If Celebrity ceased to exist ... what would you do?

cl.klink

We do like Celebrity very much. With Celebrity cruise prices going up. The last 2 or so years we have started to mix things up. The other year we did 3 cruises with Celebrity, but added a 2 week land trip to England. This year we did 3 cruises with Celebrity. One was 7 day cruise to the Caribbean instead of our norm 14 day cruise. We added going to Orlando. Next March we are doing a 7 day cruise again. They to Key West for 5 days. I have not been to Key West in just about 40 years. We are spending as much if not more money. We are just not giving as much to Celebrity. We have cruised on RCL, HAL, Princess and Azamara. We did like Azamara, but Azamara has had real problems the last couple of years. I'm thinking I might try Viking Cruises or Seabourn.

We'll be doing our first cruise with Celebrity in March, but have been tossing around the idea of sailing with Azamara in 2017. Does Azamara also honor RC Crown and Anchor status?

We did a Mediterranean cruise this past May on Vision of the Seas and was I surprised to see my X past cruises were honored by them although these was only my second time on RCCL. We had Platinum status and got to go to a "Signature" event for premium cruisers.

Sue

Have been following a" live from".....on Princess bds...photos show many fun activities we used to enjoy on X.....and not all bar centered...but there are also issues of noise, loud music, noted .

Giving Princess a try in 2017.

We like Celebrity but as you can see in my signature we have sailed on many different cruise lines. We choose our trips based on destination, not cruise line. There are a couple of cruise lines we would not go back to and a couple that we would never try. As far as I can see, there are many good cruise products out there to choose from. I have seen a trend in our booking with a preference leaning toward smaller ships. :D

It's hard to read these boards and not get a "the sky is falling" feel -- so much that so many do not like about "changes" in what Celebrity is now vs. once was vs. what it could be. Don't mean to criticize, but it's getting me down.

So, let me take a stab at looking at this in a more hopeful way -- something to look forward to.

What if rather than "fix" what is disliked about Celebrity, what if it did not exist. What line would you sail, then, and why? What's the "good alternative" here?

Looking for something to feel good about,

- Joel

I am for putting a sail on my Conestoga wagon and start seeing the land for which my ancestors built since 1776!

Never had a bad cruise anytime anywhere, we do price point shop our cruises,based on price,time itinerary etc... and have cruised a few.Princess seems closest to Celebrity.. Yet Celebrity seems to be our fave, Norwegian have upscaled a lot recently and have some great new ships.

Answer we just love to cruise

If X ceased to exist, I would simply shop around for another cruise line. I would probably start with RC, since that was our first cruise line (and we're D+ in their loyalty program) But, I have zero interest in all-inclusive resorts, or river cruises -- and we already travel anywhere on land that we wish to see. I saw my philosophy best summed up in another poster's (sorry, can't remember whose) signature line: "I cruise, because that's where the ocean is." :cool:

I am also not tied to any one cruise line, but shop for itinerary and price. Might be hard to believe but with the free drink package, Celebrity has been our least expensive choice by far for the past two years. Our first cruise a year ago was very good so we're headed out again next week.

My most expensive cruise was Disney and it was worth every penny the ONE TIME. I had two small children and it was just before Christmas, nicely decorated, they were the perfect ages, and the best (basic) stateroom I've ever had.

My second most expensive was with NCL cruising the Hawaiian Islands, never again on NCL.

I think Princess is the most like Celebrity; in fact, the itinerary we are taking next week is the same I did on Princess about a decade ago and I'm looking forward to seeing those islands again (Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia). Princess was the only time I've had a balcony and wish I could afford it for every cruise :D

It's hard to read these boards and not get a "the sky is falling" feel -- so much that so many do not like about "changes" in what Celebrity is now vs. once was vs. what it could be. Don't mean to criticize, but it's getting me down.

So, let me take a stab at looking at this in a more hopeful way -- something to look forward to.

What if rather than "fix" what is disliked about Celebrity, what if it did not exist. What line would you sail, then, and why? What's the "good alternative" here?

Looking for something to feel good about,

- Joel

WE would look to Royal Caribbean, Princess, HAL and maybe others. Alternatively, maybe the Minnow 3 hour tour.

We would try Oceania and Azamara. We would also try river cruising but we're going to do that anyway. I don't think Celebrity is going away any time soon.

I agree that X is going to continue. I'm glad too. But if there is a perception on a critic's part that it's drifting away from what is wanted, what cruise line offers "the" product one wanted X to have been? In other words, rather than criticize what X is doing wrong, what cruise line would an erstwhile X critic say is a cruise line that does it right (and, therefore, I should consider)?

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having not tried any of the three mentioned above, I can't really advise you. However, we did sail 3 times with Princess and enjoyed all the cruises. In fact, Princess was our first cruise and that's where the addiction began. We would not be adverse to trying them again either. They have an awesome itinerary from Vancouver to Hawaii and back. No air travel for us. Considering the nightmare we had Tues and yesterday trying to get home from Miami, that would definitely be a bonus for us.

If X ceased to exist what would we do? The same thing we did before there was even a Celebrity (we have been cruising for over forty years). There are plenty of other cruise lines, and even new lines (such as Viking Cruise Lines). In the past year we have cruised on HAL, Princess and X...and have previously been on 11 other lines.

To be real blunt, we have never understood the folks that get hooked on one cruise line, one vacation spot, one restaurant, etc. Life is too short, it is a very big world, there is much to do, see, experience, eat, etc. One of the most "profound" comments we have heard from a cruiser was a lady who told us how much she loved HAL and would not cruise other lines. Then, within minutes she also mentioned she had grown bored of cruising and was planning to do some other things. When we suggested that she might be less bored if she tried a few other cruise lines...she had no comment.

Hank

If X ceased to exist what would we do? The same thing we did before there was even a Celebrity (we have been cruising for over forty years). There are plenty of other cruise lines, and even new lines (such as Viking Cruise Lines). In the past year we have cruised on HAL, Princess and X...and have previously been on 11 other lines.

To be real blunt, we have never understood the folks that get hooked on one cruise line, one vacation spot, one restaurant, etc. Life is too short, it is a very big world, there is much to do, see, experience, eat, etc. One of the most "profound" comments we have heard from a cruiser was a lady who told us how much she loved HAL and would not cruise other lines. Then, within minutes she also mentioned she had grown bored of cruising and was planning to do some other things. When we suggested that she might be less bored if she tried a few other cruise lines...she had no comment.

Hank

right, so I've liked Celebrity and I would like to see what else I would like. What I'm trying to think about is what line I should try. I sailed HAL and it was OK but I liked Celebrity better. So, I'd like to try something I'd like better than Celebrity. It's an expensive "trial and error" approach so Want to make the most of it.

- joel

right, so I've liked Celebrity and I would like to see what else I would like. What I'm trying to think about is what line I should try. I sailed HAL and it was OK but I liked Celebrity better. So, I'd like to try something I'd like better than Celebrity. It's an expensive "trial and error" approach so Want to make the most of it.

- joel

What is it you like about Celebrity and/or what did you not like as much on HAL? Answering questions like that will help identify what other lines you might enjoy.