Blogging from the Pacific Princess in the South Pacific

PescadoAmarillo

In your blog post on 8 Sep, Day 2 at sea, you said "Also not offered this cruise: the wine package, where one can purchase 7 or 10 bottles of wine at a discount." and I'm wondering if that is something particular to the specific cruise you are on or is it a change they are making fleet wide? I do know that you normally cannot purchase the wine packages on 7 day or shorter cruises and does this leg of your trip fall into that category or again are the wine packages being done away with.

Hope that it is simply a matter of this leg of your trip falls into the 7 day or shorter cruise category as we are frequent purchasers of the wine packages - such a good value on longer cruises in our opinion.

Thanks for any info. As others have stated, love your blog.

It's been wonderful following your blog Jeannie and reading about all the fun activities you and G are doing. You're getting me excited for my Regal cruise that departs in 100 days. I would like to cruise to Hawaii for my next cruise. So glad your mom is doing well in her new retirement community.

Can't wait to see photos from Hawaii and the South Pacific. Have fun and happy sailing! Thanks for sending me an email.

Looking forward to reading more!

Linda

Love getting to read your blog every morning again!! You made me giggle with the reference to Max! I am with you 100% there. :D In fact, I am with you in a lot of the ways you and G cruise.

We considered doing several different cruises for our 50th anniversary until HAL nailed it down for us with their 48 day Tales of the South Pacific. We have a little more than a year to wait but at least we get to cruise with you now.

Cheers and thanks!!!

Denise

PS. Your blogs from the Emerald really helped with our 20 days on the Royal in April. Snorkeling in Bonaire was heaven on earth!!

Enjoying your blog, you certainly have a gift in your writing. Must take after your mom, reference her great prom. We'll be following your path starting next Saturday on the Golden for 28 days. Your blog has got us excited. Love today's sunset.....enjoy.

In your blog, you mentioned buying a bottle of wine during happy hour. Is the price for a bottle cheaper during happy hour?

We'll be on the Pacific Princess soon. Been on many Princess cruises but never on the Pacific. Looking forward to a smaller ship.

Thanks for your blog and tips

Ann

Wonderful news that you are back posting. You're a such a descriptive writer--so descriptive, that I feel like I'm there. It's hard to believe that the summer has flown by so fast, though. It seems like it was just yesterday when you departed the Caribbean Princess.

Greetings from misty/rainy Hilo! Thanks for the nice comments! About the soda package and the wine package...I really don't know why neither is being offered but didn't think it made sense that the soda package had been discontinued on all ships because it certainly would have been reported here!

The steakhouse was open on the first night on this cruise.

I am purchasing wine in the Pacific Lounge during Happy Hour (3-4pm daily and later at night, too, after my bedtime). It is only offered on wine sold by the glass. So I pay 5 times the per glass price, plus $5 more (the $1 for the second drink times 5). It does work out to be a bit cheaper. Then I take one bottle to the dining room and tip our junior waiter a bit because he's losing out on the sale. It's still cheaper than the dinin room price, but the drawback is that only a few wines are offered by the glass. So I buy Chardonnay that way but am a bit pickier about my merlot.

The Panorama Buffet is open most of the day from very early to late. I haven't talked too much about it because we only ate there for the first time yesterday. I'm a dining room kind of girl!

Just caught on to the fact that you're cruising again. Missed it, since it's not even fall here, so I didn't think you'd be doing your winter cruising yet.

The Pacific is a great ship - I"m going to be really sad when/if she does sell. We were just on her in Alaska this summer (my signature is two cruises behind). In fact, we're on the Ocean's second to last cruise (the Caribbean before the SA circumnavigation). Ramon and the rest of the cruise staff were great - I have a couple of the travel journals myself, even though I do my journaling through scrapbooking.

I haven't figured out how to subscribe to your blog, but I have it bookmarked - it'll be a fun read in the mornings before I head off to work.

Enjoy your winter at sea!

-Cathy

Ann, show times vary based on port schedule and other activities. I can't even give you a usual time, because it ranges fm 7:45pm to 8:45pm for early diners.

No book club that I'm aware of.

We missed Kauai today due to weather. Currently cruising down the southwest coast of Oahu with a scheduled 5pm arrival in Honolulu. What a great view!

Hi PA-

Thank you for your wonderful blog. It is probably the very thing that will get me to my next cruise in December.

I loved your entry about the Hale Koa. I have stayed there several times, and while the rooms are a bit dated, the hotel facilities are wonderful. I know just where you ate!

I am so grateful for your blog. Thanks for being "the glue" (or at least a portion of it).

TL

Hi everyone! We are leaving on Monday and I just published the first blog post of the "winter". If you are interested, it's at the blog address shown in my signature (below).

I was very excited to see your post show up on my feedly when we were on the Emerald (seemed very appropriate). Happy cruising, I will be following your adventures.

We missed Kauai today due to weather. Currently cruising down the southwest coast of Oahu with a scheduled 5pm arrival in Honolulu. What a great view!

So sorry you missed Kauai! It is our favorite island in Hawaii!

I noticed that you commented on "Having a new bottle of Riesling!" We always enjoyed a bottle of Chateau St. Michele Riesling with a meal. However, since Princess seems to have dropped that brand, I was wondering which Riesling you preferred? We have tried Hogue and it was not that great for us. :eek: ( I'm trying to be nice!) We keep hoping that PCL will go back to Chateau St. Michele.

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

Ann, show times vary based on port schedule and other activities. I can't even give you a usual time, because it ranges fm 7:45pm to 8:45pm for early diners.

No book club that I'm aware of.

Thanks for your answer. I solved the mystery of the book club. The author was on one of the Alaska cruises, apparently Princess did not update their email before distributing it. Hope you and G are continuing to have a wonderful (and Delicious) cruise.

Ann

I noticed that you commented on "Having a new bottle of Riesling!" We always enjoyed a bottle of Chateau St. Michele Riesling with a meal. However, since Princess seems to have dropped that brand, I was wondering which Riesling you preferred? We have tried Hogue and it was not that great for us. :eek: ( I'm trying to be nice!) We keep hoping that PCL will go back to Chateau St. Michele.

Just Mike

Sorry, JM, I had to wait until we returned to the dining room for dinner for the first time in three nights (Honolulu and Waikiki were a higher priority). It's Deinhard Reisling and it's very nice.

Just Mike

Sorry, JM, I had to wait until we returned to the dining room for dinner for the first time in three nights (Honolulu and Waikiki were a higher priority). It's Deinhard Reisling and it's very nice.

Looking forward to trying the Deinhard Reisling!! :D

Hi from an upcoming Pacific Princess sailor:

Can you please check with the maitre'd to see if the Pacific Princess will be offering Curtis Stone menu items in the MDR this coming October.

Norine & Gary