH and I went to maybe 4 shows in the Princess Theater. We attended a few in Explorers Lounge as well. I don't really find that Princess does a good job with the shows, but we like the cooking demo, the crew shows and we enjoy the local Hawaiian and Pacific Island dancing shows.

Hey fellow cruisers, I hoped you could help me out here.

We have previously cruised on P&O, RCCL, Thomson & Princess.

Princess being our favourite by a mile.

We sailed on the Grand 3 times, last time being 3 years ago, twice before her refurb & once after.

Each cruise was just superb and could fault nothing.

A big thing was the entertainment throughout the day & evening was just second to none, just fantastic!

My kids are now teens (13 & 15) but have been cruising from a young age & this year we chose the Caribbean Princess as we loved the itinery for our dates.

We have just returned from a 14nt Med sailing from Southampton on 18th July.

One huge difference I noticed was the lack of entertainment!

What's happened to the big production shows, with singing, dancing etc?

In my opinion it was sub standard for a cruise & probably the worst I've encountered in all my cruises.

The entertainment team tried but there was just nothing there.

Other than an odd quiz, all the other entertainment was audience participation, where the staff sat back, judged and let the passengers provide entertainment.

Yes is good to see every now and again but part of cruising IS the entertainment and what the team put on.

I felt that the ship was geared up to sell, sell, sell!!

Loads of retail, art auctions, bingo, etc etc.

Went to a couple of seminars on well being, health etc and after sitting through a 45 min long informative talks etc, then the hard sell comes along... $300 for tubs of vitamin tabs & excercise sheet!!

Loads of wee things missing... Eg no cookies & milk trolleys poolside, not saying this in particular ruined the holiday, as it didn't, but it was small things like this that just made previous holidays for the kids a bit special.

I felt there was something seriously lacking on the ship, not just one thing but loads of small things.

There was also a strong smell of sewage in various parts of the ship, at different times of the day etc. This was obviously not pleasant.

We also had lots of welding going on just along from our cabin on 4 different days. Strong smelling of grinding/burning metal.

The food was fantastic as is to be expected, staff fab too, give or take a couple of rude ones.

I am looking to book our cruise for next year and I'm in a quandary as to which way to go.

Have Princess standards slipped across the whole line?

Or was CB just not the best ship?

Is the Grand still as wonderful as she was 3 years ago?

What are your views on the Royal & Regal?

Any advice or your views would be most welcome.

:)

We loved our cruise Fall 2014 of Caribbean Princess. :):):):)

I've had jobs with paltry pay and long hours. You do it because you love it or because it's the only job available.

Has anyone here seen "Fiera" on Regal? It was awesome compared to the usual song and dance numbers. And sorry, but eleven years is OLD for a ship (our balcony was really rusty). Do you drive an eleven year old car?

Skywalkers was dead on my CB cruise. Although it did have a great view!

Vespa - Do the kids help pick the cruise? I can't imagine any teenager being interested in a production show or lounge act.

Yes I drive a 2000 Bently Continental convertible. It's in perfect condition inside and out, and runs like new. I keep it well maintained.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

RCCL is doing some shows like Mama Mia, Cats and Saturday Night Fever.
three shows I wouldn't mind missing. Just because it is a Broadway show doesn't mean it is great for everyone.

I enjoy most of the Princess shows because they have a variety.