Suggestion on "keeping dry" at hot, humid ports

tbmrt

We're headed to ports that have lots of rain and humidity. Thinking of bringing plastic ponchos, a shammy to wipe off with and plastic bags to prevent stuff from getting drenched.

Last year we encountered monsoon-like rain in St. Thomas and came back to the ship dripping from head to toe including our bags.

Any helpful hints for dealing with this type of weather appreciated!

I would concentrate on a waterproof bag to keep my stuff dry; shoes that are good when wet. Hat with a brim to keep my glasses from needing windshield wipers; maybe a lightweight poncho if the rain is really heavy. I find that items that are waterproof, like windbreakers, do not breathe and I would be as wet from sweating as if I was just out in the refreshing rain. EM

On a previous cruise, one of our stops was St. Thomas. I had checked the forecast for the week of our cruise and saw that rain was in the forecast for much of the Eastern Caribbean. We packed compact umbrellas "just in case". Good thing we did, because St. Thomas got a nice soaking. We didn't have an excursion booked, and had opted to explore on our own. We didn't carry anything extra with us in port, just our umbrellas. We stayed mostly dry, but our tennis shoes got wet. Like any kind of outing away from home, it's always a good idea to check the weather forecast for where you're going, and plan accordingly. When in port, regardless of the weather, the less you have to carry around (especially if you're out walking) the better.

Royal Robbins, ExOfficio, Columbia make clothing that are designed to dry quickly. You may want to check into that.

Also, a good waterproof duffle for personal items. I have a rule... If I don't want it to get wet or damaged, I don't bring it.

I have a little camera (with the heart of a warrior) that I carry just for this purpose.

I know not everyone is like me...but monsoon type rains would keep me on the ship....I don't like rain and would not willingly go venturing out in it!

Same here. There would be nothing we would want to do in a port when it was pouring down rain.

When I read threads like this, I wonder...what do these people do when it rains at home??

Ponchos are either thin films of plastic, which might help with light rains but tear and are generally one-use OR they are thick plastic with both weight and non-breathability issues.

My own suggestion for tropical/warm weather rain is to invest in good raingear that you can use at home. Think either Gore-Tex (or equivalent) or one of the lighter breathable fabrics. You can then use both on vacation and at home. Worth the investment.

Suggested brands include Marmot, Patagonia, Mammut, North Face, Outdoor Research and Columbia. What you want is often labeled as a "hiking jacket", even if you aren't going to be doing hiking, that's the weight level you'd like for travel.

I personally like this jacket - it is lightweight, has a hood, is made from a breathable waterproof material and has pit-zips for extra ventilation. LINK HERE for the REI sales page. I also have the equivalent type from Marmot. They will work for both home use and while on the road. Be sure to read the specs on the material so you find something that will both keep out the water and wind, plus be able to breathe. Pit zips are wonderful once you try them, and they usually indicate a higher quality jacket.

For our "stuff" I have a backpack from REI that does a good job of keeping what is inside dry, but I still use zip bags for stuff that just can't get wet.

I ride motorcycles, and teach people to ride motorcycles. When I have a class and it rains I wear Frogg Toggs. Fairly light weight, breathable waterproof pants and jacket, as well as a wide brimmed hat and stay dry even when out in the pouring rain in the middle of a parking lot for 5 hours. http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/?gclid=CNTAl4jJn8kCFVIbgQodiqkLVg

I really dislike being out in the pouring rain...but I don't let that stop me from getting out and enjoying myself!

I guess I'm more puzzled about what you plan to do on the various islands when it is raining? Do you intend to go shopping or to a restaurant? Are you going to the beach or on a boat? Without knowing exactly what you have in mind, it's really hard to know what to recommend. We tend to use umbrellas and wear the coolest clothes possible and waterproof sandals. If you've gone to a beach or water based excursion, you're going to be wet anyway and we really don't take much of anything that can't get wet.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

. Thinking of bringing plastic ponchos,

Any helpful hints for dealing with this type of weather appreciated!

If you wear a plastic poncho, it will do a wonderful job of keeping the rain out but it will also keep all your perspiration inside. It will be like raining from the inside out.

DON

....ok if the forecast is solid rain we would probably not get off the boat.

But we have many happy memories in Asia in the wet season and a couple in the Caribbean using a simple strategy.

Rain usually comes pm so get off fairly early. Use google earth to find a bar with an open veranda and a good menu (stay dry, watch others get wet). Hopefully get there after a walk and before rain starts.

Pay for a taxi return to the ship asking to be dropped as near as possible to the ramp. Have a throw away poncho in your pocket for that last dash on board.

We buy packs of ponchos from the dollar shops when we are in the U.S. And always have a few in our luggage.

Never use an umbrella, tropical rain too frequently comes with gusts of wind.

Enjoy!

Oh I love a good bit of tropical rain (or heavy rain in hot climates)

I often put electrical/precious things in ziplock bags when heading to a beach/pool/possible heavy rain place anyway. A plastic bag should also be good for everything else or you could invest in plastic style waterproof bags and smallrucksacks which you can get from outdoor shops. I have taken these camping/hiking and they are great.

I agree with the plastic Ponchos...as I live in the UK I always have one in my bag in the summer and they are £2.

OK...We were in Panama on a native village excursion. I had a nice straw Panama workers hat on and some fast dry outdoor clothes. It was hot, as usual. We were in long, thin canoes. We were speeding along on a lake when the sky opened up and it poured. There was nothing we could do but sit there and wait till we got to the village.

We got to the village and made it up to a hut they had built for the tourists. It was large and dry. In that hut, we dried off fairly fast. It rained on and off while we were there and before we left I put on the plastic poncho they had given us (O put mine in my pocket and trying to put in on in the fast moving boat was out of the question). Needless to say, it rained on the way back, but I was a lot drier.

The natives walk around 1/2 naked and paid no attention to the rain.

Perhaps that's the best way to handle it.....;)

• 2 weeks later...

Our experience in Costa Rica (land-based tour) was that Gore-tex failed monumentally. Suspect the rain has a mist component or the humidity rose so high it just fooled the pores in that material as to which way to let the H2O flow. Soaked and I mean SOAKED to the skin twice in ten days. Fortunately it was a warm rain! One of the days we were at a casita-type place with the restaurant at the top of a hill and our cottage way down. Rather than slide down the hill, change, and climb back up, we ate dinner dripping wet!

We returned home and lucked onto knee-length Trail Model Rain Coats from L.L.Bean. The description says breathable but it is not the same as Gore-Tex (description also says "advanced ceramic coating"). IDK but it works! Have worn in TROPICAL Southern Asia (x2), Eastern Europe (x2), Herculaneum (Italy), etc.

Here is current version of Men's:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68420?productId=1119291

Women's:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68165?page=trail-model-raincoat

The price compares favorably to Goretex, too.

Edited by crystalspin