Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

This exact same thing happened to me in the 80's on a Costa cruise. Caught the ship in the Virgin Islands sailed overnight to San Juan...ships rudder breaks..after a day they cancelled the cruise...but they allowed us four more days in San Juan...all drinks were free...Great food and entertainment...We explored the island...kicked back in the sun and drinks onboard...They then chartered an Eastern Air Lines Flight (remember them?)...we were flown back home....all money refunded...and our next cruise was heavily discounted. We had a blast!

If I had known this was going to happen to the Liberty I would have booked it in a heartbeat. Full refund, 50% off next cruise, on board credits, days in San Juan...and a one day "inconvenience" in St. Thomas. These whiners should get a life!

What about airfare reimbursement, pauley?

There has been no indication that Carnival will refund airfare. However, if guests do not want to sail back to San Juan, Carnival will cover the airfare from St Thomas to their home destination. This was indicated on the form we were asked to fill out this evening.

This will be my one post that will have some emotion attached. Since the announcement was made, there are many upset guests. The line to Guest Relations is very long. We have additional guest services staff from the Glory onboard and a second guest relations desk has been set up on deck 5. I personally feel that Carnival has gone above and beyond considering the situation. The full refund and 50% off a future cruise, not forgetting the OBC already received, has been more than generous. We will definitely sail Carnival again.

I'm sorry about your cruise. I know it has to be a big disappointment, but I admire the way you are handling things. Thanks for the awesome reporting. I would be honored to cruise with you some day--you are a class act IMHO.

Safe travels to all.

Yes, we are staying until Sunday. Carnival is asking all guests to provide their original flight information. On the bottom of the form is the option to be flown from St Thomas to the guests home if they choose to not sail back to San Juan.

I guess some folks may feel nervous and opt to fly home from St. Thomas but we'd stay on to SJ, too! :)

Thank you again for all your updates! :)

Pauley, so sorry that your cruise was cut short, but you seem to be making the best of the bad situation. Glad to see that Carnival is doing so much to compensate for the unfortunate occurrence.

Thank you for keeping us posted and all the best to you.

Pauleydm, excellent job of keeping everyone informed. I have tried to read all the posts but I am sure I missed some.

I do have a question. Did they tell you that you would be in St Thomas all day so you could go out and explore? How did you know that if you went out for the day the ship would not leave you?

Thanks again

Just want to say to Pauley, thank you so much for your great and timely updates. This was a great thread to read because of your time and positive attitude. Wishing you and yours a safe travels and enjoy the rest of your time on the Liberty!

But I think you are forgetting something. That hospital is in the United States, and is subject to US Law.

The ship is registered to a foreign nation, and is not subject to the laws of the United States for many things.

If you were to sue Carnival, I believe their first defense would be "we are not a United States business. The plaintiff will need to sue us in the Bahamas", or wherever the ship is registered.

Even though this fire took place in US territory, I believe that you would be hard pressed for a court to take action on any compensation based on jurisdictional issues.

Again, though, there is a big difference between legal liability and "doing what is right" to keep your current and future cruise passengers happy and to keep PR looking good.

But good luck demanding more than you are offered....

Robert

None of that defense would work. First, Carnival is an American corporation, headquartered in Miami. It also markets its cruises to American residents and embarks at American ports. All 50 states plus the federal government would accept jurisdiction. The cruise lines get sued in the US pretty regularly, and jurisdiction is never an issue. In fact, courts have also tossed out the arbitration clauses snuck in the contracts as well. They give more in compensation than the contract requires to placate customers and keep it out of courts, because their contracts have not held up very well to judicial scrutiny.

I understand that there are people on the Carnival page and John Heald's page that may be dismissing my posts. No worries, since that does not bother me. I have posted the facts that I have either witnessed myself or have been provided by staff members and crew members. I have tried diligently to only post factual information without bias or emotion. If I posted anything that was incorrect, I have posted updated information. I appreciate all of the nice things that have been said about my posts. To answer a question from yesterday, I am not a journalist, nor do I work in public relations. I am a professional singer and music teacher. In my younger years I performed for several cruise lines as a production singer and dancer. I will post when we get final clearance from the coast guard.

None of that defense would work. First, Carnival is an American corporation, headquartered in Miami. It also markets its cruises to American residents and embarks at American ports. All 50 states plus the federal government would accept jurisdiction. The cruise lines get sued in the US pretty regularly, and jurisdiction is never an issue. In fact, courts have also tossed out the arbitration clauses snuck in the contracts as well. They give more in compensation than the contract requires to placate customers and keep it out of courts, because their contracts have not held up very well to judicial scrutiny.

....... or maybe because they want to do the right thing for their customer.

Question... Carnival has been more than generous. For the people who left the ship and are going to Barbados which is said to be paid for by carnival. Are those people mainly from Barbados or from other countries? If other countries is carnival picking up a hotel for them until there scheduled flight home? Also, what about the people who were to board in Barbados, on Wednesday I believe. What has carnival done for the? Just wondering and like I said carnival has gone overland beyond already!

....... or maybe because they want to do the right thing for their customer.

Or to get as much positive PR as is possible given the circumstances. With Valor, Triumph, and now Liberty Carnival is developing a bad reputation.

Another question.. How many will be upset if the ship doesn't make to San Juan and they are sent home by carnival? All sounds good now, $150 on board credit, if in San Juan use the ship as a hotel for free since you get reimbursed and 50% off next cruise. But will that change opinions if they don't make it to San Juan...

I understand that there are people on the Carnival page and John Heald's page that may be dismissing my posts. No worries, since that does not bother me. I have posted the facts that I have either witnessed myself or have been provided by staff members and crew members. I have tried diligently to only post factual information without bias or emotion. If I posted anything that was incorrect, I have posted updated information. I appreciate all of the nice things that have been said about my posts. To answer a question from yesterday, I am not a journalist, nor do I work in public relations. I am a professional singer and music teacher. In my younger years I performed for several cruise lines as a production singer and dancer. I will post when we get final clearance from the coast guard.

Screw 'em Pauley. You done right by us.

To the op, I have been following this thread from your first post. I offer a toast to you for your straightforward reports and I wish for you and your traveling companions a wonderful time for the rest of your "cruise."

You have an admirable attitude and I imagine it shows in everything you do.

Thank you.

As a passenger, you agreed that only a court in Dade County Florida would have jurisdiction.

From the contract every passenger agrees to:

© Except as provided in Clause 13 (d) below, it is agreed by and between the Guest and Carnival that all disputes and matters whatsoever arising under, in connection with or incident to this Contract or the Guest’s cruise, including travel to and from the vessel, shall be litigated, if at all, before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida in Miami, or as to those lawsuits to which the Federal Courts of the United States lack subject matter jurisdiction, before a court located in Miami-Dade County, Florida, U.S.A. to the exclusion of the Courts of any other county, state or country.

(d) Any and all disputes, claims, or controversies whatsoever, other than for personal injury, illness or death of a Guest, whether brought in personam or in rem or based on contract, tort, statutory, constitutional or other legal rights, including but not limited to alleged violation of civil rights, discrimination, consumer or privacy laws, or for any losses, damages or expenses, relating to or in any way arising out of or connected with this Contract or Guest’s cruise, no matter how described, pleaded or styled, between the Guest and Carnival, with the sole exception of claims brought and litigated in small claims court, shall be referred to and resolved exclusively by binding arbitration pursuant to the United Nations Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards (New York 1958), 21 U.S.T. 2517, 330 U.N.T.S. 3, 1970 U.S.T. LEXIS 115, 9 U.S.C. §§ 202-208 (“the Convention”) and the Federal Arbitration Act, 9 U.S.C. §§ 1, et seq., (“FAA”) solely in Miami-Dade County, Florida, U.S.A. to the exclusion of any other forum. Guest hereby consents to jurisdiction and waives any venue or other objection that may be available to any such arbitration proceeding in Miami-Dade, Florida.

Pauleydm

We so appreciate all of your posts .. wishing you a wonderful time in SJ.

Reader