Britannia Grab and Go

Vickitoria10

Do you know what time this gets stocked up? Is it possible to go after breakfast on a port day and pick a sandwich up for lunch?

Thanks

Hello,

I've just looked at my photos & according to the notice it says breakfast is between 8am - noon & lunch from noon - 4pm so I would say the answer is probably no.

Joan

It is stocked before breakfast and does then have breakfast time items, as well as the normal sandwiches and deserts.

However we found the sandwiches a bit dull, and certainly nowhere near as well filled as you get in M&S or even the cheapest sandwich shop, and there is only a limited choice. It is best used for a quick bite if you get back on board between meals so to speak, not really worth taking off ship which in some countries is verbotten anyway.

Do you know what time this gets stocked up? Is it possible to go after breakfast on a port day and pick a sandwich up for lunch?

Thanks

Some of the answers to your question are misleading.

On Port Days the 'Grab & Go' does not open till Noon...

20081050104_62c2a427c6_z.jpg

16965619285_f796c598e9_z.jpg

Pretty sensible really, there are enough tightwads lifting food from the buffet breakfast for their shoreside fare.

It is sto:)cked before breakfast and does then have breakfast time items, as well as the normal sandwiches and deserts.

However we found the sandwiches a bit dull, and certainly nowhere near as well filled as you get in M&S or even the cheapest sandwich shop, and there is only a limited choice. It is best used for a quick bite if you get back on board between meals so to speak, not really worth taking off ship which in some countries is verbotten anyway.

There certainly was a good selection when I was on Britannia...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/03/30/britannia-the-maiden-cruise/

More Waitress than M&S I'd say: and definitely above Morrisons.:)

The idea of the "Grab n Go" is to take food to eat elsewhere on the ship or your stateroom and NOT to take off the ship at port days. Some countries dont allow you to take food off ships into their countries and certainly especially if in summer time be very edible if stuck in a warm bag for hours just to save a few pounds. I very much doubt the "Grab n Go" would be open on disembarkation day but not certain.

We thought the grab n go was a great idea. The breakfast selection has muffins like Mcmuffins and the lunch selection of sandwiches, salads and desserts was good. Especially liked the salad options which changed daily.

What we didnt like was when you saw things that had been taken from there, unopened and abandoned elsewhere. That was a waste.

Thanks everyone. As we have a 2yr old I wanted to take a sandwich with us for them to have when they wanted rather than having to find somewhere. I thought you would be able to do this with the grab and go area for port days because if you are on the ship lunch is included but it might not be convenient to get back to the ship. If it was me and DH I'd just get whatever on land but need to plan more with my son. Will take a bread loaf and potted meat on board and make him a sandwich every day instead!

Thanks everyone. As we have a 2yr old I wanted to take a sandwich with us for them to have when they wanted rather than having to find somewhere. I thought you would be able to do this with the grab and go area for port days because if you are on the ship lunch is included but it might not be convenient to get back to the ship. If it was me and DH I'd just get whatever on land but need to plan more with my son. Will take a bread loaf and potted meat on board and make him a sandwich every day instead!

You'll be able to make him something from the buffet and they also have fruit. Plenty of people do it. There are some countries that don't allow this but I doubt if you'll be visiting them.

Yeah we're going to France and Spain so won't be any problems there! I just feel really cheeky making it from the buffet!

Don't feel like that. People will come on here saying its penny pinching and even call it stealing. Just ignore them. Some people waste vast amounts of food. As kevinyork says, people dump unopened packs from the Grab n Go. If you are embarrassed doing it then order room service. Remember and take some sandwich bags.

Edited by dgs1956

Don't feel like that. People will come on here saying its penny pinching but just ignore them. Some people waste vast amounts of food. As kevinyork says, people dump unopened packs from the Grab n Go. If you are embarrassed doing it then order room service. Remember and take some sandwich bags.

Thanks! I just want a bit of something to take out for a hungry 2yr old! A cheese sandwich would suffice!

The Grab and Go station sounds like a very good idea for a quick breakfast or lunch. Perfect for me to grab when looking after my baby on Britannia next year.

Thanks for linking to your blog post Richard in Solent - you have written a very useful overview of the Britannia which I have booked for Norwegian Fjords cruise next year. I was overwhelmed by the number of bad reviews on CC of Britannia - but I don't think I need to worry having read about your experience and seen your fab pictures.

What we didnt like was when you saw things that had been taken from there, unopened and abandoned elsewhere. That was a waste.

Seriously? Other people amaze me at times.

Its bad enough unwanted food being wasted but stuff that people take, then just decide they don't want it, is especially galling.

Seen people pile food a foot high at buffetts before, eat 2 mouthfuls then just leave the rest. Moronic.

... there are enough tightwads lifting food from the buffet breakfast for their shoreside fare.

Touchy touchy! If I take food from the breakfast buffet but throw a £10 note into the sea, does that make it OK because I'm not saving money any more?

Easy to make a ham or cheese soft roll from the breakfast buffet and take it with a piece of fruit; I used to do that when my daughter was small, as I agree young children can get quite fractious ashore if they get hungry mid to late morning. It saved a lot of fussing.

Touchy touchy! If I take food from the breakfast buffet but throw a £10 note into the sea, does that make it OK because I'm not saving money any more?

To prove to your potential critics you are not a tightwad. Please film the throwing, by you, of a £10.00 note into the sea from the ship (while ship is moving) and then post on CC. ;)

Easy to make a ham or cheese soft roll from the breakfast buffet and take it with a piece of fruit; I used to do that when my daughter was small, as I agree young children can get quite fractious ashore if they get hungry mid to late morning. It saved a lot of fussing.

Thanks that's great!

For the amount we've had to pay for a 2yr old I don't think you could call it being tight to take a ham roll from breakfast! I think his fate will more than cover an extra ham roll a day!!

Has Azura got a Grab and Go? Does a lot of it go quick? That picture shows it quite small for 3000+ people.

Think it is new for Britannia. Whatever, it was replenished a lot as it seemed very popular. We actually thought the selection was quite good compared to the reviews we had read. Not M&S as someone has said, but we were more than happy. :)

We used it on 2 days - great when just chilling out on a sea day rather than having to go in to the buffet. I thought it was for people on the sip to have as a snack rather than to take it off on a tour etc. We could be wrong though.

We didn't see any food wasted but it was annoying to see some of the 'bits' of litter left flying around the ship on a windy day. Why don't people just keep it under a towel or something and then put it in a bin ------ or is that too simple??!!! Grrr

Anyway, that is not P&O's fault and we really enjoyed the food and would use it again.