So frustrated.. flights just so expensive!

pbnjrockette

Our limitations are Philadelphia Airport... period.

That's your choice so stop whinging.

If a car service is too rich for you then why not take the train. It's not the worst journey in the world although does require changing trains at Penn Station in NYC and then from LIRR to the AirTrain at Jamaica. Renting a car was my other suggestion.

I do find the moans about the flights being more than the cruise to be amusing in their illogical way. Surely it just means you should buy a more expensive cruise?

Edited by fbgd

We use a car service when we go on international trips as it simply makes life easier (our airport is 1 hr away) especially when jet lagged on the return. We add it into our set trip costs. I am not sure of your dates but am seeing the same as others for a range of time in May/June. It is the small as well as the big items that add up in travel costs and only you know how you balance that.

Or, fly into FRA on LH - about $815 r/t and book your own flight FRA to AMS for $112 r/t - also LH. Also look to something into Brussels perhaps and enjoy a few days there before taking a train to AMS.

Edited by buggins0402

Or, fly into FRA on LH - about $815 r/t and book your own flight FRA to AMS for $112 r/t - also LH. Also look to something into Brussels perhaps and enjoy a few days there before taking a train to AMS.

Good suggestion. You could choose also to choose to fly KLM FRA-AMS and return for €97.21 (abut $110 US) RT for OP's dates. This allows OP to fly from/return to PHL for a total of $925 a ticket, which is a very good price.

There are many different ways for OP to achieve her goal.

Edited by 6rugrats

Instead of looking at it as the air fare is just about as much as the cruise. How about looking at it as total cost per day i.e fare and cruise and is the amount reasonable to you.

I think some posters have given you some good suggestions. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and consider all options.

That's your choice so stop whinging.

If a car service is too rich for you then why not take the train. It's not the worst journey in the world although does require changing trains at Penn Station in NYC and then from LIRR to the AirTrain at Jamaica. Renting a car was my other suggestion.

I do find the moans about the flights being more than the cruise to be amusing in their illogical way. Surely it just means you should buy a more expensive cruise?

You can also take Amtrak from Phil. to EWR if your have more flight choices from EWR. Have been on the train from D.C. to Penn Station and seen plenty of people with luggage exiting at the stop for EWR.

You can also take Amtrak from Phil. to EWR if your have more flight choices from EWR. Have been on the train from D.C. to Penn Station and seen plenty of people with luggage exiting at the stop for EWR.

I too was going suggest taking Amtrak to Newark Airport. You need to take the Regional train (not the Acela). Stop is at the airport though you do need to walk a bit to get there. It's well marked and well traveled since NJ PATH is also stops at EWR. Icelandair flies from EWR. Compare Economy and Economy Comfort to the other prices. We did (for a cruise later in the year) and opted for Economy Comfort. Price for EC was equal to regular economy on all of the other airlines.

Edited by Traveling Library

Thank you for the many helpful suggestions. Several new options to consider.

In my time working with airlines, I've found the cheapest fares to be available usually around 60-50 days prior to a flight. That said, it's a good idea to monitor prices through sites like skyscanner starting six months in advance, to get a feel of what a 'cheap fare' would actually be.

As several posters have suggested, flying through so-called unusual stops can be much cheaper too. Icelandair, Norwegian, and, starting in May or so as I recall, WOW air will all work well. I know WOW has been hawking $99 (all-in) fares from YYZ to KEF, and then another $149 to mainland Europe. It's a bit like Ryanair in terms of amenities, but if your goal is to save money, it sounds pretty good.

Personally, if I lived in south NJ, I would much prefer to drive with rental car to BWI than JFK. As tantamaude suggested, consider WOW airlines, which has round trip flights with a nice schedule (one stop in Iceland) for $722 pp on your dates.

In my time working with airlines, I've found the cheapest fares to be available usually around 60-50 days prior to a flight.

Generalizations like this are pretty inadvisable since it all depends on the route, origin point, time of year etc.

I'm about 60 days out from one international itinerary in December and the tickets I booked are now $12,000 per person more than when I booked at the end of May. Yes, $12,000, not a typo.

Generalizations like this are pretty inadvisable since it all depends on the route, origin point, time of year etc.

An unfair critique. The full paragraph from which the quote was taken (emphasis mine):

"In my time working with airlines, I've found the cheapest fares to be available usually around 60-50 days prior to a flight. That said, it's a good idea to monitor prices through sites like skyscanner starting six months in advance, to get a feel of what a 'cheap fare' would actually be."

I don't understand the defense of this article. I have not found airfare to be cheaper 50-60 days before the flight, especially for a TATL flight. If you wait that long, IME, you are paying much more, especially for summer or holiday travel, then if you'd booked before the lower fare classes sold out.

There is no accurate predictor when tickets would be cheaper. If there was, everyone would purchase during that time. And then, of course, airlines would realize this, and you know what would happen to pricing during this "magic window".

There is a psychological element to the fascination with a "magic window". Having that date means that the traveler doesn't need to do research, to put in the time and effort to get a decent price. They can just wait til the window, punch in their details and voila...the best deal. It plays on the aspect of "hope" and replaces thinking with rote procedure.

It's also a great demonstration of the power of belief vs rational thought -- when it gets well demonstrated why there is no such window (nor can there be one), there remains the belief that there really is one, but it's being kept a secret.

Wow, just read this string and very interesting. Am also struggling with the cost of Tampa to Amsterdam and back this June. In just a few days of looking I have seen airfare go from the 1500 region to the 1700 region. I will look into several of the suggestions you have all made and if anyone has any other advice, bring it on! Marilyn

Wow, just read this string and very interesting. Am also struggling with the cost of Tampa to Amsterdam and back this June. In just a few days of looking I have seen airfare go from the 1500 region to the 1700 region. I will look into several of the suggestions you have all made and if anyone has any other advice, bring it on! Marilyn

Hi Marilyn, I am flying from Jacksonville to AMS in the spring...(APRIL)

I have been searching flights for about 2.5 months now......I am keeping

a close on eye on prices....I have found Jet Blue from here to JFK and

then Aer Lingus....JFK to Dublin on to AMS for about 1175.00. Not sure

if Jet Blue flies from Tampa but you might check them.

Hi Marilyn, I am flying from Jacksonville to AMS in the spring...(APRIL)

I have been searching flights for about 2.5 months now......I am keeping

a close on eye on prices....I have found Jet Blue from here to JFK and

then Aer Lingus....JFK to Dublin on to AMS for about 1175.00. Not sure

if Jet Blue flies from Tampa but you might check them.

Oh...I know Jet Blue flies from Orlando too.....if you check MCO to AMS

too.

If you post your travel dates, and your "musts", it's easier to offer suggestions.

Such as "must have nonstop flight", "must leave/return to TPA, won't consider any other airport", "unwilling to take a train", etc.

There is a psychological element to the fascination with a "magic window". Having that date means that the traveler doesn't need to do research, to put in the time and effort to get a decent price. They can just wait til the window, punch in their details and voila...the best deal. It plays on the aspect of "hope" and replaces thinking with rote procedure.

It's also a great demonstration of the power of belief vs rational thought -- when it gets well demonstrated why there is no such window (nor can there be one), there remains the belief that there really is one, but it's being kept a secret.

And WN has done a great job of capitalizing on this. (Slightly different than the the "X number of days prior to flight date" but similar.) By releasing tickets for a block of time all at once, rather than day by day, they've created an environment in which people wait, tapping their foot impatiently, for that magic day that they've circle on the calendar, on which WN will release tickets for the months of X, Y and Z.

Over the past three years we have not experienced much pricing difference on transatlantic fares in booking 120-180 days out vs. 45 days out. We do this at least once a year. But we are very flexible with regard to airline, gateway, and stopover.

We are flexible and would consider orlando or Miami if it would be financially worthwhile. We expect to depart June29th to get to Ams the day before the cruise which leaves on the first of July. Cruise returns on the thirteenth and our first choice would be to return that day.

I guess what I am wondering is, does anyone know if there is a day of the week when fares are better...or time of day? I seem to remember in years past that airlines put out their sale fares on Tues evening or something like that. Or maybe that is an urban myth? Marilyn

I guess what I am wondering is, does anyone know if there is a day of the week when fares are better...or time of day? I seem to remember in years past that airlines put out their sale fares on Tues evening or something like that. Or maybe that is an urban myth? Marilyn

Urban legends. If there was a "magic time" for fares, everyone would only buy then. The airlines would figure this out PDQ, and raise the fares then.

You just have to do the research. No short cuts.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Agree, cheaper days to purchase are urban legend.

Norwegian doesn't have their calendar open for July 2016 yet, but suggest you look at them when they open the schedule. They fly MCO-AMS on Mondays and Thursdays. Price, one way on 27 June is $323.10 per person. For Thursday, 30 June, it's $492.40.

Flying FLL/MIA-AMS, they fly Mon/Thur/Sat/Sun. Please make sure to read the extra charges they will add to your flight price which includes checked bags, meals and seat assignments.

Otherwise, least expensive flights I see for MIA-AMS are on TAP, $1171 RT. For MCO-AMS on combination of WestJet and Icelandair $1225.

Edited by 6rugrats

I guess what I am wondering is, does anyone know if there is a day of the week when fares are better...or time of day? I seem to remember in years past that airlines put out their sale fares on Tues evening or something like that. Or maybe that is an urban myth?

When people talk about "days" for buying tickets, you actually have to differentiate between two different things. The day of purchase and the day of travel.

Day of purchase is urban legend now...at one time, it did have some small basis of fact but not for decades. Too detailed to discuss why it happened then...just accept that it isn't true now. Day of travel is a different story, but isn't a factor of the day but that the day is a part of our old friend supply & demand. There is greater demand for flights on Monday and Friday for business travel - Friday Saturday and Sunday for vacation routes. Think of 8-10 ships each dumping 2000+ passengers into SoFla. What do you think that does to the demand curve?