Land & Sea - LIVE from Spain as we sail & compare HAL to Oceania

kazu

RuthC,

yes the burgers are very good (Black Angus beef folks) and the wait wasn't long :)

I have seen them helping one person with their food but I think that person did ask.

edited to say - there are a number of people that look like they could use help.

I see no difference in the demographic on HAL as on here to be honesty. And a lot of people seem to disappear very early in the evening here. Now, those were port days so now that we are at sea things might change. I'll let you know.

Edited by kazu

Thanks for doing this, Kazu. It's very nice of you to take time out of your vacation to share your thoughts and comparisons. We really appreciate it.

my pleasure :) It's not a hard thing to do when you are laying on a very comfy lounge chair (and they are VERY comfy) with the sun shining down on you and a lemonade in your hands. ;)

Appreciate you understanding if I can't post daily due to internet, etc. Just glad I have found it and can slowly get caught up!

I am muy, muy behind but doing my best to get there. :)

ha! ha! RuthC,

I went to Waves today for a hamburger and order the Texan one and requested it without bacon. I got a hamburger with bacon and no bun! I had to request it be fixed. LOL.

Do they still have a guy taking the order on passenger side of the counter??

Sometimes the cook seems to ignore any special requests like NO FRIES etc...

If it happens again speak to the restaurant manager they do want to know so they can fix any problems

Do they still have a guy taking the order on passenger side of the counter??

Sometimes the cook seems to ignore any special requests like NO FRIES etc...

If it happens again speak to the restaurant manager they do want to know so they can fix any problems

yes they do Lyn. He is the one who mucked it up. I guess he mistook bacon for bun ??? They don't sound alike to me, but he got it fixed pretty quickly ;)

yes they do Lyn. He is the one who mucked it up. I guess he mistook bacon for bun ??? They don't sound alike to me, but he got it fixed pretty quickly ;)

something lost in the translation I guess ;)

Have you been to Afternoon tea yet ??

Thank you Jacqui.

I am sure that this is a lot of extra work for you. It sure helps me. We will be on the Marina in August in the same type of cabin so I am really happy to read your comparisons.

I hope you enjoy your voyage and looking forward to reading more of your reports.

Terrri

my pleasure :) It's not a hard thing to do when you are laying on a very comfy lounge chair (and they are VERY comfy) with the sun shining down on you and a lemonade in your hands. ;)

Appreciate you understanding if I can't post daily due to internet, etc. Just glad I have found it and can slowly get caught up!

I am muy, muy behind but doing my best to get there. :)

Please don't apologise. If we can't appreciate updates whenever you can get internet or even have the time to do it then we are a sad lot. Love whatever you can post, when you can post it.

I am shocked

I am able bodied & they still will carry my plate to the table

otherwise JUST ASK

That explains why they can't help the disabled---too busy helping the able-bodied. :rolleyes:

I DO know enough to ask for assistance, but one shouldn't have to ask on a line that's noted for good service.

I found service on Oceania no better than on HAL, and in many instances worse.

That explains why they can't help the disabled---too busy helping the able-bodied. :rolleyes:

I DO know enough to ask for assistance, but one shouldn't have to ask on a line that's noted for good service.

Let me clear something up

I never ask for assistance & I do prefer to carry my own plate to the table but at the risk of a tug of war with the staff I just let them carry it

Sorry to hear they were not helpful to people that NEED help

We were on Eurodam Nov 1st & I can tell you the food was not as good as on Marina in May nor as good as the Eurodam last Nov

there is no perfect cruise line

I will not comment here again

At the conclusion I would very much be interested in your perspective on value. Oceania is at the top of our list to try.

Not price. We expect to pay more. Value not as compared to Prinsemdam because that is not the type of ship that we would select. More interested your assessment of the value proposition compared to that of the mass market lines-HAL, Celebrity, Princess, etc.

Price is important to us, but value often comes before price when we are looking at travel options. I realize that to a certain extent this comes down to personal preferences. Don't care if the ice cubes are round instead of square or if the muffins have more or fewer raisins in them.

Plus, based on your previous postings, I am confident that we will get the unbiased 'Consumers Report' of value

Edited by iancal

Whw4ff344fffl94lv4l44444wfwwwvwll4 l44444ww4wl w4w4w4ww44wsd4wwwwwwwww44ww4397u7NH y 5 [w9

Hmm, I must need to use my decoder ring to read the message in the above post.:D

Perhaps an iPhone autocorrect accident. :D

Sheila, did you take the iOS update?

My experience too Ruth (on HAL). I was using a cane on our last cruise so down to one hand and assistance was hit or miss and sometimes the passengers who thought they were booked on a private yacht sucked up the the Lido staff in their vicinity. But one handed I still never went hungry. :eek::)

The only time I was irritated was when staff would cut in line in front of me like I wasn't there or when Lido staff served the loudest person, not the next one in line.

Thanks Kazu for posting when you are able (and willing :)). DH and I are very interested in your comparisons. I was surprised when someone on the voyage prior commented there were 2 children onboard. I can't say we would be bringing 2 of 4....

Enjoy the crossing. Selfishly speaking, I hope the internet signal is available all the way across!

At the conclusion I would very much be interested in your perspective on value. Oceania is at the top of our list to try.

Not price. We expect to pay more. Value not as compared to Prinsemdam because that is not the type of ship that we would select. More interested your assessment of the value proposition compared to that of the mass market lines-HAL, Celebrity, Princess, etc.

Price is important to us, but value often comes before price when we are looking at travel options. I realize that to a certain extent this comes down to personal preferences. Don't care if the ice cubes are round instead of square or if the muffins have more or fewer raisins in them.

Plus, based on your previous postings, I am confident that we will get the unbiased 'Consumers Report' of value

That is how I am looking at it in reality Iancal. I mentioned P'dam because of the level of service that we have had on her. The Westerdam is a close second behind her.

There are some differences but believe it or not there are appear to be some things that HAL does better and others that O does better. There is no perfect line nor perfect cruise.

The value proposition is what we are all weighing. I just hope I don't get flamed one way or the other. LOL

something lost in the translation I guess ;)

Have you been to Afternoon tea yet ??

No, no time yet. And today is our cabin crawl - so maybe tomorrow.

I am not exactly anxious to go other than to see it and the little sandwiches and things. Tea on Oceania is a very BAD word with me. I am NOT a happy camper when it comes to their tea.

All their is is Twinings and only two herbal teas that I don't like at all. No PG tips. The only place with a nice herbal tea is Red Ginger and they won't let anyone have any. I never thought I would need to bring my own tea on a premier cruise line.

It's a little thing but a big deal with me. Not impressed.

When it comes to tea. HAL wins for sure.

All their is is Twinings and only two herbal teas that I don't like at all. No PG tips. The only place with a nice herbal tea is Red Ginger and they won't let anyone have any. I never thought I would need to bring my own tea on a premier cruise line.

It's a little thing but a big deal with me. Not impressed.

When it comes to tea. HAL wins for sure.

That is a shame I also like a good cuppa

O used to have Liptons plain tea but not sure if they still do or not

The Eurodam had Twinnings but no tea pots :(

tea bag in a cup doesn't do it for me

Different strokes

hope you find something you enjoy onboard

signing off here

enjoy the cruise

Lyn