Carrying on your own luggage

beachlvn

I guess it is ore likely to get to your cabin and arrive quickly (if you don't get lost). I don't feel that these "benefits" are worth the hassle

Agreed!

Not worth the hassle schlepping a heavy bag thru the ship. The crew has their own elevators.

Howard

Is there an advantage to carrying on your own luggage? We will have one large suitcase and one carry on size.

And when do they check for the amount of wine you bring on?

We have carried our bags on a few times. We find now for some reason our bags arrive later and later. Probably a new Elite perk. :rolleyes: Usually around 5-6pm. Makes even more of a reason for us to carry them on.

We have a couple of very large suitcases and have never had an issue with them fitting through the x-ray.

We have carried our bags on a few times. We find now for some reason our bags arrive later and later. Probably a new Elite perk. :rolleyes: Usually around 5-6pm. Makes even more of a reason for us to carry them on.

We have a couple of very large suitcases and have never had an issue with them fitting through the x-ray.

Absolutely the best laugh I have heard all day....... :D

Any luggage you carry on does need to fix thru the x-ray machines (about the size of those at airports for carry ons ).

Have you actually experienced them reject your luggage because it didn't fit the machine?

You will be competing for space in the elevators with all of the passengers who are unable to do the stairs on embarkation. Maybe arriving with the last passengers will make it easier for you if you can't get the suitcase up the stairs on your own.

Just be prepared to carry your luggage up ramps and possibly steps.

If you can do this without slowing down passengers behind you, it would be OK to take yours on board.

If it would slow down others from boarding, then leave it with the porters.

The only time we have done it was during short voyages of 5 days when it was possible to get everything squared away in the cabin way before muster and since we usually drive to the port, we are able to do a very early walk off at disembarkation and get on the road early.

Have you actually experienced them reject your luggage because it didn't fit the machine?

I've had the shoreside personnel try to dissuade me from rolling on my own Pullman-sized bag. They'll even claim that it won't fit through the machines -wrong, it'll fit.

I've had varying degrees of success in getting my own bag on. Sometimes the harder I push, the more they push back and other times they'll acquiesce.

I am a fit, AARP member, and able to lift my own bag onto the belt for the machine. I suspect the key phrase here is lift - one can just imagine the issues that could arise if every not-so-able AARP member got to the belt with a couple of large bags and then looked around for help.

Oh, and I like to roll my own bag on so that I can unpack as soon as possible and be done with it. I developed that scheme after my bags not showing up at the cabin until just shortly before dinner.

I've had the shoreside personnel try to dissuade me from rolling on my own Pullman-sized bag. They'll even claim that it won't fit through the machines -wrong, it'll fit.

I've had varying degrees of success in getting my own bag on. Sometimes the harder I push, the more they push back and other times they'll acquiesce.

I am a fit, AARP member, and able to lift my own bag onto the belt for the machine. I suspect the key phrase here is lift - one can just imagine the issues that could arise if every not-so-able AARP member got to the belt with a couple of large bags and then looked around for help.

Oh, and I like to roll my own bag on so that I can unpack as soon as possible and be done with it. I developed that scheme after my bags not showing up at the cabin until just shortly before dinner.

Anti-aarp members can life as well. Those of us who are mature citizens have a great ability to lift our bags.

You don't have to go straight to your stateroom if you drop off luggage. You can go straight to roaming the ship, find the food, do the scavenger hunt.

that's what I said, except I substituted margaritas for the scavenger hunt ;)

When we boarded in San Pedro some years ago we were waiting next to a man who had about a 28" bag with him. He got that through the scanner. Turned out he was the piano player in Crooners on our cruise. After that cruise I decided as an experiment to try to carry my 25" bag on board in Vancouver. The scanner was large enough to fit my bag but they had the airport style bag sizing frames. It was too big for the sizing frame so they sent me back to check the bag with a porter even though the scanner opening was large enough. I tried the experiment again in San Pedro on a later cruise with no problem.