Does the situation in Europe affect your future travel?

norwegianwood57

Here's the starting post.

Originally Posted by norwegianwood57 viewpost.gif

When I asked this question before, I actually had a couple of people ask me what situation I was referring to. Unfortunately perhaps it is clearer now.

As many of you, we have a European itinerary booked in the future. We are very concerned.

And just like before , some will say, if you cancel, you are letting the enemy win.

Will some of you say something different?

Please limit your comments to responding to this question.

Thanks.

Yesterday I made this request which made it three times in total on this thread.

Clearly a few of you have chosen to ignore our guidelines and also my request. Another large batch of posts have been deleted as being off topic. This thread will remain open for now to discuss the question raised in the originating post. However it will be closed and members will lose their posting privileges if the discussion is taken off the original topic again..

If we were travelling to Europe as a family I wouldn't change my plans but my 16 year old daughter has a school trip there next April. Deep down I don't feel comfortable letting her go. I wouldn't stop her going either. The school is looking at a different itinerary which is a shame as they were going to some very special places in France and Belgium for their history studies. Now they might add in Poland instead which will still fit into their curriculum.

benjoon, the school will make the right decision and take them to places deemed to be safe and free from threats. Poland is a good choice though, a country to which we would like to go and high on our must-do list. Krakow and many towns in Poland are supposed to be very lovely according to multiple reports I have heard and read, and Poland has a very interesting history that could be valuable to your daughter's studies.

River cruises go to Poland. Does anyone know of any ocean cruises going to Poland?

Thanks for your patience in keeping this thread open, Host Walt. I agree with Kathy (TourDeCruise) that this is a timely and important topic -- affecting many of our cruise (and other) travel plans.

Yes, Host Walt, thanks for your patience on a valuable travel topic that many want to discuss.

wwcruisers, your wait-and-see approach is a good, reasonable approach to wait for the situation to normalize.

benjoon, the school will make the right decision and take them to places deemed to be safe and free from threats. Poland is a good choice though, a country to which we would like to go and high on our must-do list. Krakow and many towns in Poland are supposed to be very lovely according to multiple reports I have heard and read, and Poland has a very interesting history that could be valuable to your daughter's studies.

River cruises go to Poland. Does anyone know of any ocean cruises going to Poland?

Yes, Host Walt, thanks for your patience on a valuable travel topic that many want to discuss.

wwcruisers, your wait-and-see approach is a good, reasonable approach to wait for the situation to normalize.

There are actually a few cruises that go to Gdansk (Gdynia) next year. They would include several cruises on the new Viking Cruise Lines (the same folks that own the Viking River Cruises) and an Emerald Princess Cruise that embarks at Southampton on June 4. The Viking Sea does an interesting 29 day cruise (leaves May 22) that combines some Baltic and Norwegian ports (it goes north of the arctic circle) which is a great itinerary for those who like cruising to Norway (and the fjords)).

Hank

Thanks, Hank. We sailed with Viking for a river cruise, which we really enjoyed. I will look at the Viking and Emerald Princess itineraries you mentioned. Usually we only look at X & RCI itineraries. :o Dh corrected me that Krakow was on a Gate1 land tour we looked at, not a river cruise.

Yes, I also appreciate this thread being kept open. I am heard so many people voicing these concerns privately and to not have it discussed here on a cruise forum, makes it seem like the elephant in the room, so to speak.

I feel many of the sentiments of Tour DeCruise. We have been traveling to Europe every year since 2009. We have a Mediterranean cruise booked in May which includes France, Spain and Italy. I am very unsure about that trip. The area seems unstable. I would love to see the area and considered taking small group shore excursions, staying off all metros, staying in a European hotel, and the rest of the time on the boat. But I have a lot of stress at home and it would be even more stressful to watch for suicide bombers and lockdowns. In July, we want to go to Poland and Prague, followed by Norway in September. I think those destinations seems to be safe, but I am taking a wait and see approach. Most likely those will happen, although I may move it sooner. I love Europe for the history, culture and wealth of things to see and do as well as the kind and friendly people, but I have heard several predict rapid change on the continent and I feel an urgency to see it, but cannot ignore the lockdowns, etc which are appropriate yet scary. I acknowledge that there are frightening occurances here but I live here but vacation is a choice. Not sure where is safe any more.

I know that many have stated that they will carry on as normal to not let terrorists win, but I wonder if there is a way to outsmart them by eliminating their targets to steal their thunder, not publicize their life history so that they don't get the glory. If they do not get all this negative attention, but yet keep people informed, I wonder if that would make a dent.

What makes you think France, Spain and Italy are unstable ?

I can understand staying out of Paris if you're concerned but the rest of France as well as Spain and Italy aren't reporting any problems. As far as I'm aware, Spain and Italy aren't involved in the bombing of Syria which seems to be the main reason behind IS targeting Paris (as it's the capital city of France and so represents the French nation). The Russian airliner was probably brought down for a similar reason (bombing of Syria). It follows then that the most likely next target may be the US and not other elements of Europe.

It has been a good read for me..listening to all sides of the issue. I think there are those that travel a ton and are not shaken by recent events. There are those that financially can not travel as often..plan that one trip to Europe a year, or two or three and want it to be pretty perfect so hesitate when some lack of stability gets in the way. They would rather wait and do it a little more right or with a bit more confidence a year down the road. The reactions are not knee jerk. It is just very personal.

Any one can say any where in the world is not safe from terror attacks & that is true ;however the likely hood of a attack in Alaska or Australia is far less likely that a heavily populated city like NY ,Wash DC ,London ,Paris ,Rome ie .That is my point

What makes you think France, Spain and Italy are unstable ?

I can understand staying out of Paris if you're concerned but the rest of France as well as Spain and Italy aren't reporting any problems. As far as I'm aware, Spain and Italy aren't involved in the bombing of Syria which seems to be the main reason behind IS targeting Paris (as it's the capital city of France and so represents the French nation). The Russian airliner was probably brought down for a similar reason (bombing of Syria). It follows then that the most likely next target may be the US and not other elements of Europe.

Just in the same way that Southampton is not London, Le Havre is not Paris and neither is Villefranche, but there are quotes on this thread suggesting otherwise :confused:?

Reading some of the posts on here you'd think that the whole of Europe was in total lockdown. Europe covers a very large area, and I can definitely say that Iceland (still being in Europe) is nowhere near Paris ;). However going on the logic stated in some posts, Poland does border the Ukraine and Finland borders Russia. So if we're talking distances, perhaps some need to rethink their safe plans :confused:?

I also recall an attack in Australia, so even though it's a long, long way from Syria, it's still susceptible to being targeted ;). May I ask a question, 'if NY was targeted next, would there be a thread asking who would be cancelling their 2016 Alaskan/Caribbean cruise?' This is a genuine question as I would be interested to hear people's views. Did everyone not cruise from North America in the year following 9/11 (obviously stating next year as the European cruises do not begin again until late spring 2016)?

Sorry. Unstable was probably a bad choice of words. I mean that the threat of terrorism is at a high level and has had raids on possible terrorists. I know that the US also has terrorist threats against it so we are staying out of Washington and New York. It is a crazy world right now so it is hard to know what to do.

As far as cancelling around 9/11, I live not far from New York City and have only been back twice for a stay of less than 4 hours sice then. So yes, I have stayed away. If someone cancelled Alaska after 9/11, then it is up to them. My sister has not flown since 9/11. So it depends on the individual.

A previous poster inquired about traveling after 9/11. We had a reservation to do our first transatlantic in May 2002 & I cancelled it. A few months later we reconsidered and rebooked. It was sailing that included many European stops that ended in Barcelona. One of our best trips ever. The first of many trans. Our next is April on the Silhouette into Southhampton. We are discussing not going to London and staying in a village instead. Again, we will wait and see. Glad we always have travel insurance just in case.

Short answer - yes.

Long answer - I did have a European cruise planned for next May and, after many conversations with my husband and family, this morning I chose to cancel. If that action makes me a coward and/or let's "them" win, I'm good with that. My actions may not be "right", but they're right for me and those I hold dear. I thought it foolish to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise when I wasn't going to enjoy it. Maybe in time, but not this time.

No changes to my personal travel plans.

I travel for work, domestically and internationally, about 80% of the year. I am aware of emerging threats and have support to help navigate the times when I'm already in a location that goes south. I don't take unnecessary risks and make myself familiar with my surroundings and the local customs as best I can so I don't stick out like a sore thumb.

As others have said, I also witness violence in major cities here in the USA so staying home is not the answer.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

When I told my daughter that she maybe going to Poland instead of France she was really pleased. It's on her bucket list. I took her to Paris a few years back so she is glad that she will get to see something new.

I went to Poland back in 92. I'm sure that things will have changed now. It will certainly still be good for her History studies.

State Department issues worldwide alert for US citizens. This has to be cause for concern for all who travel especially out of the country:

http://pix11.com/2015/11/23/worldwide-travel-alert-state-department-issues-warning-for-americans-amid-increased-terror-threat/

A "worldwide travel alert" is kind of like releasing an official government warning to tell us "life is dangerous" or "we are all going to die (sometime)"!

Yes, I understand that if I'm walking down the street where I live, I'm more likely to notice something that's out of place and also to know what to do to get to a safer place if I feel in danger. So yes, travel is a little bit less safe than staying home.

But unless a lot more bad stuff happens in Europe or North America, I'm not changing my travel plans. I also travel a lot within the US for work and I'm not changing any plans there, either.

(But if all of you who are going to cancel your cruises for 2016 could do it soon so I can get a price reduction on my Transatlantic before final payment date, I'd really appreciate it!) :)

We are booked on a TA out of Rome for next October, doubt we will cancel but will see what happens in the next few months.

Je t'aime Paris! Aujourd'hui et toujours.

We too have a TA booked on the Silhouette at the beginning of November next year. We have been to all of the major ports of call and have private tours booked taking us outside the major cities except for Tenerife. I am concerned about flying into Rome and spending a few days there again. It is time for me to book hotel and air for pre-cruise. I'm very concerned. I am one who sailed and flew just months after 911. I am just not sure which way to go.

State Department issues worldwide alert for US citizens. This has to be cause for concern for all who travel especially out of the country:

http://pix11.com/2015/11/23/worldwide-travel-alert-state-department-issues-warning-for-americans-amid-increased-terror-threat/

These have been issued periodically by the State Dept since 9/11 at least (maybe before as well, but I am not aware of any.....); I would not exactly call them "rare". There was one issued in July 2015 before this one. But ironically I don't recall many people here talking about it or even aware of it.

As someone else said, it's more of a reminder to exercise due caution than any specific alert. I tend to pay more attention to the ones issued for specific countries or areas of countries where there seems to be credible and actionable intel.

Edited by cruisemom42

I have friends who work in European Embassy's. They have been very clear that they are expecting more violence. That said, the violence could happen in NY or Chicago so who knows. They told me to hold on booking right now.....But I booked anyway....ooh well.

One thing is clear and that is that we will most definitely be at higher risk in Europe this summer season..... I know many people who are staying closer to home this season.

Safe travels to all! Safe sails!

One thing is clear and that is that we will most definitely be at higher risk in Europe this summer season..... I know many people who are staying closer to home this season.

What have you heard that we are "most definitely" at higher risk in Europe this summer? We have a Spain & France (not Paris) trip booked for this summer, so I'm certainly interested in knowing any information you are able to share - source (not names of course!), any details, degree of credibility, etc.

When I told my daughter that she maybe going to Poland instead of France she was really pleased. It's on her bucket list. I took her to Paris a few years back so she is glad that she will get to see something new.

I went to Poland back in 92. I'm sure that things will have changed now. It will certainly still be good for her History studies.

I'm sure Poland has changed since then as Poland was only a few years into a new government when you were there. That would be nice if she could go there.

The reason that I wanted to go to Poland was that my grandfather was born there and we still have relatives. My father is 90 and I promised that I would go and try to find his relatives.

You should go. I would like to go for many reasons. It is one of the European countries we have not been to, I've heard great things about Poland from people who have traveled there, the very interesting history, my best friend's maternal and paternal grandparents came from there, and it would be easy to fly to Finland where I could go to the town from which my grandmother came. I've been to Finland, but Helsinki only and not her small town much further north (will have to go in the summer or otherwise take my cross-country skis!).