Logistics - When do you....

LuCruise

...shower?

I know this is a strange question, but I was thinking logically when it would be the best time.

Normally, I'm a morning shower person. DH and our kids are night shower people.

But if you go to the beach, or even pool in the day, then showering in the morning may be useless.

And showering at night may be too late since we go to dinner and a show (and even something after that).

Do most shower end of day before dinner? But then you may miss out on activities.

We have another challenge that we have 4 to a cabin. I've heard some families split up and have someone use the shower at the gyms.

Edited by LuCruise

I have to admit, I don't think it's a strange question at all. It does depend on your personal preferences, though.

I can't really start my day until I've had a shower, so I do shower in the morning. I then take a quick shower before dressing for dinner. I will admit, there are only 2 of us in the cabin, but I don't think that my habits would change. I have been told that on Carnival (I don't know about other lines), the showers in the gym/spa are fantastic and many use those to free up the showers in the cabin.

At least twice a day when cruising in warm/hot climates. In the morning and before dinner. My DH usually adds a third shower on sea days after working out in the gym. Even in cooler climates always in the morning, always post-gym for DH, and frequently before dinner if my hair needs washing and/or we had a strenuous day of touring.

A lot depends on the weather and what activities I'm participating in. Sometimes 2 showers a day are needed. I always take a bath on Saturday night whether I need it or not. We put wash tubs in the kitchen and get water from the pump outside and heat it on the coal stove.

Roz

Edited by Roz

Thanks for the replies.

Hearing your responses and thinking about it, I'll probably continue to shower in the mornings as usual (I have awful hair day when I don't wash it...and we'll be taking lots of pictures during our vacation...lol). And then on hot days when I need it, I can jump into the shower later before dinner when needed. I think because of the late nights, we may be better off having our kids shower mornings too....or pre-dinner. And DH...we'll see when is best for him.

I shower whenever I feel the need! Certainly after pool or beach! That will carry me thru dinner....and I never, ever go to bed without bathing first...not ever!

It's not like your 10 min. shower will make you miss anything!

I'm a female...so it's more like 45 minutes to wash and blow dry hair. :D

Then add on 2 kids (one of which needs DH or myself to help) and another adult (whose actual shower time is longer than mine...but no hair drying for him afterwards)

I'm a female...so it's more like 45 minutes to wash and blow dry hair. :D

Then add on 2 kids (one of which needs DH or myself to help) and another adult (whose actual shower time is longer than mine...but no hair drying for him afterwards)

Surely if you shower multiple times per day, only one of those is a hair wash? If I washed my hair two or three times per day, I'd never get anything else done!

Thanks for the replies.

Hearing your responses and thinking about it, I'll probably continue to shower in the mornings as usual (I have awful hair day when I don't wash it...and we'll be taking lots of pictures during our vacation...lol). And then on hot days when I need it, I can jump into the shower later before dinner when needed. I think because of the late nights, we may be better off having our kids shower mornings too....or pre-dinner. And DH...we'll see when is best for him.

We have the same hair issue. Sometimes I won't wash my hair but it does need to be soaked to look presentable.

Surely if you shower multiple times per day, only one of those is a hair wash? If I washed my hair two or three times per day, I'd never get anything else done!

Yes, definitely. Only one shower would be 45 minutes with hair wash. To freshen up after a hot day...that would be a 10 minute shower at most.

We have the same hair issue. Sometimes I won't wash my hair but it does need to be soaked to look presentable.

Glad someone understands what I'm talking about ;)

I know just what you mean. Another thing to consider is that you may be able to just wet your hair and get it back to a condition where it is "styleable." The showers generally have the detachable shower heads so you can reach all areas of the body (as the showers are small and tend to not have much room to move around). You may be okay with either the morning or evening "shower" just being a "wet your hair" thing and not a full shower.

Actually a pretty interesting question. DW and I prefer to dine late (usually no earlier than 8pm) so that we can spend our day at the beach, on deck, etc....and then have plenty of time to unwind (often with a glass of wine on our balcony) before taking a long hot shower. We then go out for pre-dinner cocktails. If we are on a cruise where the show for late diners is before dinner (sometimes at 7) we go to the show after our shower. Then after the show we sometimes have a cocktail before an even later dinner (around 8:30). For us a cruise is all about relaxation and we see no need to run around like headless chickens trying to cram-in this and that. Of course we do appreciate that those with young children on cruises do not usually have the luxury of relaxation.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I just can't sleep without showering first. Something about going to bed sweaty and dirty from the day's activities. My wife on the other hand showers in the morning. Works out well for us. No competition for the shower.

...shower?

I know this is a strange question, but I was thinking logically when it would be the best time.

Normally, I'm a morning shower person. DH and our kids are night shower people.

But if you go to the beach, or even pool in the day, then showering in the morning may be useless.

And showering at night may be too late since we go to dinner and a show (and even something after that).

Do most shower end of day before dinner? But then you may miss out on activities.

We have another challenge that we have 4 to a cabin. I've heard some families split up and have someone use the shower at the gyms.

For us, it depends what we are doing that day. Most of the time, I shower before dinner because we are usually spending the day in the water or on a beach. It just doesn't make sense to shower and then get hot, sticky, sunscreened, and salt water covered.

If we are staying on the boat, or doing a sightseeing tour, then we will shower in the morning before we start the day. We have never showered at night. By the time we are finished with our evening, it is way to late to shower. :D

On port days or if I've been in the pool, I'll have a shower late afternoon and then get ready for dinner. I need to wash my hair after swimming so it takes a good hour to shower and then dry and style my hair (I have waist long hair). If I haven't been swimming or getting sweaty on a port day I'll shower in the morning.

On port days or if I've been in the pool, I'll have a shower late afternoon and then get ready for dinner. I need to wash my hair after swimming so it takes a good hour to shower and then dry and style my hair (I have waist long hair). If I haven't been swimming or getting sweaty on a port day I'll shower in the morning.

True...good to get the cholorine out if swimming in a pool

We have a pretty set routine when cruising (when it's just DH & me).

Get up, go do our thing for the day either on ship or in port.

Late afternoon or early evening, head to the room for shower and nap (we always have late dining).

Get up, dress and go to dinner, nightly activities etc.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This routine varies if we have our kiddos with us. And, when we have traveled 4 in a room with me, DH & our two boys, when we were in a rush to get ready they have gone to the showers in the gym so that we could all shower at the same time.