Red Ginger on Sirena

Paulchili

The last several time in Polo a chain restaurant would have been better.

On our last cruise of 25 days on Nautica I stopped ordering steak in Polo as it was so awful. My husband ordered one the last night and I laughed at him. The laugh was on me because it was excellent. However, we endured several that were virtually inedible before that one that was delicious and perfectly cooked.

That will not deter me from sailing on Oceania again and, in fact, we are happily anticipating 25 days on Marina this fall. ;-)

Mo

I've typically liked the Polo Grill, but have learned not to order the steaks. The other food seem so much better. I like fresh beef better much more than the frozen and thawed, which I'm sure the ships are logistically stuck with. They also seem to struggle with medium rare coming out medium to medium well. I've learned to order rare, or medium rare rare to get traditional medium rare. Don't know if the chefs are overcooking or to much time under the heat lamps. In the MDR we have struggled with overcooked fish on several occasions, and believe the issue is the latter. I can't see a real chef overcooking fish so horribly, but sitting 5 minutes or so under the heat lamps can send them over the edge.

The issue with Red Ginger is (IMO), while the food tastes good, most of the dishes are quite westernized and not authentic.

Red ginger is " new wave/ fusion based" on western tastes, almost every dish was trying to be cute... I even tried some of the kitchens off menu experiments.... I wanted to like it and tried about everything... not one was good....even the miso-bass sucked.

The kitchen cooks to the demographics of its passengers.... Americans, Brits and Canadians....

I love the real deal and if your from NY city Vancouver BC, or SF/Burlingame CA than your going to disappointed Its like Tex-Mex, New Mexico Mex is nothing like real mexican food.

Exactly and the chefs cook what is ordered frequently. Oceania is a business. ;)

I'll gently point out that Oceania attracts a well-traveled group of clients and a sizable percentage of them have visited Asia, eating locally during pre- and post-cruise visits. (Oceania should know!) I'll also point out that if we consider restaurants in London, we're strongly reminded that England was once an Empire. The number of Indian, Chinese, Singaporean, etc. restaurants -- and the high/authentic level of the food in those London restaurants -- is awesome. So stereotypes are just that.

I really don't know what percentage of Oceania's cruisers want authentic Asian food. There are at least three of us who regularly post that we do when this topic comes up. So how hard would it be to include one (?) or two (?) or even three (?) authentic versions of the items listed on the menu?

I know that Oceania at least responded to what must have been widespread calls for hotter spice options because they had Sambal Oelek on board Nautica this summer. Nothing on board Marina, even in Red Ginger, a couple of years ago.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

On our Riviera cruise, the executive chef told us at one of the cooking demonstrations in the theater which dishes were the most popular and ordered most frequently. He broke it down in numbers. It turned out that my least favorite dish was the most popular.

I am all for more spices! Bring it on! :D

• 1 month later...
We just finished a Baltic cruise on the Marina.

Spoke with the GM about Sirena and we were told that after the refurbishment she would have a Red Ginger restaurant in the Polo space and the Toscana would feature menu items from Polo and Toscana.

It sounds good but my favorite restaurant (Jacques) seems to have gotten the short end of the deal :(

Oh wow. Hope this is true. I LOVE Red Ginger...

It is true...you dont have to hope..

Jancruz1

I'm confused.

The Sirena 2016 Inaugural Season brochure says otherwise.

open%20seating_zpsevqxapdr.png

Also see the current(?) Sirena Cusine page.

Is Oceania promulgating bogus information in their brochure and on their web site?

I'm sure that this is more oversight than deliberate deception.

Judging from passenger reaction on the larger ships, Red Ginger is sure to be a bigger draw than Tuscana ever was.

Hopefully, Mike Moore will see this and get the Website corrected, and although there is nothing that Oceania can do now about previously printed materials, you must look at the bright side.

As a collector of Maritime Ephemera, I can tell you categorically that if there is another, hopefully revamped, printing of the presently "sold out" Sirena Innaugural Brochures, your older, somewhat erroneous copy will skyrocket in value. :D

Put it in the bottom of a drawer, and who knows?, someday it may put your grand-kids through College!

Edited by StanandJim
punctuation correction, additional content

That's good to know. All the other R's were recently upgraded, so I imagine that it will be some time before Red Ginger is added to the other R's, correct?

While Red Ginger may not be authentic, as an Asian fusion it does a good job.

I is a supposed fusion but everything is spiced whether Thai or Indonesian as a Mandarin blahs dish cause that's what most think when you say "Asian"

I think it is popular because many many places in north America have almost Chinese except for the ever present all you can eat Chinese buffets. Compared to them Red Ginger is a jewel. People judging with different yardsticks. The tea service is"cute" but beyond that its not much better just cunning place settings and realy cool ambiance.. But not anything on the menu and I was on the ship for over a month!!! Cornstarch and chicken stock sauces

The SeaBass in Miso, was a super fishy-mushy non descript and one of the dishes. I even tried some of the kitchens experiments that they were trying to play with. I tried it 2 times... didn't get better.

To be honest , everything tasted pretty much the same except the texture and color changed. The raved Sweet Chili wows people....pich it up at the Safeway "May Ploy Sauce" $1.39 a bottle.

Jacques I is a bistro based, time tested well executed collection of variety from Normandy to Province. I know French from all the regions...even trained on a professional level in the cuisine It is exceptional in it's consistency and flavor Excellent fish.

The Main Dining room was half way between Polo and Jaques as they served a whole broad range of cuisine....not just French.. Great Variety

Polo, this last time was turning out on Regatta a combo of a steak and chop house with French overtones... some of the presentations were a crime to disturb. Everything done to perfection from cookng to wait staff.

Now..Toscana has changed some menu items from the past and things like Trio Toscana went from stunning to just old pasta. Yes the bread looks cool... and the olive oil deal is pretty useless but it looks classy; Pretty much all tomato-starch- garlic-cream-melted cheese The veal chop and FraDivalo were the only thing that were appealing. Everything was heavy-starch-fat and nothing really northern Italian . I know many rave about Italian because many places in the US Midwest don't have anything Italian except Pizza... hence it gets good reviews Great service, classy, but pretty much calorie rich flavor minimal bulk foods. To me its banquet/buffet fare plop it and slop some sort of sauce.

Sorry it and Red Ginger are just something different so you wont get bored. I really really enjoy kitchens that know who they are..are confident with their approach and try to give everyone that we care here feeling ,about the food and how it should always be......

Let's face it, Dan, they're not selling to self styled Hawaiian Gourmets, their base audience is Mr. & Mrs. Middle America.

98% of that population would HATE the type of Asian Fusion Restaurant which you are proposing.

As JFK once said to Judy Garland upon hearing of the less than stellar ratings of her 1963-64 Television Series,

250px-Jgstitle.jpg

"Great Art has NEVER been popular with the masses".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtoXLrlclnM

She tells more of a story in three minutes than these current girls do in an hour.

Let's face it, Dan, they're not selling to self styled Hawaiian Gourmets, their base audience is Mr. & Mrs. Middle America.

98% of that population would HATE the type of Asian Fusion Restaurant which you are proposing.

As JFK once said to Judy Garland upon hearing of the less than stellar ratings of her 1963-64 Television Series,

250px-Jgstitle.jpg

"Great Art has NEVER been popular with the masses".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtoXLrlclnM

She tells more of a story in three minutes than these current girls do in an hour.

I dontconsider myself really a gourmand... and Hawaii was nothing to write home about Roys got people excited when he introduced May Ploy sauce to the soy and sweet and sour multitude.

I make no bones, French andFrench influenced cuisine is what I appreciate. Thai/Vietnamese/ so Asia was for many years a French colony... that elevated it above mandarin to the north in China.

When I traveled around the country on Business I used to marvel that the Chinese/Aisian food you got in say Boston or Albany did not remotely resemble stuff in California, Your right in that O cooks for what people from the mid-west think it should be made to please the market and that's good business.

So.... you cook what they want and tell them its some cool cuisine...fusion or the sort is popular because how can you criticize some mystery words....you might even look stupid and un-cool . ( Oh, I agree they chime in, fusion is wonderful....and didn't the emperors new clothing lookl Lovely the other day)

The foods in those regions all get adapted pretty much to what the market wants. The great Jean Sheppard, wrote of his mid-west father that " people only really like meat and potatoes and they only eat other things to impress each other" And not top pick on any group, culture, ( with the exception of LA-NY-No Cal,SF) that's the way you make money giving the customer the reality they believein.............. not you.

... their base audience is Mr. & Mrs. Middle America.

I wonder how Oceania reconciles its conflicting target demographic. If you believe the marketing language in the brochures, when it comes to itineraries, the audience is a well traveled, discerning group who looks for innovative itineraries and ground-breaking ports of call. When it comes to the food on the plate, the base audience is bland, unadventurous Mr. and Mrs. Middle America. Some of this apparent conflict may be the outgrowth of cruising. Cruisers generally do not eat meals on land, even on overnight port calls. That could allow Mr. and Mrs. Middle America the opportunity to see exotic places while never challenging their taste buds.

...98% of that population would HATE the type of Asian Fusion Restaurant which you are proposing.

Let's accept your statistics and see if there isn't a way to meet the needs of the 2%. The Red Ginger Menu offers 28 dishes on its regular menu.

... eight appetizers

... two soups

... five salads

... four main courses -- seafood

... two main courses -- vegetarian

... six main courses -- meat

... six side dishes

Hawaiian Dan earlier mentioned that his least favorite dish at Red Ginger is the most popular dish generally. I propose the Red Ginger chefs identify the two least favorite over-all dishes and execute them as truly authentic versions. If Mr and Mrs. Middle America are already rejecting those dishes, why not take advantage of that fact to appeal to those of us who know and like authentic Asian cuisine? Why not prepare the already unpopular dishes as accurate versions of the native cuisine?

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

If Mr and Mrs. Middle America are already rejecting those dishes, why not take advantage of that fact to appeal to those of us who know and like authentic Asian cuisine? Why not prepare the already unpopular dishes as accurate versions of the native cuisine?

+1

Yet you could transpose that concept onto any product of any business across the board, and it would be a great idea.

The 2017 brochures are out and they tell about Red Ginger and the Tuscan Steak house on Sirena..also there will be some selections from Jacques for lunch in the main dining room..

Jancruz1

Just got my email.

Interesting, it appears that Sirena is replacing Marina in South Pacific.

Some people's choice in food options are subjective at best ;)

Will be nice to see how they combine Polo & Toscana menus there are some dishes we like in both restaurants here's hoping they are still on the new menu for Tuscan Steak

I wonder how Oceania reconciles its conflicting target demographic. If you believe the marketing language in the brochures, when it comes to itineraries, the audience is a well traveled, discerning group who looks for innovative itineraries and ground-breaking ports of call. When it comes to the food on the plate, the base audience is bland, unadventurous Mr. and Mrs. Middle America. Some of this apparent conflict may be the outgrowth of cruising. Cruisers generally do not eat meals on land, even on overnight port calls. That could allow Mr. and Mrs. Middle America the opportunity to see exotic places while never challenging their taste buds.

Let's accept your statistics and see if there isn't a way to meet the needs of the 2%. The Red Ginger Menu offers 28 dishes on its regular menu.

... eight appetizers

... two soups

... five salads

... four main courses -- seafood

... two main courses -- vegetarian

... six main courses -- meat

... six side dishes

Hawaiian Dan earlier mentioned that his least favorite dish at Red Ginger is the most popular dish generally. I propose the Red Ginger chefs identify the two least favorite over-all dishes and execute them as truly authentic versions. If Mr and Mrs. Middle America are already rejecting those dishes, why not take advantage of that fact to appeal to those of us who know and like authentic Asian cuisine? Why not prepare the already unpopular dishes as accurate versions of the native cuisine?

"If you believe the marketing language in the brochures, when it comes to itineraries, the audience is a well traveled, discerning group who looks for innovative itineraries and ground-breaking ports of call."

Gee, are you saying us Kettles here in the Midwest aren't those things?

Believe it or not many people from the midwest have traveled a bit and actually have been to a couple of good restaurants and just might have discerning palates.

I never fail to be amused by the idea that some big city folks have that they have a lock on taste, class, gastronomic and life experiences. :D<------Me Amused.

Then on the other hand those that have met me know I'm a cross between Larry the Cable Guy & Jeff Foxworthy, except I'm not funny. So you may have a point.