Cork Fees are back...

or perhaps they never left, but I've read on this board that there were no cork fees. Anyway, last week while on the Indy, we wanted to enjoy some Champagne for the DW's Birthday & Sail Away. So on Day 1 a little before Sail Away I went to Olive or Twist (Deck 14 formerly Viking Lounge) to have them place the bottle on ice and was told that there was a $20 cork fee. I requested the bartender to verify this and he called the "Bar Manager" who confirmed the charge. I told him no thanks. We enjoyed the Sail Away, the Birthday party and the Champagne in my buddies GS.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

or perhaps they never left, but I've read on this board that there were no cork fees. Anyway, last week while on the Indy, we wanted to enjoy some Champagne for the DW's Birthday & Sail Away. So on Day 1 a little before Sail Away I went to Olive or Twist (Deck 14 formerly Viking Lounge) to have them place the bottle on ice and was told that there was a $20 cork fee. I requested the bartender to verify this and he called the "Bar Manager" who confirmed the charge. I told him no thanks. We enjoyed the Sail Away, the Birthday party and the Champagne in my buddies GS.

Probably because of the location. All talk of corkage fees I've always seen was within the MDR and there definitely is no corkage fee in the MDR.

Probably because of the location. All talk of corkage fees I've always seen was within the MDR and there definitely is no corkage fee in the MDR.

Well to be fair, I did mention to the bartender that we there was no cork fee in the MDR, once again, he told me there was. I questioned him very hard too as I've had Champagn placed on ice at the sky bar w/o any cork fee. But not so last week.

Just a heads up!

That is strange. I've never heard of anyone charging a cork fee on a bottle you bought from them.

That is strange. I've never heard of anyone charging a cork fee on a bottle you bought from them.

I should have been more clear... the bottle of Champagne is one that I brought on board. I was told there is no cork fee if I was in my state room.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Glad I looked at your post. I was about to give this same information. The RCI website still says "no corkage fee."

This is strange. I think you should report this. I've made a few calls recently about my reservation and both times the agent made a point of telling me that I can bring 2 bottles of wine and there are no cork fees.

Koohiichan

Glad I looked at your post. I was about to give this same information. The RCI website still says "no corkage fee."

I agree, but it also says this

"

Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. "

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

Edited by setsail

I would definitely contact Royal about this.

I know the policy changed October of 2014 and it does states there is no corkage fee. Some blogs further state that "Royal Caribbean has removed the $25 corkage fee for bringing wine onboard and drinking it in a cruise ship restaurant."

The other link above indicates "Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00"

This might be splitting hairs here but if I were to read both of this I would say that as long as you are in your cabin or a restaurant, then there is no fee, other public places shall be subject.....

But, let's look at reality. Royal has in the past had multiple pages around the world on their different websites contradict each other. They are not known for consistency.

Knowing me, if that happened to me, I would go to Guest Services and have them contact corporate while I am standing there.

This is strange. I think you should report this. I've made a few calls recently about my reservation and both times the agent made a point of telling me that I can bring 2 bottles of wine and there are no cork fees.

Koohiichan

There aren't. I think the OP had a problem is because he wanted it opened in a bar

I agree, but it also says this

"

Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. "

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

That is strange. When I go to the Royal site and search corkage here is the first response that comes up

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5442

Q: Does Royal Caribbean charge a corkage fee?

image:

A:

No. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption.

Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops during the cruise vacation will be stored onboard and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

While there is no corkage fee charged in the dining room or your stateroom, you can not expect to bring a bottle to a bar and ask them to serve it to you! They are in the business of serving drinks for money...I can bet if you were to bring your bottle to a public area in your own bucket of ice and bring your own glass you wouldn't be bothered. In fact I have done this several times.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

While there is no corkage fee charged in the dining room or your stateroom, you can not expect to bring a bottle to a bar and ask them to serve it to you! They are in the business of serving drinks for money...I can bet if you were to bring your bottle to a public area in your own bucket of ice and bring your own glass you wouldn't be bothered. In fact I have done this several times.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I agree. But all I requested was them to place it on ice. We were to return for sail away and pop the cork ourselves. We did not ask for them to serve etc. just ice it down. But it all worked out just fine as we enjoyed the balcony of a GS and all was good!

I am not sure if I understand the difference between the MDR and a bar in regards to a corkage fee. They are both revenue producing venues and should be treated similarly. On our last two cruises (Adventure in March and Grandeur in August) we brought wine (multiple bottles because of multiple cabins) and there was no corkage fee. Granted, it was in the MDR but I don't think that they should be splitting hairs!