Labadee: No tip, no chairs

Guest maddycat
Did you expect free service? He did not say the chairs are unavailable to you. He said just stated he would not carry them for you. He even told you where you could obtain the chairs. These are working people not slaves.

These "working people" are hired by RCI to move and arrange the chairs for the cruise ship passengers. They are not supporting themselves by working for tips, they are paid a salary by RCI.

Seriously Not fair! I was excited about a first trip to Labadee. My wife doesn't want another beach so she wants to stay on board. I was going to take my 4 year old daughter and go to Columbus Cove. This has nothing to do with tipping, I just didn't want to take cash. I even got a waterproof camera so would not leave anything of value on the beach when we go swimming.

I had heard about tips for chairs, and had made up my mind I was going to do it myself. I'm fit enough to handle it, I don't want to be pampered prefer to do things for myself the way I like it, no big deal.

Now if I choose I want to do my own work, I'm going to get confronted in front my 4 year old! So now I have to take a couple of bucks so I guys doesn't scare my daughter. I can just see it my little girl grabbing on to my leg because this man is screaming at daddy "How am I supposed to feed my family?" and "You must have a lot of money if you are on this big ship, you must give me some!". Thanks RCI for for putting your customers in that position!

It is easy enough to take a dollar or two.

But my experience showed that even $5 wasn't enough to placate the attendant I dealt with. It was fortunate that my wife and 4-year-old daughter were at the waterline and out of earshot. Duke Mazer has a point. The attendants can create a scene, or at least a very awkward and uncomfortable situation, which is what happened to me. Customers shouldn't be subjected to that regardless of the circumstances on Labadee.

It is on the schedule because people like it, and like it a lot and look forward to it. I do. Been there the last two years on Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is on the schedule to make money for the cruise line. All money spent there goes to the cruise line. If it wasn't a big profit center for the cruise line, the ships would not be going there.

But my experience showed that even $5 wasn't enough to placate the attendant I dealt with. It was fortunate that my wife and 4-year-old daughter were at the waterline and out of earshot. Duke Mazer has a point. The attendants can create a scene, or at least a very awkward and uncomfortable situation, which is what happened to me. Customers shouldn't be subjected to that regardless of the circumstances on Labadee.

I have been there a bunch of times and never given them more than a dollar. That always placated them. Never had them put up a tent though like you did. I didn't even know you could get those for free. I thought cabanas had to be reserved thru the cruise line and cost extra.

Edited by Charles4515

It is on the schedule to make money for the cruise line. All money spent there goes to the cruise line. If it wasn't a big profit center for the cruise line, the ships would not be going there.

It wouldn't be a profit center if passengers didn't want to go there.

Edited by Charles4515

I have been there a bunch of times and never given them more than a dollar. That always placated them. Never had them put up a tent though. I didn't even know you could get those for free. I thought cabanas had to be reserved thru the cruise line and cost extra.

The attendant offered the tent with the two chairs at "no charge". I figured I could grab chairs myself but since he threw in the tent, it's why I offered $5.

Maybe I am using the wrong term and creating a misunderstanding. There is a CC thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1642981

In which they are referred to as "clamshells" as pictured here:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7105/7298955108_e2c8b1fb3b_b.jpg

This was the two-chair + tent setup the attendant put together for me for a couple minutes of work. Definitely not one of the cabanas which are fixed installations.

The attendant offered the tent with the two chairs at "no charge". I figured I could grab chairs myself but since he threw in the tent, it's why I offered $5.

Maybe I am using the wrong term and creating a misunderstanding. There is a CC thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1642981

This was the two-chair + tent setup the attendant put together for me for a couple minutes of work. Definitely not one of the cabanas which are fixed installations.

Those are clamshells. I don't know the story about those at Labadee. At other cruise lines private islands they charge for them but maybe not Labadee. Since I have always gone to Barefoot Beach and Columbus Cove where they don't have them I never inquired. I would probably say $5 tip for putting that up. Seems like they might be hot. I would rather be under one of the thatched roof things for shade.

Edited by Charles4515

To each their own. I don't have a beach. I like the beach stops. The ports in the Caribbean are all shopping and Diamonds International. I go to the Caribbean ports for beaches, snorkeling and other water activities.

There is much more to them if you actually get out of town. And I would not deny you your option to choose cruises with the private stops on the itinerary. Did I say they should be eliminated?

I take Caribbean cruises for the ocean and the beaches. I love the beach and the ocean water. If I wanted to sit by the pool I would stay home we have a nice pool on the roof and it is never crowded. Labadee is a pretty good beach day and I enjoy it. Since I have been there enough I know the lay of the land. I head straight for Columbus Cove on the water taxi from the pier. Not that crowded there. And I know enough to avoid Adrenaline Beach. That beach used to be closed until they built the dock.

The pool in my backyard is also not crowded and I can use it 8 months a year, the older I get the more I prefer a pool, also no waiters to get drinks at the beach, I will do the beach in other islands. I would like to try Ladabee again it been decades since my last trip and I know there been vast improvements.

It is on the schedule because people like it, and like it a lot and look forward to it. I do. Been there the last two years on Celebrity.

This is a chicken or the egg argument. Either way you can't have one without the other. ;)

There is much more to them if you actually get out of town. And I would not deny you your option to choose cruises with the private stops on the itinerary. Did I say they should be eliminated?

I have been out of town. After 53 cruises, 40 in the Caribbean I have seen all those ports many times over. Taken many private tours too. Now I just want to go to the beach in the Caribbean. [emoji1]

The pool in my backyard is also not crowded and I can use it 8 months a year, the older I get the more I prefer a pool, also no waiters to get drinks at the beach, I will do the beach in other islands. I would like to try Ladabee again it been decades since my last trip and I know there been vast improvements.

You can get drinks at Labadee. Also the ship docks there now. No tendering. Someone said they felt captive but the option of returning to the ship at any time is easy now that there is no tendering.

Yep, based on everything we've read about Labadee we plan to skip it. We really wish it wasn't on our schedule.

For the record, it creeps me out to have a guy in the bathroom trolling for tips, which is almost as bad as having to pay 18% gratuity for a drink package that involves me refilling my mug at a Freestyle machine, but it I'm sure that's a whole different thread. :-)

That being said, I have loved my trips to Labadee because it's a relaxing beach day that we get for a short walk without having to pay for an excursion and a ride to get there. I don't have a problem tipping the chair guys $5 for setting up 3 chairs. We usually avoid the straw market gamut, but unless to go there on purpose you don't know it's there.

IMO, I would embrace Labadee and not dread it. When compared to a dump like Nassau or Coco Cay, which gets skipped way too often or bypassed by Oasis class, Labadee is a great stop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes sense to me now. The clamshell should have been a $25 charge (or possibly more by now). You were probably being given the chance to pay less than $25, but the money would have gone to the attendant, not RCI. The reason I know this is because I was intercepted by the "beach watch" guy at Columbus Cove who saw me headed to the float station with my card in my hand. He offered to get me a float for only a gratuity for him. He told me it would be better for me to give him the money than give it to a large corporation. Sounds like at least two of the employees are stealing from their employer.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

This makes sense to me now. The clamshell should have been a $25 charge (or possibly more by now). You were probably being given the chance to pay less than $25, but the money would have gone to the attendant, not RCI. The reason I know this is because I was intercepted by the "beach watch" guy at Columbus Cove who saw me headed to the float station with my card in my hand. He offered to get me a float for only a gratuity for him. He told me it would be better for me to give him the money than give it to a large corporation. Sounds like at least two of the employees are stealing from their employer.

Yep. That explains it. I suspected those Clamshells would have a charge.

Edited by Charles4515

I hope Royal is reading this.

And I hope people start complaining when they experience rude behavior from any RC employee.

We have been to Labadee several times and have always enjoyed it.....however seems like the island has gotten somewhat money hungry with the help. We will be there in less than three weeks - looking forward to it and will be on the lookout for unsavory natives......

Thanks for your input. I wasn't even thinking that the attendant could have been dishonest when he told me "I'll set it up for you, no charge".

The guy that operates the roller coaster told my nephew $10 cash to ride all day long.

The guy that operates the roller coaster told my nephew $10 cash to ride all day long.

Hmm, that's interesting. I tried getting a deal from the Dragon's Breath zip line guy but no dice. Later in the afternoon that day, after seeing they were not at all busy with no one in line for a long time, I walked up and said, "looks like you're not very busy today, can you do half-price?" He smiled and said, "same price". Oh well, it was worth a shot :) I wouldn't want to get them into trouble or annoy them with haggling if the price was not at all negotiable.

I believe earlier in the thread I gave some advice. If you don't have any cash for a tip, don't tell them you are not going to tip them. Let them set out the chairs. If they say anything or make a face then say you don't have any cash. Don't start a conversation about it. Been to Labadee a bunch of times and there are always passengers who don't bring cash. I have seen the unhappy look on the their faces chair carriers faces but they have to be used to not getting a tip from everyone.

I disagree with this. If you don't want to or have the money to tip, just do it yourself. If you let them do it knowing that they are expecting a tip that you know you're not going to give, that is dishonest IMO. No different than someone who pulls their tips on board on the last night after a week's worth of service has already been rendered.