Too old for strapless

Jane2357

:( How old do you consider to be too old for a strapless gown? :(:( I'm sad because I think I'm ... ahem ... too mature for that now, at 58. My last 4 gowns have at the least straps and some have sleeves and because I am large busted it does help keeping the girls in place and is more comfortable.

BUT - there is a GORGEOUS Kay Unger ball gown at the Saks outlet that I've seen twice now. Just hanging there calling my name, but it is strapless. A straight neck line, nothing too low but I just think "that ship has sailed" for me. If it were black I'd consider putting a short, dressy shrug over it but it is not black.

Anyone else out there feeling like I am that there comes a time that you have to let is go?

Edited by Jane2357

If it were me, I would take a friend with me, try it on, see what they say. This friend needs to be the kind that is honest, and tells you like it is. If they approve, go for it!!!!

I personally wouldn't put an age limit on strapless. It all depends on what it looks like on you.

Happy shopping!!!!!

Well, I'm in my mid 70s and do not wear strapless anymore. Not because I think I'm too old, but my arms are not toned, they are flabby and wrinkled to be honest. Even when I was younger, strapless wasn't comfortable for me. Never found a good strapless bra that worked.

If you have found a dress you like and it's comfortable for you, I say go for it. It's not your age it's your attitude, I say!!

Margee

As long as you aren't constantly pulling at the top, and it looks good, wear it. I always find it very distracting when women at any age are yanking at the top.

Yes, I call them thumb dresses…insert thumbs on sides of dress near underarms and yank up.

Is the dress something Julianne Moore or Helen Mirren would wear to the Oscars? Or something that your granddaughter would wear to prom?

As they say, "your never to old" ! I wore this gown, which I received from our CC friend, Marie, 2 yrs. ago & I was 70 yrs. old ! So if you feel comfortable, go for it or you could always add thin straps. :) (sorry the pic is alittle blurry).

Oasis-JudyampHorse_zpsb2aba5e9.jpg

You look fantastic. :)

Errrgh :mad: I found a photo of the dress but I can't seem to get a link or a photo here. Google Floral Print Ball Gown in Blue Multi Kay Unger. NEVER MIND - NOW IT DOESN'T BRING IT UP

I will say that the model wearing the dress is very young but the fabric up close is not something a young girl would wear although you don't see the fabulous detail in the picture. I'll just admit that my arms have a bit of the jiggle underneath although I'm working at it but no - I'm going to have to wear this dress in my dreams. :o I would be mortified if someone were to think I was not dressing age appropriate.

IrishLassie - you look wonderful!

Edited by Jane2357

Errrgh :mad: I found a photo of the dress but I can't seem to get a link or a photo here. Google Floral Print Ball Gown in Blue Multi Kay Unger. NEVER MIND - NOW IT DOESN'T BRING IT UP

I will say that the model wearing the dress is very young but the fabric up close is not something a young girl would wear although you don't see the fabulous detail in the picture. I'll just admit that my arms have a bit of the jiggle underneath although I'm working at it but no - I'm going to have to wear this dress in my dreams. :o I would be mortified if someone were to think I was not dressing age appropriate.

IrishLassie - you look wonderful!

Is this it?

http://www.kayunger.com/index.php?storeid=33&page=product&prodid=9244&sess=store33&store33=3hjfFURNet7uaX6nc75D40

You look fantastic. :)

I agree, Irish Lassie, you look great in that dress.

OP..... If you like how you look in that dress, go for it. Life is for fun. Who cares if some ball gown police have a negative opinion. Go buy that gown that is calling out to you and have a great time wearing it.

I really think it depends on your body, not your age. Some extremely busty 25 year old women should not do strapless.

I, myself at 61 have never been busty and my skin is not terribly wrinkly so I could get away with it IF I could stand underwire brass. I can't and I do not like myself braless (although I do not need a lot of support not being busty, I tend to "flatten down" braless), so I wouldn't.

Now I know this is not what you mean, (as you mean 'mature"older women) but for younger busty women; I have seen really cute "jeweled" bra straps at Joanne fabrics. For those busty gals I think it was be cute for them to take 1 pair and cover their bras straps by sewing it onto the straps of the bra that they plan to wear and then buy another matching/coordianitong pair to make"spaghetti straps" for a strapless gown.

If you really love it, you can find shrugs in most any color. -or if you have a friend who is handy with a sewing machine, a shrug is not that hard to make (I am told) way above my sewing ability, but for most sewers, doable.

Or a cute little faux fur stole!

:( How old do you consider to be too old for a strapless gown? :(:( I'm sad because I think I'm ... ahem ... too mature for that now, at 58. My last 4 gowns have at the least straps and some have sleeves and because I am large busted it does help keeping the girls in place and is more comfortable.

BUT - there is a GORGEOUS Kay Unger ball gown at the Saks outlet that I've seen twice now. Just hanging there calling my name, but it is strapless. A straight neck line, nothing too low but I just think "that ship has sailed" for me. If it were black I'd consider putting a short, dressy shrug over it but it is not black.

Anyone else out there feeling like I am that there comes a time that you have to let is go?

If it is the dress in the picture, it looks lovely. If you feel comfortable in it just go for it.

This IS THE DRESS! The photo does not do the fabric justice. It is stunning and pretty simple. Perhaps I could have it softened and then have straps made.

Cute dress. I tend to fall in the oh I am too old for that thinking sometimes as well, and my kids always tell me to stop it. :rolleyes:

I say buy it and try it on. Take a picture to show us if you're still concerned. I bet it will be fine. If not, I am certain something can be done to make it fine. Maybe a different bra, added straps, or just a nice wrap. I bet you could just get a blue chiffon wrap to match and wear it pinned round your shoulders if needed. :)

It's not just about age but about the wearer's body. IMO, strapless dresses don't look really good unless the wearer has toned arms and a good bust and the neck area is smooth and not wrinkly.

That's just what I was going to say, but with the added comment - definitely NOT if there is the slightest hint of 'bingo wings'!!:)

I think you could become "designer" and add some transparent-y type fabric that looks good - get something that covers the bare top and maybe upper arms. Ask some friends or someone with design talent to give ideas on making the bare top area a little covered, but with something transparent and glamorous? I think it's possible. Vera Wang would know what to do! (Just kidding)

It's best to buy what enhances your figure at any age. Strapless is difficult, too much bust, too little bust, not toned, not perky, you name it, strapless shows it all. The models in the photos do not move. Who knows where tape is applied to keep everything in place. :D