Navigator Is Currently Stopped for Cuban Refugees

A boat of Cuban refugees were spotted on a boat off Starboard about an hour ago. Our ship is idling while the captain talks to the U.S. and Mexican authorities.

The rescue boat went out from Navigator and made contact, and is holding near by.

We were on Oasis last week and we also stopped for a few hours when we encountered a group of Cubans in a small craft. The captain said we offered assistance, they declined, and we waited with the small craft until the coast guard arrived.

I heard this is getting more common and law states if they see a vessel they must stop and offer assistance. We were in no danger and made our ports on time.

Cubans heading for Mexico?

I was wondering the same thing. Why would the captain be talking to Mexican authorities?

I would assume the Navigator is in the Yucatan Channel. Yes, it is very common for Cuban migrants to head west to Mexico. They do this because there is less patrol in that region. Their ultimate goal is to reach the US via the SW border. Under the wet foot/dry foot policy, they still get to stay if they set foot on US soil at the border.

We just returned from this cruise...

We were eating at Giovanni's Table when I looked outside and noticed we were making a very slow, sharp turn to starboard. We could see a very tiny speck off the starboard side and eventually the captain came on and told us that they had seen some people in a small raft waving at us about a mile away and that maritime law states that they have to offer assistance. This was just before dusk. By the time we left and had picked up the 11 people, it was full dark. I'm glad that we saw them when we did or else we'd have sailed right past them.

He was talking with the Mexican authorities because we picked them up from the ocean on our way to Cozumel. That is country that had to take custody of them when they got off of our ship.

Hope that cleared things up.

We arrived into Cozumel just one hour late, but stayed an hour later to compensate. The little raft they were in was so tiny!

Also just back with a little bit more info we got from the captains talk. 11 persons aged 20 to 45. They had been at sea since July 25 th. he said they they were checked out by medical, given food, water and a place to sleep. They were turned over to the Mexican authority the next am in Cozumel. Not sure how much longer they could have survived, that is a long time and doubt they had that much food or water left. It was dark so we could not see them get on to the ship. It took about two hours to stop and get them. The raft was set adrift with a big yellow x on it so all would know it was empty. Sad that they are so desperate to leave their country to risk their lives at sea in a tiny raft.

They had been at sea since July 25th.

Not sure how much longer they could have survived, that is a long time and doubt they had that much food or water left.

Migrants tend to grossly exaggerated their time at sea. I don't doubt they were at sea for a few days, but 16 days is highly unlikely.

I would assume the Navigator is in the Yucatan Channel. Yes, it is very common for Cuban migrants to head west to Mexico. They do this because there is less patrol in that region. Their ultimate goal is to reach the US via the SW border. Under the wet foot/dry foot policy, they still get to stay if they set foot on US soil at the border.

I am wondering if a US coast guard boat is considered US "soil", like a US airline would be or was?