Sharing wine in the MDR

PoppyandNana

We drink a fair amount of wine at dinner, sometimes an entire bottle. More than often our table mates did not, at least as much as we did.

We feel awkward in whether we should share our wine. Don't feel we should buy a round every night but........

What about when you get wine as a comp. Do share with the table?

One time another couple offered to share their wine. Are we now obligated to now share our wine as well?

We drink a fair amount of wine at dinner, sometimes an entire bottle. More than often our table mates did not, at least as much as we did.

We feel awkward in whether we should share our wine. Don't feel we should buy a round every night but........

One time another couple offered to share their wine. Are we now obligated to now share our wine as well?

Not unless you took them up on it.

If you purchase a bottle you should not worry about sharing or feel awkward about not sharing. Having tablemates on a cruise does not make it a communal table.

In this particular situation, YES I would share my wine the next night if this happened. Otherwise, I say everyone is on their own. We had tablemates who had a bottle every night and did not offer us any. We did not feel awkward at all - it was their wine, after all.

All in all, it's a personal decision. Do what makes you feel good. :)

If you are sharing a table with people you were put together with by the cruise line, you are still separate and have no requirement to share any wine you order. You may all agree to take turns purchasing wine, but you are under no obligation to share unless it is a reciprocal arrangement.

Several years ago we were a group two couples sharing a table with two other couples who were also together. They were very religious and non-drinkers. They had the audacity to ask us to not drink wine at the table. And then they had the nerve to ask us to be silent while they prayed before their meal.

On both accounts, we ignored them and went about our own business. If they wanted a prayer meeting/non-alcoholic table, they should have asked for a table by themselves. Which, by the way, is exactly what they did after the second night. :D

Edited by SantaFeFan

When we are sailing with friends we typically share bottles with them, and pay on a rotating basis. When we sail on our own we like to share a late seaating traditional dining table with others, and get wine (for me, DH doesn't drink), but have never shared a purchased bottle with others. There were a few occasions on cruises where we were given bottles as gifts, had them comped, or won them, in which cases we always brought them to the dining room and shared them with our table mates.

You have previously posted that it doesn't matter what you paid compared to somebody else they should all receive the same.

Bingo. The OP is notorious for starting threads that could become contentious based on widely varying opinions on what could be deemed as sensitive subjects.

To others reading who are genuinely interested in the topic subject, our belief is that you simply "get a feel" for the table of initial strangers you're sitting with. It won't take long to "size people up" and you can act accordingly when it comes to how to handled the subject of wine.

I remember our virgin Celebrity cruise where we were four couples (strangers) seated at a table for eight. We had a wonderful week dining with one another - everyone was social butterflies in their own right. But when it came to wine, we all had different tastes, so each couple did their own thing in that department, despite the fact you'd have thought we were all best of friends after just the first night. So although there was never any sharing of wine, it didn't hamper the social aspect of our dinners together at all.

On our second Celebrity cruise, we were at a table of ten with every walk of life represented from an eccentric single woman accustomed to only sailing the luxury lines (Seabourn, etc) to a loud married couple who bickered the entire week in front of everyone. Sharing all the wine in the world wouldn't have helped that table at all. :eek:

So if you're dining at large tables with people you've never met, there is no one size fits all with regard to wine based on who the players are and what you're dealing with from a social standpoint! ;)

Edited by BEAV

Please do not ever "feel awkward" in a dining situation... others at your table are there to enjoy THEIR holiday. Your question is one of etiquette, and is much appreciated, but rest assured that you may enjoy your wine as a couple, with no thought or need to share, unless your table mates show an interest to reciprocate. Also, with the current drink packages onboard, many at your table may be ordering their drinks or wine by the glass.

Enjoy your bottle!! :)

Bingo. The OP is notorious for starting threads that could become contentious based on widely varying opinions on what could be deemed as sensitive subjects.

To others reading who are genuinely interested in the topic subject, our belief is that you simply "get a feel" for the table of initial strangers you're sitting with. It won't take long to "size people up" and you can act accordingly when it comes to how to handle the subject of wine.

I remember our virgin Celebrity cruise where we were four couples (strangers) seated at a table for eight. We had a wonderful week dining with one another - everyone was social butterflies in their own right. But when it came to wine, we all had different tastes, so each couple did their own thing in that department, despite the fact you'd have thought we were all best of friends after just the first night. So although there was never any sharing of wine, it didn't hamper the social aspect of our dinners together at all.

On our second Celebrity cruise, we were at a table of ten with every walk of life represented from an eccentric single woman accustomed to only sailing the luxury lines (Seabourn, etc) to a loud married couple who bickered the entire week in front of everyone. Sharing all the wine in the world wouldn't have helped that table at all. :eek:

So if you're dining at large tables with people you've never met, there is no one size fits all with regard to wine based on who the players are and what you're dealing with from a social standpoint! ;)

I agree. You have to judge it by the situation. We've only shared wine on one of seven cruises we've taken. On that cruise (Carnival Miracle 2008) we were sitting with a wonderful, witty couple from Chicago. On the first night they received a gift bottle from their sons, which they offered to share with us. (I should say "me" since DW doesn't drink - certainly not wine - maybe a sip from a frozen cocktail in the skylounge.)

On the second night our new friends were about to order a bottle and the husband looked at me with a "what do we do look". I suggested we take turns and we did that every night except the one following the captain's party where he, his wife, and I had quite a few cocktails. It would have been my turn to buy, and I really didn't want to, given that I had had enough. Fortunately, they felt the same way.

The really fun part was that we had both taken a "surprise me" approach in selecting the wines. We would simply tell our wine waiter our selection by pointing at it on the menu. I liked his choices. I think they liked mine. Fortunately all three of us were partial to reds.

Our most memorable evening was the one when the wine, food, and conversation were so good that we didn't notice we were literally the last passengers left in the MDR (late seating). All of a sudden we hear crew duty announcements on the P.A. system. OOOOPPPPSSS! We immediately got up and left. The maitre'd and senior staff were remarkably gracious as we sheepishly apologized and thanked them for time. I hope the MDR crew saw our delayed exit, annoying though it may have been, at least as a sign of how much passengers enjoy and appreciate their efforts.

Seven years later we still keep in touch with the other couple. There was another cruise where we met two other couples who were just as witty and wonderful (we've since visited with one couple twice in FLL) but as joyous as it was, no one felt the need to share wine. There was just as much fun at that table.

Simply put - play it by ear. It's perfectly acceptable to buy and drink your own bottle. However, if they share, so should you.

Several years ago we were a group two couples sharing a table with two other couples who were also together. They were very religious and non-drinkers. They had the audacity to ask us to not drink wine at the table. And then they had the nerve to ask us to be silent while they prayed before their meal.

On both accounts, we ignored them and went about our own business. If they wanted a prayer meeting/non-alcoholic table, they should have asked for a table by themselves. Which, by the way, is exactly what they did after the second night. :D

Talk about nerve. I agree they should've asked for their own table - glad they did. I don't like cigarette smoke. Maybe I should sit in the already-limited smoking section and ask if they would mind not smoking in front of me.

News flash - most people on ships like to drink. (There's a reason Celeb has drink packages and so much of the forums space is about them.) No one requires you to drink, or would be offended if you don't. But if you insist on people at your table abstaining, find your own table.

Talk about nerve. I agree they should've asked for their own table - glad they did. I don't like cigarette smoke. Maybe I should sit in the already-limited smoking section and ask if they would mind not smoking in front of me.

News flash - most people on ships like to drink. (There's a reason Celeb has drink packages and so much of the forums space is about them.) No one requires you to drink, or would be offended if you don't. But if you insist on people at your table abstaining, find your own table.

Dont worry, some diners insist on people at other tables dressing to their standard on formal nights. So the no alcohol people are clearly consistent with many on this board.

Edited by Adidas4fun

Last year we shared a table with two other couples, none of us had the drinks package so we didn't bother ordering wine with our meal (my wife doesn't drink) and I drink moderately. One couple was elite (and on a b2b) so were getting their free drinks before dinner. They brought a bottle of champagne to share on the first formal night and we, together with the third couple, agreed to return the favour on the other two Formal Nights.

...They were very religious and non-drinkers. They had the audacity to ask us to not drink wine at the table. And then they had the nerve to ask us to be silent while they prayed before their meal...

So interesting. I, personally, think they were out of line about the wine at the table but I do respect people who pray before meals and would show some discretion and give them that time to give thanks. It was probably a 5-10 second prayer? Not a deal-breaker, in my book. :)

We always drink a bottle of wine with dinner and never felt that we had to share when we were at a table with others. The only time we purchased for the table was with a group of 10, all from Pittsburgh on a group tour, though no one knew each other before hand. The 1st night one couple bought a bottle of Asti to share pre dinner. This continued around the table every night of the cruise. We still bought our own dinner wine which we did not share.

all from Pittsburgh on a group tour, .

Mary Lou, next weekend, 27-30th, we are meeting the other 4 Amigo's from our Nov Equinox cruise in Pittsburg! Any 'Do not miss" wine places we should go to? Staying at the Hyatt by PNC on the river downtown.

EW

Years ago I was on a cruise with three friends in our mid 20s. This is when there were still Bon Voyage parties on board, and we had several bottles of wine gifted to us by family members.

For some reason, a very nice older couple in their 70s were assigned to our table. Every night we'd share one of our gifted bottles of wine with them. They enjoyed sitting with us and hearing our funny cruising experiences.

On the last formal night, we found beautiful corsages next to our dinner plates and thought they were a cruise tradition, since it was our first cruise. We were pleasantly surprised to learn they were from our older table mate as a thank you for sharing our wine and company with them. It was a memorable experience. We never felt obligated to share our wine, but couldn't imagine not offering it, especially since they were gifts. The payback was well worth it.

......but I do respect people who pray before meals and would show some discretion and give them that time to give thanks. It was probably a 5-10 second prayer? Not a deal-breaker, in my book. :)

Seriously? Anyone who imposes their own personal views on others are the ones being disrespectful. If it were me, I would do the exact same thing. Why should I stop my conversation with my companions because they feel the need to pray in silence? Wouldn't it be equally disrespectful if we had told them when we sat down that they weren't allowed to pray at this table?

Religious beliefs are a personal thing. They should never be forced upon anyone else for any reason. I can respect their need to say a prayer among themselves, but I should not be expected to stop what I am doing to accommodate it - even for a "5-10 second prayer".

In my country the First Amendment of the Constitution protects our freedom to practice religion. This also means we are protected when practicing freedom FROM religion. In your country, the Fundamental Freedoms section of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms provide the same protections.

Seriously!

Edited by PTMary

Just one of the many benefits of freedom dining is that everyone on the table will arrange their own drinks, and no one expects others to share with them. However when we used to do club dining with the same table companions every night there were occasions when sharing was proposed, and I always regretted it, especially on the next night when the "table leader" would enquire what we all wanted to drink that night.:o