Does the situation in Europe affect your future travel?

norwegianwood57

There are many cruises that don't go close to or in the face of terrorism & those we do take . ;)

Believe todays news that ISIS terrorists would die for their cause & ideology . How could a ship load of passengers & crew ever defend themselves from a terrorist attack & I pray to God that never happens . do you remember to Pirates off the coast of Africa boarding a ship .Not until the ships got Israel Commandos on board did they conquer the pirates . That happened in the last 10 years .

Now I am confused. Yesterday you quoted (1st post above) that you only take cruises where there is no terrorism. To which I replied that I didn't know how you could possibly be aware, without doubt, which were safe and which were not. Additionally, most of the time one has to travel by land, air etc. to reach those ships, so again this alters the safety ratio. Today, you state that no ship crew could defend themselves from an attack. So are you now stating that those cruises that you know are 'safe' (the ones that you take) would be able to protect themselves if attacked? I'd love to know how you know that one.

Let's not forget, cruising in the middle of the ocean in a ship is a risk in itself. You can reduce the risks, however, there will still be risks involved and those risks can alter greatly, even from individual to individual ;).

My point: no one knows where they will attack next because as you quite rightly stated above, most terrorists will die for their cause. Vigilance is your friend whenever you are travelling, by whatever means, to wherever ;).

The came to me from the US embassy in Italy....the link is at the bottom.

(November 18, 2015) Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Potential for Terrorist Attacks

U.S. Embassy Rome informs U.S. citizens that the following locations have been identified as potential targets in Rome and Milan for terrorist attacks:

St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City (Rome)

The Duomo and La Scala in Milan

General venues such as churches, synagogues, restaurants, theatres, and hotels in both cities are possible targets as well.

Terrorist groups may possibly utilize similar methods used in the recent Paris attacks. The Italian authorities are aware of these threats.

U.S. citizens are advised to remain vigilant and aware of their surroundings. We encourage U.S. citizens to monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.

For further information:

See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Italy Country Specific Information.

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.

Contact the U.S. Embassy in Italy located at Via V. Veneto, 121 00187 Rome, at +39 06-4674-1, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +39 06-4674-1.

U.S. Consulate General in Naples is located at Piazza della Repubblica and it can be reached at (+39) 081-583-8111; the fax number is (+39) 081-583-8275/081-761-1804

U.S. Consulate General in Milan is located at Via Principe Amedeo, 2/10 and is open from 8:30am to 12:00pm for emergency services. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Consulate General in Milan is (+39) 02-290-351.

U.S. Consulate General Florence is located at Lungarno A. Vespucci, 38 and is open from 9:00am to 12:30pm for emergency services. After hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(39) 055-266-951

U.S. Embassy to the Holy See is located on Via Sallustiana, Rome and can be reach after hours at +(39) 06-46741

Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

(November 14, 2015) Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Continued Security Awareness

In the wake of the terrorist attacks in Paris on November 13, the U.S. Mission in Italy reminds U.S. citizens in Italy to review the Worldwide Caution, which provides information on the continuing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world, including Europe.

Recent terrorist attacks, whether by those affiliated with terrorist entities, copycats, or individual perpetrators, serve as a reminder that U.S. citizens need to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness.

For further information:

* See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Italy Country Specific Information.

* Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.

* Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

http://italy.usembassy.gov/mobile/acs/security.html

I understand your concern. This warning is likely based on intelligence.

However, when are you considering traveling to Italy? Are you scheduled to leave in a few days, weeks or months?

If you are scheduled to visit in six months, the threat may not as high.

It would take a lot for me to cancel a booked vacation. I would be inclined to go and just be more vigilant. I would wonder, for example if the Pope keeps his once a week greeting in St.Peter's Square riding around in the Popemobile?

Keep in mind that this is the same poster who confused most of us last month by stating that nobody should cruise to the Caribbean anymore because of a mosquito...

The world is full of folks who are very "risk adverse" and alarmist. The solution for those folks is to simply stay home! Not sure why many insist on spreading their "doom and gloom" attitude other then perhaps them thinking that misery loves company. We do accept that some folks just cannot mentally deal with risk (we have friends who will not join us in our Mexican condo for that reason) and that is their choice. But they also should understand that many others (including moi) are not so easily frightened.

Hank

Now I am confused. Yesterday you quoted (1st post above) that you only take cruises where there is no terrorism. To which I replied that I didn't know how you could possibly be aware, without doubt, which were safe and which were not. Additionally, most of the time one has to travel by land, air etc. to reach those ships, so again this alters the safety ratio. Today, you state that no ship crew could defend themselves from an attack. So are you now stating that those cruises that you know are 'safe' (the ones that you take) would be able to protect themselves if attacked? I'd love to know how you know that one.

Let's not forget, cruising in the middle of the ocean in a ship is a risk in itself. You can reduce the risks, however, there will still be risks involved and those risks can alter greatly, even from individual to individual ;).

My point: no one knows where they will attack next because as you quite rightly stated above, most terrorists will die for their cause. Vigilance is your friend whenever you are travelling, by whatever means, to wherever ;).

Taking a cruise further away from the terrorist territory like Syria & Iraq imo is far safer .Additionally ,Alaska is less likely to suffer a terrorist attack vs a Med or Turkey or Greece or Israel cruise destination . My reasoning is that those cruises are far closer to their centers of activity . Paris is a lot closer than Alaska or Australia . Just using logic .

Any one can say any where in the world is not safe from terror attacks & that is true ;however the likely hood of a attack in Alaska or Australia is far less likely that a heavily populated city like NY ,Wash DC ,London ,Paris ,Rome ie .That is my point

My summary & take n this issue which started on page one is that some people live on the edge & will take risk . That is their personal decision .

My wife & I take the position why place ourselves in possible harms way & thus will not do Europe or Med cruises .

Thus ,each person will make their own decision ;but ,as terrorism expands ;because of non commitment on the part of the US government & Nato nations it will get worse until it is wiped off the face of this earth .

Our collective best answer to these problems is to pray to God ,that it all end & He heal our land.:D

My favorite city is Paris. Next is New York City. I have visited them many times. After 9/11, it took me some time before I was comfortable going to New York City. It will probably be the same with Paris. I have a Northern European cruise booked for July 2016. I am not canceling it. If there is any problem in any of the ports, I know that the cruise line will skip the affected ports. Having been in Israel and Turkey on the Silhouette in October 2015, I was aware of the possible problems. I respect Celebrity's choice to alter ports to avoid potential problems. It is a much safer way to travel in areas that may become dangerous.

None of us dispute the fact that there are risks everywhere. Life is a risk.

It is the added risks we are talking about. The question is, because of the added risks does it give you pause about cruising europe. Of course then you can also parse the degree of the added risk.

Is the added risk right now mild enough not to cause significant effect?

Those of us who are optimists may feel, the situation will be contained in the near future and the risks will not be elevated. Others that are maybe more realistic, see that the geopolitical situation is only getting worse , not better, therefore bringing more risks not fewer and of course many will say, it will get worse before it gets better.

[ATTACH]369238[/ATTACH]

Is this how many of you want to spend your holidays????????????? Here in Europe....

My reply is well written previously :

The world is full of folks who are very "risk adverse" and alarmist. The solution for those folks is to simply stay home! Not sure why many insist on spreading their "doom and gloom" attitude other then perhaps them thinking that misery loves company. We do accept that some folks just cannot mentally deal with risk (we have friends who will not join us in our Mexican condo for that reason) and that is their choice. But they also should understand that many others (including moi) are not so easily frightened.

Hank

PS Where should Europeans holiday then?

Edited by NorbertsNiece

My Wife and I will continue to cruise yearly and take City Breaks in Europe as this is what we enjoy and save and work hard for. I spent years in the Military and the Police prior to retiring, so I am not some ignorant individual who takes inherent risks. There are some countries that I will probably miss for the moment anyway, Tunisia, Egypt and Israel coming to mind. Although to be honest, having holidayed in Tunisia and visited the other 2 on Cruise stops, with the exception of Israel I don't really have a desire to visit them again.

Thanks, norweiganwood57, for a good thread in which questions asked here are ones that others have pondered as well including us.

Yes, honestly I do expect the current situation in Europe and our own US (& Canada) threats and events will change our future travel plans, maybe not radically but at least to some moderate and reasonable degree. Although we do not plan to cease European travel, I expect we will alter some future plans, especially after 2016. We have traveled frequently in Europe and have several European cruises and a land trip booked in 2016, of which one cruise and the land trip both include France. France's being our favorite travel destination made what happened there last week particularly sad and disturbing for us, not only for France and Europe but for all of us.

As much as you are seeing on main-stream television news, much is not reported (at least in US) and that you will find if you dig on the web, through different international media, or personal experiences and reports. Although we are taking a “wait, see, study, and evaluate” approach, at this point we intend on doing all we have already booked; however, going on each successive 2016 Europe cruise or trip will depend on the current climate in both Europe and N. America and also on our experience on the previous European cruise or trip.

The current world situation causes us to have increasing reservations and concern. I expect that we will cut down European travel to 1x per year (from up to 3x) after 2016 and prioritize European countries only of highest interest to us and where we feel comfortable and at lower risk given the countries' current situations. We'll also explore other options, such as travel to other continents and seeing more of the US, and even then we will evaluate carefully.

Yes and no...I just booked a fjord cruise for 2017. I was told that Celebrity jumped the gun and that I couldn't book it until December 8, but I sure did. Who knows what w ill happen by then; however, I love Europe and am missing it this year due to my father moving in with us. We are doing Alaska again to stay in the US to please my dad.:cool:

Here's the starting post. viewpost.gif
When I asked this question before, I actually had a couple of people ask me what situation I was referring to. Unfortunately perhaps it is clearer now.

As many of you, we have a European itinerary booked in the future. We are very concerned.

And just like before , some will say, if you cancel, you are letting the enemy win.

Will some of you say something different?

Please limit your comments to responding to this question.

Thanks.

I posted this last night but based on the posts made today, it's clear that many have chosen to ignore my request.

For example, a gun control debate has absolutely no relationship to future cruising plans. Remember, this forum exists to discuss cruising.

the thread will be closed permanently if off topic posts continue to be made.

Thanks for your anticipated understanding and compliance.

I'd be concerned about booking a cruise because of the itinerary and having the itinerary changed. I understand why it would be changed, but why would I spend a considerable (for us) amount of money, investing all that time planning and anticipating, then having it change. Or else, not having it change and worrying about safety.:o

So this American is staying close to home for now.

Thanks for your patience in keeping this thread open, Host Walt. I agree with Kathy (TourDeCruise) that this is a timely and important topic -- affecting many of our cruise (and other) travel plans.

Last month, for totally unrelated reasons, we canceled our May British Isles cruise, on Silhouette. I was very sad to do so, as I had been looking forward to my first trip to Amsterdam, as well as an overnight port stop in Paris (LeHavre). And, although a European cruise remains high on my "bucket list", we're currently taking a wait-and-see approach to re-booking something over there.

For me, it's not so much fear of another terrorist attack, as not wanting to experience Paris in mourning -- or see other parts of Europe in lock-down mode. It's the same reason I would not have traveled to NYC, in the months immediately after the 9-11 attacks. The City needed time to heal, and get things back to normal. I did have the pleasure of visiting New York last May, after our Summit cruise to Bermuda. Although the NYC residents will never forget those dark days, they are proud of their city, and its resiliency. I'm sure that, in time, the citizens of Paris will put this terrible event behind them, and move on as well.

I tend to plan our trips pretty far in advance, so for the first time since 2008 - I have no Europe plans in the hopper. I love Europe, but decided to travel closer to home over the next few years. That decision was made long before the recent terrorist attacks in Europe and is unrelated to current events. However, if I had a 2016 trip to Europe already planned - I would take a wait and see approach.

Taking a cruise further away from the terrorist territory like Syria & Iraq imo is far safer .Additionally ,Alaska is less likely to suffer a terrorist attack vs a Med or Turkey or Greece or Israel cruise destination . My reasoning is that those cruises are far closer to their centers of activity . Paris is a lot closer than Alaska or Australia . Just using logic .

Any one can say any where in the world is not safe from terror attacks & that is true ;however the likely hood of a attack in Alaska or Australia is far less likely that a heavily populated city like NY ,Wash DC ,London ,Paris ,Rome ie .That is my point

It's very naïve to think that just because somewhere is far away from the Middle East means they are less likely to suffer a terrorist attack. Home grown terror is just as much a threat. Australia has already suffered a terrorist attack which tragically killed 2 people, the perpetrator was an Australian resident. There have also been many thwarted attacks that were being planned by Australians that have become radicalized, and they are just the ones reported in the media, I daresy there have been more that we've never heard about.

I don't consider Australia a dangerous place because of this, but we have not been immune from attacks simply because we are an isolated country.

I am in Europe now. Prior to boarding a river cruise I spent 2 days in Amsterdam. Having been there before, I can honestly say I didn't see anything different than the last time. I was approached by someone who asked in English if I knew where there was a place for the homeless. I had seen a youth hostel so directed him there. I realized after he was probably a refugee as there were a couple of things that made me think so.

I will be returning to Canada on Wednesday and back to the UK on dec. 21. I wouldn't hesitate to travel Europe whether by land or sea.

I agree.

There are systems/people/methods in place on most cruise ships that would make a takeover by terrorists almost impossible. Almost all are unknown to passengers.

I was on a cruise ship when 911 happened. In Europe. And even then, the amount of security they displayed almost instantly was impressive.

Really??? I still remember the USS Cole where a zodiac with a couple hundred pounds of explosives nearly sunk the ship. That's my real worry and could easy happen in most places throughout the Med. I would worry even more on a river cruise a couple of guys with rocket propelled grenades could easily sink one of those long ships. Am I worried about a takeover of a cruise ship, maybe not. But an attack on a ship is certainly a real possibility. I think I'll stay away from Europe until things calm down.

For the past several years we have spent 8 weeks in Europe during the fall and 12 weeks in SE Asia over the winter. No plans to change this, other than an early Jan wedding in Mexico.

And sometime during the Europe or Asia land trip we would like to snag one or more last minute cruise offers.

So, no. Absolutely our travel plans have not been changed by recent events. We tend to shy away from knee jerk reactions.

Edited by iancal

I'm not sure I see a lot of bravado on this thread.

I see a lot of people who are cautious in the face of an evolving situation, and that's fine. I see a lot of people with a lot of cumulative travel experience who by and large are more confident about continuing to travel, and that's also fine.

Above all, I see hope that perhaps airfares to Europe will drop a bit next year, if travelers remain cautious -- and for that, I rejoice. :D

I agree.

There are systems/people/methods in place on most cruise ships that would make a takeover by terrorists almost impossible. Almost all are unknown to passengers.

I was on a cruise ship when 911 happened. In Europe. And even then, the amount of security they displayed almost instantly was impressive.

Please do elaborate on what you saw.

We travel to the UK at least three times a year and usually combine this with a cruise or city break in Europe. We have no plans to change this. We are not risk takers, but we are confident travellers. We have seen a great deal of the world and hope to see more before our travelling days are over. As others have mentioned we travelled to New York City soon after 9/11, because our son was living there. People in the streets heard our British accents and thanked us for visiting their city. We never considered changing our plans on that occasion.