What's next - how about upgraded aqua class

ghstudio

Now that Celebrity has focused all their attention to suites while changing not much of anything in a positive way for those not in suites, maybe it's time for them to focus on aqua class....to better justify (or even increase) the premium charged over concierge class. We've seen many cruises where aqua class is offered for C2 prices or just $50 more. With a few changes, there might be real justification for folks to want to upgrade to aqua class.

I'd suggest:

1) Open Blu for lunch (for both aqua and suite customers when Luminae isn't open.

2) increasing the quality of food served in Blu

3) changing the menu more often (which essentially hasn't changed in years)

4) return to "modern luxury"....flowers in the room, the fruit basket

5) add an included free option to upgrade to the premium drink package in good better best.

What do you think might increase the value proposition for someone to book an aqua class cabin?

Edited by ghstudio

Now that Celebrity has focused all their attention to suites while changing not much of anything in a positive way for those not in suites, maybe it's time for them to focus on aqua class....to better justify (or even increase) the premium charged over concierge class. We've seen many cruises where aqua class is offered for C2 prices or just $50 more. With a few changes, there might be real justification for folks to want to upgrade to aqua class.

I'd suggest:

1) Open Blu for lunch (for both aqua and suite customers when Luminae isn't open.

5) add an included free option to upgrade to the premium drink package in good better best.

What do you think might increase the value proposition for someone to book an aqua class cabin?

As much as I agree with your sentiment, the focus on suites I believe will continue until the new ships come out. Believe the suites will be somewhat isolated from the rest of the ship physically, maybe having their own pool area. Also think that would be a big mistake.

Edited by dkjretired

I'd suggest:

Adding these perks, I'd assume cabin fare increase would be along the lines of:

• 1) $15 pp pd for lunch
  • 2) $10 PP pd for enhanced food quality
  • 3) They don't change menus more often anyplace else, so don't see this happening
  • 4) $15 per cruise
  • 5) $11.80 pp pd

So total cabin fare increase would be $355.20 on a 7 day cruise.

Suite prices increased commensurately when suite perks rolled out, enhanced Aqua would most certainly also experience a price increase.

we'd like to see a few new choices to the menus for dinner or surprise specials

Maybe AQ and suites could share BLU for breakfast and lunch , and then limit BLU to AQ guests for dinner , as suite guests now have luminae...

We are happy AQ cruisers so not sure how suite guests would like that but seems a good use of resources...as Luminae seems to be still working am, brunch and lunch out...

AQ should get the softer, unripped towels back, as originally advertised...they were a nice perk...the present towels are ready to donate to the local pet shelter ...

The herbal teas seem unpopular...maybe rework those?

Nothing else really needed...if you want fruit you can order it...and we buy some flowers for the cabin...

Would like to hear feedback from Celebrity Official on some of the ideas in this thread..

I'd suggest:

1) Lunch in Luminae on our recent cruise was served from 12-1. We only went once. Unless Blu had longer hours for lunch this wouldn't be a reason for us to book AQ.

2) IMHO food is better in Blu than MDR and not as good as Luminae, as it should be for the premium for suites.

3) some changes to the menu would be welcomed.

4) nice but not a factor in our decision.

5) this could be an incentive😊. To upgrade on our next cruise will cost $424 for the 2 of us- would take the beverage package over the OBC.

I think changing the Menu and increasing the staff in Blu would go along way. We have 5 cruises booked -2 in AQ but if Blu still has the staff running like fools & sommeliers hard to flag down because of understaffing they will be out last in AQ.

I'd suggest:

On our next cruise A2s are currently running for less than C1 or C2s. I would have thought this would have been the time to upgrade, yet there seems no movement and Aqua continues to remain cheaper than Concierge. Same with our following cruise, Aqua same price as Concierge. Wonder if X will do some serious thinking if this appears to be a trend, as per you stated in your post. Considering all the changes currently taking place throughout the line, perhaps you are correct, Aqua will be the next section on the 'revamping' schedule. If they have all those extra perks compared to Concierge and they are still selling for lower prices with greater overheads, then perhaps the new regime will want to address the situation.

There maybe changes ahead - wonder if they'll be as controversial as the dress code or Michael's opening to SS :confused:?

How about some "out of the box" thinking.

change all the A2's on M-class ships to C3's and change the A1's on deck 11 to C1's. Then change Blu to another specialty dining area. Financially this makes sense for Celebrity but it further crowds the MDR.

Similarly, on the S-class ships, make all the aqua cabins C2's and create that new specialty restaurant.

Not sure I like either of these thoughts, but since Celebrity is looking in every cranny for $'s, it probably would be a good financial move.

That, of course, brings us to the question of why would anyone book a concierge class (C2/C3) cabin over a regular verandah other than more points and $28 bottle of sparkling wine. Again, some meaningful differentiation is needed...since much of the differentiation has disappeared...flowers, better sheets and towels, and so on.

Edited by ghstudio

change all the A2's on M-class ships to C3's and change the A1's on deck 11 to C1's. Then change Blu to another specialty dining area. Financially this makes sense for Celebrity but it further crowds the MDR.

Similarly, on the S-class ships, make all the aqua cabins C2's and create that new specialty restaurant.

Not sure I like either of these thoughts, but since Celebrity is looking in every cranny for $'s, it probably would be a good financial move.

Do you know, I was thinking exactly the same thing regarding changing Blu to another specialty restaurant. If they are losing money having to sell the Aqua cabins consistently at a reduced rate, then they could possibly change those cabins to Concierge (various levels dependent on location); move those guests into select dining in the MDR (which most of us believe will be the only option in the MDR shortly and will ensure a quicker turnaround time per cover) and charge extra for eating in the new specialty restaurant and for using the spa facilities (as was once the case). The staff are already in the kitchen, restaurant etc., so there would be no extra personnel required to open as a specialty - just a name and menu change. Additionally, it would be located next to the other specialty restaurants on the S class ships - similar to an upscale 'chic' food district :cool:. It probably would be a good financial move (not actually having seen the accounts for that department, I can only surmise this would be the case :D).

They could slightly appease the Concierge situation by offering to revamp their amenities, basically reinstate those perks that appear to have disappeared over the years. Provide new bedding, towels, perhaps a free day pass to the Spa (to entice for future bookings), better bottle of plonk, discount at the new specialty restaurant etc. It would also fall in line with what some CC posters believe is in the not too distant future: having the 2 tier system - 1. for suites (especially since SS are now invited to use Michael's Club) 2. for all other remaining guests.

Who knows, but definite food for thought ;).

Edited by villauk

That, of course, brings us to the question of why would anyone book a concierge class (C2/C3) cabin over a regular verandah other than more points and $28 bottle of sparkling wine. Again, some meaningful differentiation is needed...since much of the differentiation has disappeared...flowers, better sheets and towels, and so on.

That would absolutely be the end of our sailing on Celebrity! :(

Whether the food is actually better in Blu or not isn't as important to us as the noise level and tumult in the MDR.

We book Aqua (and we usually sail in winter and have NEVER found Aqua prices to be less than Concierge!) for the quieter dining room.

Eliminate that and you eliminate us. We can't be the only ones.

I like AQ pretty much the way it is. We enjoy dinning in Blu because of the anytime seating and the atmosphere. The food is good as well, along with the service, but I'm sure the food and service in the MDR is fine as well. Fresh flowers in the rooms would be a nice touch, and shouldn't cost much if added to the price. Of course anything can always be better for a price, but I would hate for Celebrity to improve the AQ's too much and then price me out of them.

Hope this idea never comes to pass!

After many years of MDR dining, we switched immediately to AQ/ BLU once it was introduced. We have been very happy there on several cruises per year, ...away from the din of the mdr, shared MDR tables sometimes with folks who do not come on time, dress as they please, and very long drawn out meal service!

AQ class offers perks besides BLU relating to in cabin amenities, fewer passengers on the corridors, mostly adults, Persian Garden, Relaxation Room....it's as close to a total spa experience as we can get on X.

X spent alot of $ introducing AQ with Blu to M class, it is one of its big successes in past years, setting it apart from the herd type ships, and there is no real need for another specialty restaurant in that space.

Sorry, but we hope this idea "stays WAY inside the box"!

Edited by hcat

Hope this idea never comes to pass!

After many years of MDR dining, we switched immediately to AQ/ BLU once it was introduced. We have been very happy there on several cruises per year, ...away from the din of the mdr, shared MDR tables sometimes with folks who do not come on time, dress as they please, and very long drawn out meal service!

AQ class offers perks besides BLU relating to in cabin amenities, fewer passengers on the corridors, mostly adults, Persian Garden, Relaxation Room....it's as close to a total spa experience as we can get on X.

X spent alot of $ introducing AQ with Blu to M class, it is one of its big successes in past years, setting it apart from the herd type ships, and there is no real need for another specialty restaurant in that space.

Sorry, but we hope this idea "stays WAY inside the box"!

The only perk we have cared about in Aqua, is Blu. I agree that the ambiance of the room itself, smaller and quieter, has been a big draw for us. However, I do not think the food is in any way as good as it once was, and if it does not improve, we will not be paying for aqua anymore.

The only perk we have cared about in Aqua, is Blu. I agree that the ambiance of the room itself, smaller and quieter, has been a big draw for us. However, I do not think the food is in any way as good as it once was, and if it does not improve, we will not be paying for aqua anymore.

Same with us. Blu is the only reason we book Aqua. Just curious, if you wouldn't book Aqua would you stay with Celebrity or look elsewhere?

We book Aqua (and we usually sail in winter and have NEVER found Aqua prices to be less than Concierge!).

I've just chosen at random 4 western Caribbean cruises on Silhouette and looked at the current pricing to check if it was just on M class ships where Aqua is the same or lower priced than Concierge. From 21st Feb 2016 for 4 consecutive weeks (which I'd say is winter time), every single sailing is showing A2 cabins either exactly the same, or slightly less, than C3 cabins ;).

That would absolutely be the end of our sailing on Celebrity! :(

Whether the food is actually better in Blu or not isn't as important to us as the noise level and tumult in the MDR.

We book Aqua (and we usually sail in winter and have NEVER found Aqua prices to be less than Concierge!) for the quieter dining room.

Eliminate that and you eliminate us. We can't be the only ones.

We could live with a single major change, but the combination of several would at a minimum make us look elsewhere, probably Cunard and certainly the upper tier cruise lines. Friends just rave about Seabourne. Crystal and even Regent. Maybe we will be taking one regardless of what X does.

Have you priced out Crystal and Seabourne? Not even in the same universe.

We have always been happy with "regular" X and the MDR, are now even happier with Aqua and Blu. Until that changes we aren't going anywhere (and we are still avoiding the S class, we are M-only, seems most of the issues that would be problems for us {loud music}are on the S).

I don't really notice the "other" AQ perks, to us it's the same location (we always get afts), just with the addition of Blu.

I've just chosen at random 4 western Caribbean cruises on Silhouette and looked at the current pricing to check if it was just on M class ships where Aqua is the same or lower priced than Concierge. From 21st Feb 2016 for 4 consecutive weeks (which I'd say is winter time), every single sailing is showing A2 cabins either exactly the same, or slightly less, than C3 cabins ;).

I was about to do a similar thing, but since you have already done the research, I won't. A thought on Aqua- only two people per cabin. Is it possible that the reason the Concierge class cabins are the same or higher is because they can have more than two passengers. Add to that the folks who want to eat in the MDR, especially those who want set dining in order to eat with the same tablemates each night. No matter what the price is, Celebrity is probably not going to entice them into Aqua.

One of the things I love about Aqua cabins is that the hallways are very quiet-your rarely hear children running around or on balconies. I also am a fan of Blu. Have never had problems getting served or finding a wine steward in the evening. Service can be a little slow in the morning. I could certainly go for lunch being served in there on seas days, at a minimum.

Edited by Straughn

Got an upgrade from the included Classic package to Premium from my online TA for booking Aqua. ;)

We could live with a single major change, but the combination of several would at a minimum make us look elsewhere, probably Cunard and certainly the upper tier cruise lines. Friends just rave about Seabourne. Crystal and even Regent. Maybe we will be taking one regardless of what X does.

We've sailed Regent & did not like it. The service in the MDR was horrible. Food was mediocre. Plus you are limited to 2 speciality restaurants on a 7 night cruise. We ate at the buffet most of the time.

Only "advantage" was no formal night which one can achieve by booking Aqua or higher or sailing after 12/4 with the new celebrity dress code.

IMHO regent wasn't worth the money.

One plus of regent was the free self laundry, which enabled me to come home w/nothing but clean clothing :)

Edited by DZalumni

Location, location, location lol. Plus on our just ended Millie cruise the food in the MDR was the best ever & the 7 of us were more than happy:). Add more stuff to Aqua and maybe our CC cabins will stay a better price:)

Edited by Christine Frances