Tiles, Medallions

bushy tail

... I could be wrong but I thought tin was an element and not an alloy ... :confused:

In this case I think tin means cheap or spurious.

I am surprised that cruisers get excited about the pins and medals, I find them embarrassing, just a meaningless geegaw given to a repeat customer.

... I could be wrong but I thought tin was an element and not an alloy ... :confused:

It is. Sn Atomic number 50. There should be tin in the bronze medallion, but it would be really hard to separate it.

Also, I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

Edited by POA1

In this case I think tin means cheap or spurious.

I am surprised that cruisers get excited about the pins and medals, I find them embarrassing, just a meaningless geegaw given to a repeat customer.

Agreed. The plan was to stop the medallions (which at the time were the ONLY recognition program) when they switched to the 1-4 (at the time, now 1-5) star mariner program with various amenities, discounts, etc.

A few people pitched a fit about the things and as a result you have this dual program with different combinations of days (the original medallion day levels and the star mariner program levels)

For anyone confused, it's only because HAL caved so people could have something they would never consider wearing outside of the onboard environment (whereas at least some people out there are probably wearing the pins on a coat or other article of clothing)

... Did you think that I did not know that? ;)

Hey.... I had to write SOMETHING this morning!

PS: At least you are awake this morning.;-)

... sorry if my attempt at humor missed you ... but judging by the other posts, you have lots of company ... not everyone is fully awake this morning!!!

... sorry if my attempt at humor missed you ... but judging by the other posts, you have lots of company ... not everyone is fully awake this morning!!!

I think attempt is the magic word here. I wouldn't blame it on not being awake.

Edited by cruz chic

I think attempt is the magic word here. I wouldn't blame it on not being awake.

... really no magic in the word "attempt", but if you need an explanation, please don't hesitate to ask, as I'm fairly certain there are plenty of CCers who would be happy to help you understand ...

Edited by avian777

Since I have 81 days, I will hit 100 on my upcoming voyage of 35 days (FLL-Buenos Aires, I do not have time to do the whole South America at once) on the Prinsendam. What should I expect will happen?

Edited by Wehwalt

You should expect to receive your 100 day Medallion at a Reception (by invitation) just before the Mariners Brunch. Sometimes if there are many people getting Copper, they leave them in the cabins and do not present them at the Reception. If you get them at the Reception, you likely will have a photo with you, the Captain and Hotel Manager.

Congratulations. :)

The Star Mariners Program is different in that, (with some exceptions), you do not get the benefits attached to your new Star Level until the cruise following the one during which you achieved the required number of days.

Edited by sail7seas

I just came off the Noordam last month in Sydney. I had 105 days before the cruise began. I was told that there were over 100 passengers receiving their copper medallion that voyage. When I received the invitation for the luncheon and no invite for the pre medallion ceremony I thought I might get it in my cabin that night during the turn down. When that didn't happen I went to the front desk and inquired about it. I was told I would receive a call and a copy of my voyage history, I had a photo on my iPad from the website so I knew I had the proof. I disembarked the next day with no medallion or phone call. Disappointed!!!

Edited by TransOceanCruiser

Since I have 81 days, I will hit 100 on my upcoming voyage of 35 days (FLL-Buenos Aires, I do not have time to do the whole South America at once) on the Prinsendam. What should I expect will happen?

you should definitely get your copper medallion on board :)

Prinsendam normally does it very well - enjoy :)

I just came off the Noordam last month in Sydney. I had 105 days before the cruise began. I was told that there were over 100 passengers receiving their copper medallion that voyage. When I received the invitation for the luncheon and no invite for the pre medallion ceremony I thought I might get it in my cabin that night during the turn down. When that didn't happen I went to the front desk and inquired about it. I was told I would receive a call and a copy of my voyage history, I had a photo on my iPad from the website so I knew I had the proof. I disembarked the next day with no medallion or phone call. Disappointed!!!

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. It should not have.

Please call Mariners Society. They will mail your Medallion.

1-800-547-9139

All the ships I've been on (14 of 15 --- two of which just left the fleet), they did a nice job with the Mariners Parties/Receptions. IMO, all the ships do it well though there seems to be a slip up now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

I came off the Zuiderdam Nov 9 and finally received my 100 day medallion, however it was not without alot of effort and questions on my part. I had made the 100 days in 2013 on a 21 day Panama Canal Cruise. In 2014 I took a 4 day Pacific Coastal Cruise and didn't expect to receive my medallion on that short cruise. After we boarded in Athens I went to the front desk to check when the presentations might be made. They said they would have to check with the Mariner's Society. I went back the following day and they said that Seattle said that I had received the medallion. I went back a few days later and was told there was a presentation tomorrow at 1100 and I was assured I would be on the list. I went to the reception and my name was not called. Again, I went back to the front desk and talked to Michael, he could tell by comments on the computer that I indeed been having issues, he assured me that he would get a resolution. Indeed, he did. The following morning he called and asked if I would be available at 1100 for a special presentation in the Atrium. He had arranged for Captain Christopher Turner and Hotel Director Frank Ulbricht and a photographer to present me with my medallion. I was truly impressed by Michael Bueno and the depth he went to assure customer satisfaction. I have my medallion and a great story to go with it.

When we were on the Oosterdam (about 2 years ago) we received our Silver Medallions. A few days later they had an onboard auction (with proceeds going to charity) where passengers could donate items. We tried to donate those Silver Medallions (otherwise they get tossed in a drawer with tons of other pins, medallions, etc...to never see the light of day). But HAL had a rule that you cannot donate medallions to the auction (we suspect they would have quite a few if it was allowed).

Hank

P.S. They are still for sale if somebody really wants that piece of tin.

We did not receive our medallions during a cruise, I e-mailed the Mariner Society to enquire if Medallions were still being presented, they sent back a polite message, and sent the Medallions and pins by airmail, also included two HAL fridge magnets in the parcel.

I came off the Zuiderdam Nov 9 and finally received my 100 day medallion, however it was not without alot of effort and questions on my part. I had made the 100 days in 2013 on a 21 day Panama Canal Cruise. In 2014 I took a 4 day Pacific Coastal Cruise and didn't expect to receive my medallion on that short cruise. After we boarded in Athens I went to the front desk to check when the presentations might be made. They said they would have to check with the Mariner's Society. I went back the following day and they said that Seattle said that I had received the medallion. I went back a few days later and was told there was a presentation tomorrow at 1100 and I was assured I would be on the list. I went to the reception and my name was not called. Again, I went back to the front desk and talked to Michael, he could tell by comments on the computer that I indeed been having issues, he assured me that he would get a resolution. Indeed, he did. The following morning he called and asked if I would be available at 1100 for a special presentation in the Atrium. He had arranged for Captain Christopher Turner and Hotel Director Frank Ulbricht and a photographer to present me with my medallion. I was truly impressed by Michael Bueno and the depth he went to assure customer satisfaction. I have my medallion and a great story to go with it.

We did not receive our medallions during a cruise, I e-mailed the Mariner Society to enquire if Medallions were still being presented, they sent back a polite message, and sent the Medallions and pins by airmail, also included two HAL fridge magnets in the parcel.

Sorry you both had difficulties getting your Medallions but happy in the end it worked out nicely. Sounds like they did their best to make up for the initial disappointment. :)

There is a rub.

If you get to the levels of medallions... when getting to copper, silver and then gold and platinum.... YOU should be attending every reception. If we don't bother... it takes away from everyone who is coming new to the reception. Otherwise why bother. There is OUR responsibility to attend.

Last year on our Australian Circumnavigation Cruise, we were not invited to any of the medal ceremonies, just to the Mariners lunch. There were 3 medals ceremonies that we were aware of during the 34 day cruise.

We had been invited to the medal ceremony during our Volendam cruise the previous year.

We were invited to the medal ceremony on board the Noordam 0ctober 31st, where 6 Bronze medals were presented. The passengers sitting next to us received their medals, they and another couple receiving the medals had over 200 days.

Were surprised that they had so many days before being presented with the medals.

Last year on our Australian Circumnavigation Cruise, we were not invited to any of the medal ceremonies, just to the Mariners lunch. There were 3 medals ceremonies that we were aware of during the 34 day cruise.

We had been invited to the medal ceremony during our Volendam cruise the previous year.

We were invited to the medal ceremony on board the Noordam 0ctober 31st, where 6 Bronze medals were presented. The passengers sitting next to us received their medals, they and another couple receiving the medals had over 200 days.

Were surprised that they had so many days before being presented with the medals.

Was spending days included in the 200? They don't seem to differentiate between spending and actual sailing days when they present. I realize the medal are only for days sailed.

When we were on the Oosterdam (about 2 years ago) we received our Silver Medallions. A few days later they had an onboard auction (with proceeds going to charity) where passengers could donate items. We tried to donate those Silver Medallions (otherwise they get tossed in a drawer with tons of other pins, medallions, etc...to never see the light of day). But HAL had a rule that you cannot donate medallions to the auction (we suspect they would have quite a few if it was allowed).

Hank

P.S. They are still for sale if somebody really wants that piece of tin.

If you really don't care about it and it's just a piece of tin to you, why not just give it away who may have lost theirs and would like a replacement. Just Saying. ;)

Excellent! Although it really shouldn't have come to that...

You certainly have a great story to tell.

Glad you finally got your 100 day medallion.

Congratulations.