Fort Lauderdale Cruise Terminal, Not Good!

captdave

Got back Monday from a 17 day Panama Canal from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale, nice cruise.

Long lines to go through customs, very long. When you finally get to the inspector he just about waves you through, why the long lines?

Transportation to Fort Lauderdale Airport, not good. Celebrity told us outside the terminal that cabs were impossible to get. There busses were only $16 a person to airport. We bought 2 tickets right there.

No order for getting in line, just a mad unorganized rush (WTH). I have never seen people in the US packed on busses like this, a real disgrace Celebrity.

After 45 minute's and watching 3 over packed busses get loaded we realized the next buss wasn't coming soon. Got our money back and asked for that impossible to get taxi stand?

Taxi's were 200 feet to the left from the exit door where we were standing originally. Loads of taxi's just standing there, got an SUV to hold all our stuff. No waiting and only $25 total to the airport.

Don't every take Celebrity's Airport Transfers at Fort Lauderdale, unless you like to be overcharged and abused.

After a wonderful Aqua 1 17 day Panama Canal Cruise this is how I will last remember Celebrity, Nice! Shame on everyone at Fort Lauderdale for putting Infinity's guests through this!

CaptDave

I have found in the past once you are off the ship the Celebrity service stops even if you have Celebrity transfers.

We did have a hard time getting a taxi after one of our cruises out of there. It was a mad house. Next time we were able to get a family memeber to pick us up. Made it so much easier.

Edited by CruisingChick

I have never seen people in the US packed on busses like this, a real disgrace Celebrity.

After 45 minute's and watching 3 over packed busses get loaded we realized the next buss wasn't coming soon. Got our money back and asked for that impossible to get taxi stand?

Taxi's were 200 feet to the left from the exit door where we were standing originally. Loads of taxi's just standing there, got an SUV to hold all our stuff. No waiting and only $25 total to the airport.

So are you saying the buses to the airport they were making them standing room only, making people stand in the aisles? It the only way I can imagine what you describe, as it's typical to fill all empty seats, which wouldn't be over crowding...they normally have multiple busses lined up, and as one has every single seat full it leaves and they begin to fill the next till it is also full. It'd be silly to send buses out with empty seats...I've had to sit and wait 15-20 minutes for a bus to fill, but its no biggie, still get to the airport in plenty of time.

And as to taxis', it's hit and miss at the pier for sure. I've given up on taxis' as the taxi line is often 45 minutes long for me consolidating multiple ships from multiple piers into 2 disorganized lines coming from both ends, so I just take whatever available shuttle service I can find. But as you arrived on a Monday, there was probably not many if any other ships in port, so it was an atypical day for that issue.

As to customs delays, yes they waive lots of people right thru, others they inspect and question. If they truly were waiving everyone by, there truly would been no line. Again, it all varies on each situation the officer encounters. Anyone with issues with the speed of this area, must contact their Congressional representatives to react, Celebrity can't do anything about this, nor any other cruise line. Customs is as Customs is. Write tour rep asking for better service, and add Automated Kiosks for those with Global Entry status.

I have found in the past once you are off the ship the Celebrity service stops even if you have Celebrity transfers.

We did have a hard time getting a taxi after one of our cruises out of there. It was a mad house. Next time we were able to get a family memeber to pick us up. Made it so much easier.

Left the terminal and looked for taxi's. Was told taxi's were impossible to get there. Spent $16 a person and waited 45 minute's in the HELL LINES for the airport transfers.

Could have just turned left and done a very short walk to the taxi's for $25 total (no waiting). We finally found these, great!

Trying to get the airport transfer's was the only part of this entire trip that didn't work. United Airlines, 2 great flight. All other transportation was just wonderful.

To bad Celebrity Fort Lauderdale is the last thing we will remewmber.

CaptDave

I'm sorry you had such a poor end to your cruise. We've always found Ft Lauderdale easy. We self debark and taxis are cheap and plentiful. I've heard the customs lines can get long, but we've never encountered it. I'm sure getting off early helps.

Cruise line transfers are rarely the best way to go. The port sections on Cruise Critic is a great place for info for things like this. :)

I'm sorry you had such a poor end to your cruise. We've always found Ft Lauderdale easy. We self debark and taxis are cheap and plentiful. I've heard the customs lines can get long, but we've never encountered it. I'm sure getting off early helps.

Cruise line transfers are rarely the best way to go. The port sections on Cruise Critic is a great place for info for things like this. :)

Celebrity Rep at terminal exit said, "Taxi's were next to impossible to get there"! Airport transfers were only $16 each. We didn't think Celebrity would pull a cheap scam at Fort Lauderdale Cruise Terminal?

CaptDave

Edited by captdave

Why are you blaming Celebrity?

Does X run Customs and Immigration? No.

Does X control or run the Port terminal? No

Does X make it so that cabs have a difficult time getting in and out thru security at FLL terminal. No

Note that when multiple ships dock at the same time that FLL is simply overwhelmed and US Customs and Immigration has only a limited number of officers (they are only needed for a couple of hours in the morning) allocated to them. Capt Dave is correct that by turning LEFT and walking a short distance you avoid the issue of getting cabs into the secured port area and thus NO taxi lines. That is discussed in the port section of CCritic.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but it is not the fault of any cruise company.

Customs and Immigration can be hit or miss. In both Miami and Ft Lauderdale, I've had it take forever and had them practically wave me past. Part of it depends on where the ship has been previously and what documents passengers have, plus the nationality of passengers. When it gets really bad, they sometimes have "US and Canada only " lines to speed it up for some.

As for bus transport, it again depends, but most people on this board recommend either a taxi or pre-arranged private transfer.

Transportation to Fort Lauderdale Airport, not good. Celebrity told us outside the terminal that cabs were impossible to get. There busses were only $16 a person to airport. We bought 2 tickets right there.

It's too bad that they told you that cabs weren't available. Port Everglades is thick with taxis. Not only that, but a trip to the airport is usually under $20, including tip.

Edited by POA1

Why are you blaming Celebrity?

Does X run Customs and Immigration? No.

Does X control or run the Port terminal? No

Does X make it so that cabs have a difficult time getting in and out thru security at FLL terminal. No

Note that when multiple ships dock at the same time that FLL is simply overwhelmed and US Customs and Immigration has only a limited number of officers (they are only needed for a couple of hours in the morning) allocated to them. Capt Dave is correct that by turning LEFT and walking a short distance you avoid the issue of getting cabs into the secured port area and thus NO taxi lines. That is discussed in the port section of CCritic.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but it is not the fault of any cruise company.

I think what his main complaint was that the Celebrity rep told him Taxi's were impossible to get when in fact there were loads of taxis there. It was obviously a ploy to get him to buy the transfers. I agree on the Customs and Immigration because very often it depends on how many ships are in port as to how quickly you will get through.

The last time we returned to FLL was on RCCL and was a total horror. They rushed to empty the ship and remove us and the other passengers from whatever places on board where we were at least semi-comfortable only to stand in lines that serpentined not only in the totally jammed building but outside as well starting at the gangway.

We were thankful that we had used luggage valet and only had to drag around our carry-ons.

bosco

We've had times when there were almost no cabs available, and some of us flagged a limo which was bringing in new passengers--along with s l o w Customs/Immigration, we missed our noon flight.

and we've had times when we walked out and waited about ten minutes in line for a taxi. Again after S L O W Customs/Immigration.

It appears to be the luck of the draw. But I certainly don't blame Celebrity.

Guess we'll find out again in a month.

I have found that Celebrity will give you bad information about outside services when they have a competing service. Happened on more than one occasion. I have also found that they are ALWAYS more expensive than making your own arrangements.

It is capitalism at its finest. . .

A couple comments since I was on the same cruise as the OP. 1) The Infinity was the only ship in port and it was docked at the terminal used by Oasis and Allure (very big). 2) Almost all of the 12 customs agent booths were filled, so we had the big terminal and every agent working. However, they were not waving people through. One couple in front of us had to submit fingerprints. Another one required the customs agent to leave her booth for 5 minutes. The lines were long but they moved steadily. 3) I can't speak to the other part of the commentary since we took a rental car shuttle. From leaving the ship to the car rental counter was about an hour and a half, which in retrospect seems long to me. Then again, we were one of the last groups off the ship.

We were also on the same cruise. Returned on a Monday and were the only ship in port. Always take a cab in Ft Lauderdale, cheaper and usually faster than transfers. Saw long lines waiting for buses but no one at cab stand with many empty cabs.

Agree that customs lines were long and slow. They might have been more alert than usual since we had made several central american stops including Columbia. Believe that much of delay though was due to large number of foreign passengers. Appeared that customs took extra time with them, asking for fingerprints, while basically waving US passengers through. On some prior cruises there were separate US / non-US lines. Not here. Also, very few family groups, meaning that customs officers were only clearing two people at a time. Altogether it took us about an hour to leave ship, grab luggage, clear customs and reach FLL. Not too bad, but this was an M class ship holding only about 2000 passengers.

Oh yeah, it was a great cruise.

After reading these posts' date=' I'm nervous about making our 12:20pm flight from FLL on a Saturday from Infinity Panama Canal sailing!:eek:[/quote']

Ya'll will be just fine.

We have returned thru Port Everglades in 2012 on Princess, 5 ships in, 11:50 flight, and last Nov 2014 on the Equinox, and made it to the airport in time for a bloody mary before a 10:45 SW flight.

OH MY! The wifester just reminded me that I had her worried sick last yr cause I had booked us on a 10:15 return flight!

Still made it in time.

Edited by wallie5446

After reading these posts' date=' I'm nervous about making our 12:20pm flight from FLL on a Saturday from Infinity Panama Canal sailing!:eek:[/quote']

I've made 10:15 flights. It can be tight but it's doable.

Key for safety, the taxi situation is an unknown. first off gets the early taxi. Celebrity buses run all the time one after the next as they fill, so that's the safest way, or pre-arrange a ride. worst case, yu sit on th coach for 15 minutes waiting for it to fill.

... we are thinking of self-disembarkation on our Western Caribbean cruise in Feb 2016 in order to make a 10.45a flight. Are buses there waiting upon arrival or do we wait for them to arrive, then load, then depart, correct?

I will go to the port postings, but it appears that taxi would be our best option for now, correct?

TIA - bo1953

You will have no problem. You can easily get to fll by 9:30 if you try. This is Cruise Critic, don't believe everything you read.

We were also on the same cruise. Returned on a Monday and were the only ship in port. Always take a cab in Ft Lauderdale, cheaper and usually faster than transfers. Saw long lines waiting for buses but no one at cab stand with many empty cabs.

Agree that customs lines were long and slow. They might have been more alert than usual since we had made several central american stops including Columbia. Believe that much of delay though was due to large number of foreign passengers. Appeared that customs took extra time with them, asking for fingerprints, while basically waving US passengers through. On some prior cruises there were separate US / non-US lines. Not here. Also, very few family groups, meaning that customs officers were only clearing two people at a time. Altogether it took us about an hour to leave ship, grab luggage, clear customs and reach FLL. Not too bad, but this was an M class ship holding only about 2000 passengers.

Oh yeah, it was a great cruise.

I think you are on to something. The places the ship was and the passenger mix could have and probably did have something to do with it.

We were on another cruise line (before we found X) and the ship was very late in boarding because of customs processing people and getting the ship cleared. It had also been to a South American country can't remember where.

We are on the Oct 29th cruise out of FLL and I am glad poster posted this thread.:) Our ports are Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, and Costa Maya so we may

have some trouble as well. Always good to have warning, gives an opportunity

to prepare.

I think you are on to something. The places the ship was and the passenger mix could have and probably did have something to do with it.

We were on another cruise line (before we found X) and the ship was very late in boarding because of customs processing people and getting the ship cleared. It had also been to a South American country can't remember where.

We are on the Oct 29th cruise out of FLL and I am glad poster posted this thread.:) Our ports are Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, and Costa Maya so we may

have some trouble as well. Always good to have warning, gives an opportunity

to prepare.

Cruises that start and end at different places will certainly have more scrutiny with our lovely US border agents.