Another rumour????!

sandancer

Some friends cruising at the moment have emailed to say that X will no longer have Formal nights in future. I'm having a hard time believing that this is fact when I can't find any mention of it in this forum. Everyone knows that CC members find out this stuff way ahead of anyone else. If it is true, then I can see some heated debates ahead.

The nice thing about Celebrity at present is you do have choices.

We enjoy a couple of nights of dressing up, it does make those nights special.

We do appreciate the views of those who do not want to dress up and there are other options for them on the formal night. In addition the accepted view of what formal wear is on Celebrity is not over high, formal suits and long gowns are not needed.

Don't try to fix something that is not broken!

Some friends cruising at the moment have emailed to say that X will no longer have Formal nights in future. I'm having a hard time believing that this is fact when I can't find any mention of it in this forum. Everyone knows that CC members find out this stuff way ahead of anyone else. If it is true, then I can see some heated debates ahead.

Very brave posting that here :D

Be prepared for demands for sworn affidavits and so on....

The nice thing about Celebrity at present is you do have choices.

We enjoy a couple of nights of dressing up, it does make those nights special.

We do appreciate the views of those who do not want to dress up and there are other options for them on the formal night. In addition the accepted view of what formal wear is on Celebrity is not over high, formal suits and long gowns are not needed.

Don't try to fix something that is not broken!

Well said!

This question was asked by a fellow passenger to the CC hostess on our cruise about 2 months ago.

She stated that they were not doing away with formal night, but that it (the dress code) is not enforced any more.

The non enforcement will be the death knell of Formal Night. On our last cruise on Carnival (it was also our LAST cruise on Carnival) we stepped out of the elevator on Formal Night in our Formal Attire and I immediately thought that we had the wrong night as the majority of our fellow passengers apparently decided to ignore the requested attire for the evening. It made us feel like WE were out of place.

Having said that, we have also sailed on Oceania where there are no formal nights and the attire is always country club casual and everyone dressed very nicely (maybe it has to do with the age group that sails with them?)

I'd really be surprised if this were true. On our previous 3 cruises on Celebrity (all Europe) the concept of Formal Nights was alive and well. A lot of people dressed up and seemed to enjoy it. Definitely adds to the charm. I for one, hate suiting up while I'm on vacation but really 2 nights is okay.

The reason I'd really be surprised if Celebrity did away with it, is because of the revenue loss. I've always seen long lines of people waiting to take pictures and many people buy those outrageously expensive pictures as well. Also the specialty restaurants are full of people who don't want to dress up on formal nights.

Maybe its different in other parts of the world?

I'd really be surprised if this were true. On our previous 3 cruises on Celebrity (all Europe) the concept of Formal Nights was alive and well. A lot of people dressed up and seemed to enjoy it. Definitely adds to the charm. I for one, hate suiting up while I'm on vacation but really 2 nights is okay.

The reason I'd really be surprised if Celebrity did away with it, is because of the revenue loss. I've always seen long lines of people waiting to take pictures and many people buy those outrageously expensive pictures as well. Also the specialty restaurants are full of people who don't want to dress up on formal nights.

Maybe its different in other parts of the world?

They don't have to loose revenue from photo's. I spent $800 on photo's on a Princess Cruise one time. They actually had photographers stationed during the day taking informal casual shots against a white background. There was a line waiting for pictures. I think if they set up more photo stations on non formal nights and during the day on sea days they may boost sales. I hate those candid shots when you are in the middle of eating dinner and they ask you to pose or those cheesy port of call shots. If they created more opportunity for formal poses on smart casual nights I think many would stop to at least have a picture taken. If you deliberately pose to take a picture you are a least going to go to the photo gallery to see how it came out. I never look for the pictures that I was forced to pose in.

Well, I can't say it would surprise me. It did surprise me when HAL recently dropped the requirements for Jackets, they didn't even allow smart casual in the specialty restaurants on Formal Night. I've always thought X would eventually move away from them. It doesn't jive with Modern Luxury and the brands right above them, Oceania & Azamara don't have them. Will be interesting to see if it's true.

This question was asked by a fellow passenger to the CC hostess on our cruise about 2 months ago.

She stated that they were not doing away with formal night, but that it (the dress code) is not enforced any more.

If the dress code isn't enforced and passengers are allowed to set the standard, there's little doubt that the level of dress will slowly decline. I'd prefer to see formal dress requirements dropped altogether rather than letting them die a slow death in this manner.

Edited by Fouremco

Formal nights are not only an anachronism, they have also become fairly difficult and imposing for many. Airlines have weight limitations. When one is going on, say, a 14 night Europe cruise and restricted to one piece of luggage, 50 pounds, it's hard enough to get all of the clothes and other items one needs into that let alone fitting in all of the extra stuff needed for formal nights.

Cruise lines are slowly backing away from the concept. Oceania, Azamara, NCL have no formal nights. It doesn't mean people are wearing "torn blue jeans and t-shirts" to dinner. Passengers still dress accordingly. We've been on several cruises without formal nights and have yet to feel bad about it...

As we've seen on Oceania, having no formal nights doesn't prevent those wishing to "dress up" for dinner from doing so. We've seen many older gentlemen in dinner jackets or coats and ties and some women in long formal gowns. It is just that everyone is not compelled to do the same. It really doesn't detract in any way from the cruising experience.

For me, the change cannot come soon enough. I hope this rumor proves to be true.

Well, I can't say it would surprise me. It did surprise me when HAL recently dropped the requirements for Jackets, they didn't even allow smart casual in the specialty restaurants on Formal Night. I've always thought X would eventually move away from them. It doesn't jive with Modern Luxury and the brands right above them, Oceania & Azamara don't have them. Will be interesting to see if it's true.

What surprised me about HAL going to a Gala Night (formal optional) was the reaction on the HAL boards. I expected to see a lot of "The End Is Nigh" comments. But, instead, it was calmly accepted as if they had been expected this change.

If the dress code isn't enforced and passengers are allowed to set the standard, there's little doubt that the level of dress will slowly decline. I'd prefer to see formal dress requirements dropped altogether rather than letting them die a slow death in this manner.

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with the level of dress matching the preferences of the cruise line customers.

I agree, it would be better if the cruise lines changed their policies but the current state of affairs is perfect for the cruise lines. They can say they have formal nights to attract a certain class of passenger. They can fail to enforce the dress code to attract another class of passenger. It's a win-win situation for them.

The standards for what PASSES as formal wear, have been nothing less than GHASTLY for QUITE some time now.

No TRUE gentleman would even THINK of being seen in public without powdered wig and tunic. ;) :D :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

Formal nights are not only an anachronism, they have also become fairly difficult and imposing for many. Airlines have weight limitations. When one is going on, say, a 14 night Europe cruise and restricted to one piece of luggage, 50 pounds, it's hard enough to get all of the clothes and other items one needs into that let alone fitting in all of the extra stuff needed for formal nights.

Cruise lines are slowly backing away from the concept. Oceania, Azamara, NCL have no formal nights. It doesn't mean people are wearing "torn blue jeans and t-shirts" to dinner. Passengers still dress accordingly. We've been on several cruises without formal nights and have yet to feel bad about it...

As we've seen on Oceania, having no formal nights doesn't prevent those wishing to "dress up" for dinner from doing so. We've seen many older gentlemen in dinner jackets or coats and ties and some women in long formal gowns. It is just that everyone is not compelled to do the same. It really doesn't detract in any way from the cruising experience.

For me, the change cannot come soon enough. I hope this rumor proves to be true.

Very well said, and I completely agree. We typically forgo formal night on European cruises for those very reasons and found we love not having to stress over how to fit the extra clothes into our one fairly small suitcase. And no, we're certainly not the torn jeans crowd--we still dress smartly and use formal nights as our opportunity to eat in Murano again. We still love our Celebrity cruise experience.

NCL has "Dress up or not" evenings. It was 50% dressing up and about 50% not. There were photographers set up on these evenings with long lines waiting.

For our Alaskan cruise and land tour last year we skipped formal nights so we could get by with less luggage. I thought we would miss not participating in formal nights, but we didn't miss it at all.

Formal night may be in name only in the future.

When you don't enforce a formal attire for the evening as Celebrity is not, then it is just a matter of time.

I loved formal nights in the past and wearing a tux. Then due to lack enforcement of formal attire on Royal and Celebrity and airline luggage weight restrictions, we stopped bringing formal attire and I come to dinner in a sports jacket and tie.

Plan to still bring them, but can see that there will be less people wearing some type of formal and even smart casual. We have experienced a black t-shirt and an Hawaiian shirt on formal nights in recent past with no enforcement by Celebrity. Both at our MDR table.

It is a change that will, IMHO, over time lessen the affinity/loyality to cruising for many. It has already for us. Still love to cruise, but liked how it was in the past as a special, completely different/unique type of vacation vs now it seems cruise lines are working hard to make cruises like a land based vacation with everything you have on land based vacation available.

Edited by shipshape sam

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with the level of dress matching the preferences of the cruise line customers.

I agree, it would be better if the cruise lines changed their policies but the current state of affairs is perfect for the cruise lines. They can say they have formal nights to attract a certain class of passenger. They can fail to enforce the dress code to attract another class of passenger. It's a win-win situation for them.

I agree with your assessment completely. There will still be very unhappy old timers who will simply never accept anything but the stated guide lines on the Celebrity website. The reality of what is happening on the ships is very far removed from those guidelines.

I've been sailing since the 70's and loved the days when the entire ship was dressed to the nines in all public rooms for the entire evening. Those days are long gone and are never coming back. I really wish Celebrity would just go to Smart Casual all the time and truly enforce the no shorts, t-shirts, ripped jeans in dining rooms in the evening.

I agree with your assessment completely. There will still be very unhappy old timers who will simply never accept anything but the stated guide lines on the Celebrity website. The reality of what is happening on the ships is very far removed from those guidelines.

I've been sailing since the 70's and loved the days when the entire ship was dressed to the nines in all public rooms for the entire evening. Those days are long gone and are never coming back. I really wish Celebrity would just go to Smart Casual all the time and truly enforce the no shorts, t-shirts, ripped jeans in dining rooms in the evening.

Interesting in that the past is gone and not coming back. I agree things evolve.

Good luck on your wish for selective enforcement of those items you feel need to be excluded vs Celebrity enforcing their own stated guidelines. Time will tell.

Agreed. I'm no longer a fan of dressing up but back in the days of my ill spent youth, I certainly did. I would wear a suit to board a plane. Just not as much fun as before.

My epiphany came on a business trip. I put on my sports coat and walked to the rental car where I placed the coat on the back of the seat. At the facility, I put on the coat and wore it to the meeting room where every one took off their coats and put them on the back of the seats. I said to self: "Self, this is dumb." I stopped taking sports coats on trips and no one noticed.

Pretty much the same thing on formal nights where many report hanging their coats on the back of their chairs. My favorite post recounted a gentleman who was giving a sports coat that didn't fit by the matre'd who told him just carry it over his arm. Once he arrived at the table, the waiter took the coat and returned it to the matre'd to give to another gentleman. That's when I knew formal nights were soon to be a thing of the past.