Blogging from the Pacific Princess in the South Pacific

PescadoAmarillo

Hi! I have so enjoyed your detailed blog this year and your many previous years' blogs. I hope your current vacation continues to be the best ever!

In your Oct. 17 post, you state that Princess is "abandoning the French Polynesian market." I am heartbroken as my DH and I were planning the Oct. 2017 28-day LA-Tahiti cruise even though it has not been listed yet. Can you elaborate on your information?

Thank you in advance.

And thank YOU!

I'm sure those round trip LA- Tahiti cruises will still take place, as well as transpacific cruises. What I meant (and didn't clearly state) is that there are no more purely French Polynesian cruises on the Princess schedule. The larger ships can call at Papeete, Bora Bora and Moorea, but not Raiatea, Huahine, Rangiroa and Nuku Hiva. The lagoons are simply not large enough to accommodate the ships and the islands do not have the tourist infrastructure either for over 2000 passengers.

So I believe you'll be all set and will see the 'Big 3' of French Polynesian islands. But the tour operators on the other islands will really feel the loss of Princess cruises.

And this is all just conjecture, but it is generally believed to be the truth.

HI Jeannie,

This is hulagirl and I am wondering if you can check the Princess Patter and and see if they are going to have zumba every morning? If they are I will bring my tennis shoes but if they are not going to have it, I will save the space in my luggage. Thank you so much!!! Chris

And thank YOU!

I'm sure those round trip LA- Tahiti cruises will still take place, as well as transpacific cruises. What I meant (and didn't clearly state) is that there are no more purely French Polynesian cruises on the Princess schedule. The larger ships can call at Papeete, Bora Bora and Moorea, but not Raiatea, Huahine, Rangiroa and Nuku Hiva. The lagoons are simply not large enough to accommodate the ships and the islands do not have the tourist infrastructure either for over 2000 passengers.

So I believe you'll be all set and will see the 'Big 3' of French Polynesian islands. But the tour operators on the other islands will really feel the loss of Princess cruises.

And this is all just conjecture, but it is generally believed to be the truth.

Thanks for clearing that up. I am relieved (temporarily). I have a little less than one year to wait until I see the 2017 itinerary, but in the meantime, I am enjoying your cruise and adventures along with you and G! Keep up the fun!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I've checked with new maitre d' Oscar and there are no immediate plans to bring the Curtis Stone offerings to the Pacific Princess. They are offering something new, small, half bottles of merlot and Chardonnay (a California wine...the vintner escapes me right now) for $7.99 a bottle and that price includes the tip. I like them both, and have been enjoying these every night. It's a great deal for waiters and passengers, too. Still no unlimited soda sticker, but those ordered through the Cruise Personalizer ahead of time are honored. Happy hour is 3-4pm sea days and 9-10pm every night.

Having a great time. Just sitting at the Marché right now trying to get photos uploaded to my blog but having limited luck. Still, the hubbub of activity and intermixed smells of fiish, flowers and freshly ground coffee are unmistakably Papeete. :-)

Hi. I've checked with new maitre d' Oscar and there are no immediate plans to bring the Curtis Stone offerings to the Pacific Princess. They are offering something new, small, half bottles of merlot and Chardonnay (a California wine...the vintner escapes me right now) for $7.99 a bottle and that price includes the tip. I like them both, and have been enjoying these every night. It's a great deal for waiters and passengers, too.

Are these the Robert Mondavi half bottles ? These were offered on Regal Princess on the New England sailing for $5 plus tip - only in the Horizon Court though. The waitress said it was for our voyage only.

Hi. I've checked with new maitre d' Oscar and there are no immediate plans to bring the Curtis Stone offerings to the Pacific Princess. They are offering something new, small, half bottles of merlot and Chardonnay (a California wine...the vintner escapes me right now) for $7.99 a bottle and that price includes the tip. I like them both, and have been enjoying these every night. It's a great deal for waiters and passengers, too.

Are these the Robert Mondavi half bottles ? These were offered on Regal Princess on the New England sailing for $5 plus tip - only in the Horizon Court though. The waitress said it was for our voyage only.

Yes and when I returned to the ship for lunch, the bar manager saw me and said they are already sold out. Damn.

As for the 50th- CD Sammi has mentioned Donny Most and the Love Boat cast but that's all I've heard so far. I'm sure it will be fun and very different. It might be shocking to see some of those folks in their 60s, 70s and 80s.

Yes and when I returned to the ship for lunch, the bar manager saw me and said they are already sold out. Damn.

As for the 50th- CD Sammi has mentioned Donny Most and the Love Boat cast but that's all I've heard so far. I'm sure it will be fun and very different. It might be shocking to see some of those folks in their 60s, 70s and 80s.

Thanks for posting the information. It's looks like the Love Book cast will be on our 50th Anniversary Cruise.

Interesting about selling the half bottles of wine. Perhaps they'll be on our cruise.

I understand that you are in a inside sideways cabin. What do you think about the sideway cabin? Any photos to share?

Thanks!

Tom:)

Thanks for posting the information. It's looks like the Love Book cast will be on our 50th Anniversary Cruise.

Interesting about selling the half bottles of wine. Perhaps they'll be on our cruise.

I understand that you are in a inside sideways cabin. What do you think about the sideway cabin? Any photos to share?

Thanks!

The bar manager said the half bottles will return on 12/3.

We are in a porthole cabin on Deck 3 and I have no pics of the inside cabins. Sorry!

DM cruiser- thanks very much!

We're on that cruise in a few weeks and it should be very interesting! :D Sammi is so much fun - I can just imagine her being a hoot on the Pacific.

Jeannie, I'm on the 50th Anniversary Cruise on the Pacific Princess on December 3rd. We're organizing a lunch on 12-6-2015 at 12 noon and are planning on 100 people. If you are able can you talk with the Maitre'd and see if he can take reservations for us now? If so give him the name of Tanya Mullock, cabin no 6059. Perhaps there is a way we could contact him prior to our cruise.

Thank you very much!

Tom😀

• 3 weeks later...
Jeannie, I'm on the 50th Anniversary Cruise on the Pacific Princess on December 3rd. We're organizing a lunch on 12-6-2015 at 12 noon and are planning on 100 people. If you are able can you talk with the Maitre'd and see if he can take reservations for us now? If so give him the name of Tanya Mullock, cabin no 6059. Perhaps there is a way we could contact him prior to our cruise.

Thank you very much!

Tom😀

Tom, I just now saw this. Have you been able to take care of it? Sorry for the delay in responding.

We're on that cruise in a few weeks and it should be very interesting! :D Sammi is so much fun - I can just imagine her being a hoot on the Pacific.

Sammi is the best! She's the perfect choice for the big 50th.

Edited by shredie

I've been loving your blog! Thanks so much for taking the time to do it. I'll be boarding the Pacific Princess on the day that you disembark, and have been reading with great interest your praise of the crew. I sincerely hope that most of them will still be aboard for my cruise. However, it seems like L.A. might be a good place/time to have a massive crew change. On the other hand, my cruise is their anniversary cruise, so you'd think Princess would want their "A" team on board. Do you have any information on this? TIA

Thank you so much for doing this blog. We have enjoyed your blog of the

past couple of years and look forward to where we (you) will be going next.

Your descriptions and insight has given us much information. Glad that you

WILL BE HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS.

SAFE TRAVELS.

Tom, I just now saw this. Have you been able to take care of it? Sorry for the delay in responding.

Yes...The organizer contacted the Princess Contact person and they contacted the ship. We have 124 people signed up so it will be interesting to see what they do with such a large group. Are you staying on for the 50th Anniversary Cruise?

Thanks for answering me and for your blog.

Thank you! No, we won't be on the next cruise. We are definitely going home!!

In terms of the crew, there will be the normal turnover in Los Angeles on December 3. Crew from certain countries (including waiters) will be leaving in Mexico; they are not allowed to disembark in the U.S. Honestly, I don't think anything special is being arranged in terms of crew for the 50th anniversary crew. It doesn't matter; you'll all be very pleased with the crew, right down to Accomodations crew in the public areas and security. We've been very spoiled.

Tom, I'm glad it worked out and that you were able to reach the right people. Again, sorry I missed your request. I wasn't checking this thread from Papeete to Hawaii. Enjoy your cruise; I know you will!