BOGO, how often do they have it?

Jeepenfun

Parents are looking to do a re-positioning cruise through the Panama Canal and were wondering how often RC does the BOGO sale? Or even the BOGO 50% off. I know they just had one a few weeks ago but wondered how often they run the sale.

few have actually seen a rate reduction when this fairy tail sale (that is not a sale) is in effect

Edited by SeaUs

few have actually seen a rate reduction when this fairy tail sale is in effect

The first time that they ran it I caught a couple of price drops but then they seemed to raise the price everywhere to make up for the "sale" and haven't seen a good price since.

We saw a reduction for our Nov cruise right after we booked when they first announced the BOGOHO last year, but nothing since. In fact, prices have gone up across the board so the "sale" isn't really a sale and those already booked rarely see a price drop. I just priced out all our upcoming cruises and prices have only gone up. BOGOHO is just another sales gimmick that never ends.

Edited by BND

The first time that they ran it I caught a couple of price drops but then they seemed to raise the price everywhere to make up for the "sale" and haven't seen a good price since.

That and the 30/30 sale when it first came out for the Harmony have been about it for the really good deals.

Parents are looking to do a re-positioning cruise through the Panama Canal and were wondering how often RC does the BOGO sale? Or even the BOGO 50% off. I know they just had one a few weeks ago but wondered how often they run the sale.

Just an FYI, but RCI will not be doing any Panama Canal cruises in 2016.

You already missed the sale. It was 16 months ago until RCI caught on and jacked the prices sky high. But people are still buying into it and until they stop it'll stay.

You already missed the sale. It was 16 months ago until RCI caught on and jacked the prices sky high. But people are still buying into it and until they stop it'll stay.

Exactly! I lucked out and got a couple incredible deals during the first week or two of the "sale". Since then, prices on those cruises did nothing but skyrocket. I have one more Royal cruise booked, and my next three after that are on Princess. I just can't afford the inflated prices. Maybe I'll luck out and catch a good deal when the new itineraries come out next Spring.

Exactly! I lucked out and got a couple incredible deals during the first week or two of the "sale". Since then, prices on those cruises did nothing but skyrocket. I have one more Royal cruise booked, and my next three after that are on Princess. I just can't afford the inflated prices. Maybe I'll luck out and catch a good deal when the new itineraries come out next Spring.

What you have described is fundamentally how pricing algorithms work. We too were able to secure a huge drop when the sale started. Lots of people then saw the great prices and started booking heavily. What does a pricing algorithm do when ships are being heavily booked? It raises the prices of course!

People (I'm not referencing you specifically, but I see it often on these boards) talk about royal jacking up prices to make it not really a sale, but this is how pricing works all the time. Commensurately lower prices when ships aren't selling well. Its supply and demand all the way.

What you have described is fundamentally how pricing algorithms work. We too were able to secure a huge drop when the sale started. Lots of people then saw the great prices and started booking heavily. What does a pricing algorithm do when ships are being heavily booked? It raises the prices of course!

People (I'm not referencing you specifically, but I see it often on these boards) talk about royal jacking up prices to make it not really a sale, but this is how pricing works all the time. Commensurately lower prices when ships aren't selling well. Its supply and demand all the way.

This would be logical except for the reality that the inflated prices on 2014-2015 itineraries stayed inflated even when the next cycle (2016-2017) were released this march. This sham has nothing to do with supply or demand, or the sale would have ended before the new itineraries were released. It is a perpetual shell game.

I agree. I was looking at the Freedom for next December, and the prices were the same as the Harmony. It looks like my cruise this December will be the last on RCCL, unless they get their prices more in line with others.I just can't afford their new prices. $2500 to $2800 for a Superior balcony. That's about $800.00 more than I paid for the same on the Oasis in 2013. On our 9 night this December on their original BOGOHO sale, I paid $2300 for a Superior balcony on the Serenade.

So true, I got a great deal on my October cruise during the first two weeks. After that prices went way up and I haven't found anything worth jumping on to take advantage of the "sale."