Question for everyone.

jpcdds6

Does anyone have any idea as to how many of our fellow passengers on any given cruise are using Cruise Critic? I know that there are a lot of repeat cruisers on most ships, but are we, the roll call members, and the frequent posters, in the minority? Or do most of the people on board know who Frank Del Rio is, and who Kevin Sheehan was?

Hard to say, but in my opinion I would say minority. There are those who don't actually join cruise critic but may just have a browse at the threads etc..

I didn't use cruise critic until my 3rd cruise... but wish I used it before!

In terms of who Kevin/Frank are, I didn't know who they were until I read cruise critic.

Look at the size of most of the cruise Roll Calls, only a very small percent of passengers on any one ship belong to the Roll Calls. I would think that Cruise Critic members are still a minority of the total passenger count. There could also been a number off CC members that look for information about a cruise but do not choice to actively participate.

As to Mr. Del Rio, Mr. Sheehan or Andy Stuart, few know or care.

That really surprises me. I would have assumed higher. Like in the 10 to 15% range.

No offense to the CC staff or the posters here but CC isn't as big a deal as many would believe. Also, as far as DelRio and Sheehan go, most people on board probably not only don't know who they are but most likely don't care.

Look at the size of most of the cruise Roll Calls, only a very small percent of passengers on any one ship belong to the Roll Calls. I would think that Cruise Critic members are still a minority of the total passenger count. There could also been a number off CC members that look for information about a cruise but do not choice to actively participate.

As to Mr. Del Rio, Mr. Sheehan or Andy Stuart, few know or care.

I agree that most cruisers don't seem to know about Cruise Critic, but I wouldn't necessarily measure CC numbers by the Roll Call numbers. Some of us aren't "joiners", but are longtime CC followers anyway. And although I've seen the names listed above now and then in posts here, I couldn't tell anyone much of anything about who they are or what they do for CC, NCL, or cruising in general. Nor do I typically know who the Captain, or Cruise Director, etc, is for most cruises my wife & I take. But I DO tend to know quite a bit about the ship we're on, and the ports we visit. And I have CC to thank for that.

I've always thought 1 to 3 percent. When I'm on a cruise, I usually ask folks if they are on cruise critic and very few have heard of it. When they say no, I do recommend that they come on the site.

Until I came on to Cruise Critic, I had no idea who the executives were at any of the cruise lines that I cruised on.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Definitely a small percentage of cruise members, even repeat cruisers, use cruise critic, and many wouldn't post on the roll call board. These days, a lot of people rely on things like tripadvisor, but few use cruisecritic. It's their loss.

I would venture to say 5-10% or so......which if a ship has 2500 passengers, 250 could be Cruise Critic enrolled. Not everyone joins in the Meet & Greets or Roll Calls, some just come to research and collect info.

Currently my Roll Call has 40 people registered for the Meet & Greet and I know that on a ship with 4000 passengers that is not that much.

I love Cruise Critic and love researching and reading about the different options, cruise lines and user experiences.

Definitely a small percentage of cruise members, even repeat cruisers, use cruise critic, and many wouldn't post on the roll call board. These days, a lot of people rely on things like tripadvisor, but few use cruisecritic. It's their loss.

No offense, but you don't know that to be true anymore than other folks who said 3%, 10% or 15%. Everyone is just guessing. There is something like 20 million people who cruise each year. It would be impossible to get a correct answer for the O.P. ;)

We are a very small percentage.....most cruisers are not fanatics...and don't care who the Captain is, or the cruise director, or anything that many folks worry about! The great majority are vacationing...out for a good time! And, that's what they'll get! A great vacation! All's good!

I never knew of CC till I saw a notice on a stateroom door a couple of cruises ago. When I got home I looked it up. Am I glad I did!!

I have only been to 1 "M&G" and was surprised how few there were there; hopefully there will be more next time.

Mike

Pom by Birth; Retired Coin Collecting Kiwi by Choice.

I am one of those that only use CC whenever i will take a cruise. I take one or 2 cruises a year and i start looking at CC maybe a month or two before my cruise happens whether is to find out an answer to something or for roll call. Meet and greet, gift exchange etc etc... The rest of the time i hardly use it at all i imagine a lot of people are like that..i am just guessing..

No offense to the CC staff or the posters here but CC isn't as big a deal as many would believe. Also, as far as DelRio and Sheehan go, most people on board probably not only don't know who they are but most likely don't care.

"Who's Sheehan?"

Resigned at the start of the year :(

"Who's Sheehan?"

Resigned at the start of the year :(

He was the one on that lame show " Undercover boss" which at the beginning everything goes wrong but then at the end everything is magically fixed but then we never found what long term improvements were made on the company..eventually he resigned :D

Edited by qtaromar1970

I would say an average 10% CC (with 5% visiting a M&G of those) and perhaps also a 10-20% lurkers on CC, folks with no registration but do take in the info. Per sailing.

That would make it one out of every three or four (adult) pax who ever visited/used CC.

Is that a reasonable guess?

I think that more and more people are researching cruises, ships and ports online so it follows that more and more will most likely run into cruise critic posts. I started cruising way back where you went to a travel agency and picked up a cruise brochure:rolleyes: Wish I had found this forum earlier, but now I'm checking it all the time.

We started cruising in 2009 and have done about one per year since then. Wish we could afford to go more often! I never heard of CC until after our third cruise. I got a new smart phone and was looking at some apps and there it was. I think I was just reading threads for a couple of months before I joined. I have learned so much since then, thanks to CC. Saved quite a bit of money too. People have been very helpful sharing tips and information.