Thank You Notes to Crew Question

serendipity1499

We always try to chase down our Cabin Stewards on the last night, rather than leave it on the bed.. If we find one we'll ask where the other one is so we can give him his own envelope.. They both know where the other one is..

Thanks for your thoughts. Not convienent to do so, however. There have been times when I could not find either of them.

Even by combing gratuities and a note for both of them, sometimes on the next morning, I will see the other Cabin Steward and receive a few words of gratitude from him. So, the other person is aware of what I have done.

I bring pre-packaged Thank You note cards & envelopes from home, and write a note specifying something the steward has done that was especially appreciated.

I add that I hope they will accept "this little extra" as a token of that appreciation, and add the extra tip money.

I can't be going around looking for my cabin stewards, so leave their envelope on the desk. It's always gone when I get back, so I know they got it.

The table stewards, and lounge stewards, I see personally, of course, since they are right there.

I enjoy making cards, invitations etc. on my "Print Artist" program & just finished making up a generic "Thank you" note for our Nov. Cruise.. I always hand address the written Thank You's to our Steward's by name & put the extra tip inside the note..

DH thinks that I'm wasting my time, should just slip the tip into the envelope & forget the note.. :eek: I use the red Chinese envelopes for our tip..

We always verbally Thank the Stewards when giving them the envelopes as well..:)

Do most of you enclose a note, or am I just showing off my old fashioned ideas which Mother taught me? :confused:

Please everyone, This question is not meant to be a discussion about extra tips, only about those notes enclosed!;)

Next will tackle the Invite to our Annual Boat Parade party which will be about two weeks after we return from our cruise..

I just use an envelope and write Thank You, [steward's name] on the front of the envelope.

I'm a note writer, and like to use my photos to enhance them. Here's the ones I use most often:

What gorgeous photos. Did you enlarge, frame and hang them in your home? They're fabulous.

We always leave a little bit extra for those who have made the trip enjoyable for us. Money is their favorite gift but their eyes really light up when you tell them you'll mention them in the survey. Yes, the survey takes a while to fill out but I figure it is the least I can do to help someone with their next contract after they have gone the extra mile for me! It doesn't take that long to mention acts of kindness towards those who have been good to us! Rarely can a few minutes result in so much benefit for others. It costs absolutely nothing but means so much.

I'm a note writer, and like to use my photos to enhance them. Here's the ones I use most often:

Yes, they are framed- the palm tree scene was taken while in Holetown, Barbados; the mountain range and lake was taken from the Princess rail car, somewhere in Alaska, 2006.

Liz

Beautiful photo's...You should enter them in a photo contest! Love the fact that you use your photo's for your thank you's..

Thank you all for your replies.. Ruth I like your simple sentence & hope you won't mind if I steal it?

To those who mentioned the survey & the fact that a note to a Supervisor would go a long way.. We do that too, but my question was specific about how you present any extra to your Stewards... Is it with a note or without a note?..

Reason for my question was because some of my Friends believe just enclosing the little extra in an envelope without a note. is fine.. But I write notes for everything even reminders to myself.. LOL ;) Wondered if I was a bit old fashioned in my thinking..;)

Before the end of the cruise I ask for Gratuity Envelopes at the front desk (makes them happy.) I write my thanks on the front then put the cash inside. The evening before disembarkation I find the cabin stewards and personally thank them with a "little extra", same for dining/wine stewards.

I mention their names on the survey and them I always write a letter to Guest Relations in Seattle and mention them again. I hope my good will comes back to them, as they are all fantastic!:)

Karen

Thank you all for your replies.. Ruth I like your simple sentence & hope you won't mind if I steal it?

Feel free! I stole it myself from a similar thread here years ago.

I know a good line when I see it. ;)

I bring pre-packaged Thank You note cards & envelopes from home, and write a note specifying something the steward has done that was especially appreciated.

I add that I hope they will accept "this little extra" as a token of that appreciation, and add the extra tip money.

We always do the same, I try to find cards featuring a local scene to use.

This thread reminded me to replenish my supply of cards for the next cruise.

Before the end of the cruise I ask for Gratuity Envelopes at the front desk (makes them happy.) I write my thanks on the front then put the cash inside. The evening before disembarkation I find the cabin stewards and personally thank them with a "little extra", same for dining/wine stewards.

I mention their names on the survey and them I always write a letter to Guest Relations in Seattle and mention them again. I hope my good will comes back to them, as they are all fantastic!:)

Karen

Not much more you can do to say thanks.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

The most meaningful THANK YOU note you can do is about two days before the end of your cruise, write the note and address the envelope to the GUEST RELATIONS OFFICER and turn it in to the front desk. Inside write the note to your steward. be sure to include your name and cabin number. The steward will receive it that day as well as his "bosses". and believe me he gets extra goodie points for it.

I have always brought thank you notes to fill out and hand to those who earned them. I usually put a small tip and a nice note inside.

I send "let us know" cards to the front desk detailing what someone has done to earn praise. Then finally it is noted on the final form who did what for whom. LOL This triple effort seems to have the best effect for getting the attention of the supervisors.

... or am I just showing off my old fashioned ideas which Mother taught me? :confused:

Yes, you are showing off the (regrettably) "old fashioned" ideas your mother taught you. She and Miss Manners both would be very proud to know that you have not abandoned good manners in favour of being more "modern".

PLEASE DO continue to practise and model that, and other allegedly outdated forms of proper etiquette!

I leave the envelope in the room as I find it embarrassing to give it to them and putting them on the spot to show appreciation.

I've found that countering their appreciation with my own heartfelt gratitude, thanks for making my [stay/trip/meal/etc] so wonderful, coupled with a big smile trumps any amount of embarrassment anyone may feel. Even if it's uncomfortable for you at first, I bet you'll discover that making someone's day - especially someone in a line of work that is often treated "like the hired help" [AKA, badly!] by entitled people, who fail to realise that they'd have to do it all themselves, if not for the "hired help" - also makes your day! I know it does mine! :D

I hope I've tempted you to give it a shot. ;)

Thanks to everyone who gave additional hints for how to make the most positive impact for the crew who work so hard to allow regular people to live like the elite for a few days/weeks.

Question: Are the red envelopes you speak of the traditional ones you can buy, or something available on board? I was figuring on just bringing regular thank you note cards and personalising them, but if there is something else to make it a little more special available, I'd love to know about it.

I have always used an envelope with the crew member's name and a short note on the front of the envelope. After reading this thread, I think I will add thank you notes to my standing list of things to pack.

With regard to rewarding someone who would normally be overlooked as Khaos suggested, there are two crew members who stand out in my memory.

One was on the Prinsendam. He stood outside the Lido and made sure everyone got a squirt of Purell before they entered. He also made each person feel special as they arrived, shared a little laugh with them and generally made you look forward to getting that little squirt of hand sanitizer. In short, he took a boring job and made it fun. We gave him a nice thank you tip at the end of the voyage.

The second was the yum yum man on the Westerdam last April. His name was Roni and everyone looked forward to their encounters with him. He was so much fun and obviously loved his job and interacting with people. I know we were not the only ones to give him an extra tip.

With those two in mind I have added to my list of people who get an extra tip to include one person on each cruise who normally wouldn't be tipped but who went out of their way to make our trip memorable.

With those two in mind I have added to my list of people who get an extra tip to include one person on each cruise who normally wouldn't be tipped but who went out of their way to make our trip memorable.

What a wonderful idea! I'll do that too - that's a promise! And I'll spread the idea around as well. Just imagine what could happen if every one of us, and even 10% of others we tell about this were to give a tip and extra thanks to just one "invisible" crew member or employee when on vacation, travelling, or dining out.

I always try to specifically compliment the cook in person when something is great, hand the tip directly to my server, with my thanks, and mention to management when the service is good, thanking housekeeping staff at the hotel every time they come, as well as tipping them, etc, but your idea takes all that another step further.

It could be the beginning of a beautiful revolution! Who else wants to make the commitment to this lovely idea?

I am "old fashioned" too - I have envelopes, write a thank you note (and put some money in) and try to take some pralines or typical well known sweets with me - I like these boxes (print means "thank you" and each praline looks like a flower).

1827.png

I giftwrap the boxes. It is praline-chocolate - no alcohol, no nuts - sealed. Most stewards like sweets - especially Milka-chocolate - and if not, they can exchange them with their collegues.

The boxes are not to heavy (4 ounces), so I take 3 or 4 with me.

Yes, you are showing off the (regrettably) "old fashioned" ideas your mother taught you. She and Miss Manners both would be very proud to know that you have not abandoned good manners in favour of being more "modern".

PLEASE DO continue to practise and model that, and other allegedly outdated forms of proper etiquette!

<SNIP>

Question: Are the red envelopes you speak of the traditional ones you can buy, or something available on board? I was figuring on just bringing regular thank you note cards and personalising them, but if there is something else to make it a little more special available, I'd love to know about it.

[/color]

I get the Chinese Red Envelopes with the Chinese design on them from "Zazzle" They are so pretty & the crew seem to like them.. Not my idea, I stole it from "Boytjie" another poster.. There was another thread about these envelopes several months ago where lots of people had wonderful ideas..

See post 49 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2206763&highlight=red+envelopes&page=3

I am "old fashioned" too - I have envelopes, write a thank you note (and put some money in) and try to take some pralines or typical well known sweets with me - I like these boxes (print means "thank you" and each praline looks like a flower).

1827.png

I giftwrap the boxes. It is praline-chocolate - no alcohol, no nuts - sealed. Most stewards like sweets - especially Milka-chocolate - and if not, they can exchange them with their collegues.

The boxes are not to heavy (4 ounces), so I take 3 or 4 with me.

What a nice idea Wendy..:) Do you refrigerate the boxes when you are on the ship, or do they stay well while traveling.. Thank you for your suggestion.

P.S. The Chinese Red Envelopes I just purchased from Zazzle were the "Year of the Ram" They cost a bit more than normal but I loved them.. I purchased 20 of them for $24 including shipping.. They have lots of other Chinese envelopes..It took almost two months to get them..

http://www.zazzle.com/chinese_year_of_the_ram_goat_red_envelopes-121058635007389716

Edited by serendipity1499

I always bring along little nautical themed cards and write a personal note to accompany our financial gift to those who deserve it. I also use the same little cards to send a message of gratitude to people like the front desk staff for all their hard (and often unnoticed) work. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's what I was taught and I believe it is appreciated.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I ordered some on Amazon.ca for about the same price per card. Just over $12 for 10. Mine were not Chinese design, though they did have those. There was also a box of 50 (for the prolific cruisers) which were not year specific but had a lovely blessing on them. The meaning of the characters is confirmed by consumer reviews, so no worries for those of us who are linguistically challenged.

The red envelopes usually refer to the Chinese tradition of red packets, a well-observed custom which is thought to bring happiness and blessing to the receivers. You can search the internet and find lots more information about this tradition and its significance in the Chinese culture.

Personally, I would not use red envelopes for fear that I may unintentionally offend the receiver. HAL has predominately an Indonesian crew and the giving and receiving of red packets is a Chinese tradition. It is my understanding that the Indonesian culture has a somewhat similar practice but use green envelopes. I would hate to think that by presenting an Indonesian crew member with a Chinese symbol that I showing my ignorance of their culture and may be unknowingly insulting them.

I also write a note and slip cash into it, and leave it on the bed when I go to dinner. (One envelope for each steward- so that should be plural).

One my Antarctica trip I wrote thank you notes on black & white origami paper and folded them into penguins. Each penguin had the extra cash tip stuffed in his tummy.