Land & Sea - LIVE from Spain as we sail & compare HAL to Oceania

kazu

I personally believe that the body needs a certain amount of frequent exposure to things in order to keep the immune system functioning optimally.

Remember that old saying---"Ya gotta eat a pound of dirt before you die." :D

Edited by RuthC

Chuckle, chuckle - thanks for the smiles RuthC and cruisemom. From the slow boat to Nassau. We are going at a snail's pace since we have to spend two days to get to Nassau which takes one day. LOL.

Well, I think enough have you been on a Noro ship on HAL. I observed a few things that caused me concern on the Riviera.

I put on my flame retardant suit and have posted my observations on my live thread on the O board if any of you are interested.

Someone -- I don't know who -- on your other thread -- jumped on me yesterday morning when I quoted him/her and talked about the Noro.

Someone contacted a host and both our posts were removed. It basically was the same as you mentioned on the topic of Noro this morning.

I have been enjoying your review and seeing all the pictures but am now keeping quiet.

So, I wonder what is the best way to handle an outbreak? If it's really a Noro-type virus, presumably sanitizing does no good, but if it's e.coli - a bacterium - sanitizing would help? For an upper respiratory infection, probably nothing helps as the germs are airborne.

I've been visiting the hospital a lot recently, hand sanitizers are everywhere, and now they have broken out the face masks for anyone who hasn't had their flu shots. I would use the hand sanitizers 3 or 4 times per visit, and when I would get home, give my hands and arms a good scrub.

Oh shoot, I missed the whole thing! So I guess photos were removed too :eek:. Oh well my head was in no shape to be on the computer but I did read your post on noro precautions and knew that you were comparing your current experience to HAL. Perhaps my reply will be removed too but I won't ever know. I said that IMHO, and from my background working in H&S that you were bang on.

so sorry you are missing Bermuda.

No photos were removed 1of4. Just a post and some responses. Photos remain in place ;)

Just wondering, you haven't posted to the Future Cruise List. Does Oceania have a future cruise person on board?

Roy

LOL - are you asking me if I booked another O cruise?

Yes, O does have Future Cruise Consultants or as they call them here Oceania Ambassadors. There are two.

No cruise booked on board.

But in all honesty I never booked on board HAL either - just get a Future Cruise Deposit. I don't think O has such an animal, but I haven't checked yet ;)

Hello Kazu/Jacquie, first, sorry that the Noro has curtailed some aspects of the cruise (Bermuda, etc.). I have read your thread, on the O board, with interest, as well have enjoyed your description of the various restaurants and the food quality (one case, if I recall correctly, was uneven--was that Red Ginger?).

Some of the restaurants that you have attended have been at extra cost, I imagine, while others (Grand Dining room) are included in the cruise.

Some time ago Ruth C did a compare of HAL vs. Oceania, and I would be most interested in your overall take considering overall cost, accommodation, dining, tours, amenities, and general "value for money". I have looked at other cruise lines, even though as a 4 star Mariner on HAL, I do enjoy some of the accompanying perqs (discount on Admiral wine, included laundry even if we book other than a Neptune, etc), and so far we have not made the leap to another line.

We all know of the "changes" (i.e.: cutbacks) on HAL, such as food quality. Last cruise there were nights when we struggled to find something interesting on the dinner menu, and that was discordant with past experiences. So my wife and I may be willing to try another line. Before we make that leap, however, we want to ensure that it is worth it--is it really better elsewhere, even if there is a higher price to be paid?

For example, given the higher prices on O, including for cocktails (which I thought you said was the case?), all the seeming extra costs for the dinners in various entities (on HAL we would eat perhaps twice a cruise in Pinnacle or, if on a ship with it, once there and once in Tamarind so are paying extra for that too, yet at our 50% discount), what say you about the "price vs. value" quotient?

Once you get back home, and shovel out any snow (none yet here in Toronto, just rather cold and bleak today after a pretty darn nice November!), I would appreciate any thoughts along the lines of, "was it worth it?" and "would I do it again?". To be sure, as Oscar Wilde reportedly said (if I have this right): "a cynic is someone who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing". So, O may be more expensive than a HAL Neptune suite--that is fine, yet adding in all extra costs, subjectively to you and your hubby, was it worth it?

Many thanks; I hope you enjoy your remaining sea days and also have a safe trip home.

For example, given the higher prices on O, including for cocktails (which I thought you said was the case?), all the seeming extra costs for the dinners in various entities (on HAL we would eat perhaps twice a cruise in Pinnacle or, if on a ship with it, once there and once in Tamarind so are paying extra for that too, yet at our 50% discount), ....

Just want to clarify this for you, before Jacqui can get back---

There is no extra charge for the specialty restaurants, such as Red Ginger, Polo, Toscana, and Jacques. You are allowed a number of reservations, determined by your cabin category. You can go more often, if there is space available.

There are also some extra charge dinners, such as Privée (the private restaurant for up to 10 people; it uses both Toscana & Polo menus), and the special dinner Jacqui went to (can't remember the name).

You are correct that cocktails cost more than on HAL; the Hotel Service Charge is higher, too.

Hello Kazu/Jacquie, first, sorry that the Noro has curtailed some aspects of the cruise (Bermuda, etc.). I have read your thread, on the O board, with interest, as well have enjoyed your description of the various restaurants and the food quality (one case, if I recall correctly, was uneven--was that Red Ginger?).

Some of the restaurants that you have attended have been at extra cost, I imagine, while others (Grand Dining room) are included in the cruise.

I know you are wanting Kazu's opinion but I will just add my 2 cents

Oceania specialty restaurants are included with the exception of Privee (which is just a private dining room) & La Reserve (not sure HAL has an equivalent) it is a wine pairing dinner of 7 courses .

We have only done a couple of HAL cruises but I found Oceania just a different vibe which for us is of value ..it is not just about $$ for us

Airfare is included in the prices you see but you can get cruise only fares

No charge for non alcoholic beverages

They have beverages packages for those that enjoy a drink or 6

If you are just comparing $ to $ then Oceania will not work out

You may want to just try one of the shorter cruises & decide for yourself

Everyone has different needs/wants to make the cruise great for them

If you shop around you can find a TA that includes the gratuities & maybe an OBC that will help with the bottom line

JMO

Lyn

Sorry quote is not working. So this is in reply to your request for a comparison.

I will be doing a full comparison - stay tuned. It might have to be in parts.

I need to be of very objective mind when I do it and want to make sure I haven't forgotten any key points nor do I want the lack of Bermuda and the plentitude of illness to colour my perception so I will probably wait until the end of the cruise (just two days) and complete it in FLL or at the airport.

I might start it sooner, but I don't want to make promises I can't keep.

IN some things O excels - in other areas they could take a few lessons from HAL believe it or not. There are a number of HAL cruisers on board for their first O cruise - some are totally enamoured and some are not completely in love. I will try to objectively reflect things as best possible.

Of course, this is going to be just my opinion and DH's.

My roll call knows I am doing this thread and they have been invited to chime in since everything is subjective.

RuthC has answered your questions about the specialty restaurants.

I would equivocate La Reserve to the Master Chef's Table on HAL (yes, HAL has the same idea ;)).

HAL has nothing like Privee which is basically a private room (very nice) for a small group. Cost is $250 and you can have up to 10 people so it cost $25 pp for 10 of you if you are so inclined.

Once is probably enough on a cruise for Privee. La Reserve could possibly be done twice if you like the menu options. Once on a 14 day cruise is plenty for me.

hope this helps a bit and stay tuned. And thanks RuthC and Lyn for helping out. I really appreciate it. Internet has been awful today. Of course it is awful most days on this ship, but this was worse than usual.

The information from all above (Ruth, LH, Kazu) is much appreciated--especially re the no-charge for the restaurants (of which fact I was not aware). I have done the Cellar Master's Dinner on HAL, so do have that as a point of reference (usually, that is very well done, too).

Kazu, as for other thoughts from you, (and thoughts from those in your roll call), of course, only after you are home and want to procrastinate on unpacking. No rush; please enjoy the remainder of what I hope has been a great holiday!

Thanks,

The information from all above (Ruth, LH, Kazu) is much appreciated--especially re the no-charge for the restaurants (of which fact I was not aware). I have done the Cellar Master's Dinner on HAL, so do have that as a point of reference (usually, that is very well done, too).

Kazu, as for other thoughts from you, (and thoughts from those in your roll call), of course, only after you are home and want to procrastinate on unpacking. No rush; please enjoy the remainder of what I hope has been a great holiday!

Thanks,

Cellar Master Dinner is nice, but the Master Chef's Table (I think that is the right word) is a tad nicer on HAL. there are only a few that are accommodated and it is always a good idea to sign up as soon as you board. HAL never advertises it (at least not that I have seen) which is mind boggling to me. They need a minimum # of people to attend (I think it is 10) and only do it on longer cruises (I think over 10 or 14 days? - not sure which it is).

No, no time yet. And today is our cabin crawl - so maybe tomorrow.

I am not exactly anxious to go other than to see it and the little sandwiches and things. Tea on Oceania is a very BAD word with me. I am NOT a happy camper when it comes to their tea.

All their is is Twinings and only two herbal teas that I don't like at all. No PG tips. The only place with a nice herbal tea is Red Ginger and they won't let anyone have any. I never thought I would need to bring my own tea on a premier cruise line.

It's a little thing but a big deal with me. Not impressed.

When it comes to tea. HAL wins for sure.

We are on the Prinsendam today and all they have decaf is Camel or Roobis.

We are on the Prinsendam today and all they have decaf is Camel or Roobis.

I lOVE Roobis. I'll take that any day :)

Hi from Nassau. Yes, we are on Land!!! With Carnival Fantasy and Disney Wonder just arrived and played "when you wish upon a star" on the horns.

I used to take a package or Roibois (sp?) from the Neptune Lounge to have a dinner in the MDR. That's what I was hoping to have here. I had some hibiscus tea for Spain and believe it or not all the hotels had it so I had a few packages for here but not enough.

Red Ginger has a great hibiscus tea but it is not available any where else and I have had no luck obtaining despite unturning a few stones ;)

How is the Prinsendam? Believe it or not, I have met several passengers who sail her and O and they LOVE the Prinsendam.

Edited by kazu

Before I forget - on O your bags have to be out the night before by 10:00 pm so earlier than on HAL.

they seem to be anxious to save money on luggage tags. I guess waste not want not.

We had to do a questionnaire (as you do with HAL) but also included in it was how many bags you would have.

My disembarkation instructions came today and they had the wrong number of bags and the wrong number of luggage tags.

Our first statement arrived this morning in our mail box. Not in an envelope - readily available to any nosy person that was interested.

What a grumbler Kazu is today, eh? LOL

Edited by kazu

What is the latest with the noro situation? And hoping you are being allowed off the ship in Nassau.

We don't know. Little communication on the Noro other than we were told the cases were coming down. How much down is anyone's guess.

And yes, we are IN Nassau and OFF the boat :) - oops, ship.

Comparing the Prisendam to the Riveria is an unfair comparison, imo.

The Prisendam is 38,100 tonnes, 674.2 ft long, 91.8 ft beam, 23.6 ft draft, has 9 passenger decks, 443 crew, 915 passengers, and passenger space ratio of 41.6.

The Riveria is 66,048 tonnes, 776.5 ft long, 105.3 ft beam, 24.2 ft draft, has 11 passenger decks, 800 crew, 1258 passengers, and a passenger space ratio of 51.6.

HAL's Volendam is actually fairly close in size to the Riveria. The Volendam is 61,214 tonnes, 781 ft long, 105.8 ft beam, 25.5 ft draft, has 10 passenger decks, 561 crew, 1850 passengers, and a passenger space ratio of 33.0.

Hehe.... Prisendam? I thought that one was generally only whispered :-)

And it is spelled differently...

Hehe.... Prisendam? I thought that one was generally only whispered :-)

And it is spelled differently...

A reminder of the Community Guidelines:

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

A reminder of the Community Guidelines:

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Was meant as a joke and not a criticism of anyone's spelling. I'm sure that those that are close with HAL crew knew why I chuckled.

With auto correct on phones and tablets and typing too fast I have many typos and spelling errors. I would be the last to criticize.

Was meant as a joke and not a criticism of anyone's spelling. I'm sure that those that are close with HAL crew knew why I chuckled.

With auto correct on phones and tablets and typing too fast I have many typos and spelling errors. I would be the last to criticize.

I agree - that had to be a Freudian slip!:D

I thought for sure you meant "Prisondam" which is where you go when you try to sneak liquor, surge protectors, and things that heat up (travel irons, steamers, oxy acetylene torches, flare guns, etc.) onto the ship.

Edited by POA1