Should Cel offer perks for 55+

gordylad

And as I'll keep pointing out each time it comes up, they aren't going to get younger cruisers until they update their tech to the 21st century. And it won't be that many years before Virgin Cruises comes in and scoops up all the wealthy, hip 30 year olds anyway.

Yes, I think they should, but then I'm over 55, so I would ;) Edited to say, we certainly spend money. My DH only drinks alcohol on holiday (because he likes it a bit too much), I love cocktails. I also love expensive spa treatments and we book excursions! I'm 56 and my DH is 62. We'll be spending money on these things for many years if we are lucky enough to be living!

We also spend money on the extras- since we do not gamble, we spend a significant amount of money at the Jewelry store and also on shore excursions and dining upgrades. We enjoy a suite and mostly book sky and above. In addition, we occasionally take our adult married children, on cruises with us- so that is extra cabins. However, I believe the cruise lines are now courting our children not necessarily us. As you say, if we are lucky enough to be living and have good health- I intend to travel for another 25 years! Until I take that final cruise in the sunset!

Why? What's so magical about 55?

I'm over 55, but I don't expect Celebrity to cater to me because of it. I don't expect discounts nor do I expect music, entertainment to be geared to the baby boomers. I don't need my food pureed yet, either :D I want to be around people of all ages and enjoy new music, art, food etc...

It's nice when seniors are offered discounts on neccessities such as food, clothing and utilities. Cruises are luxuries.

As an aside, my next cruise was eligible at some point for the senior/military/resident discount. It wasn't combinable with the BBB, which is a better deal for us and is offered to everyone.

Perhaps a bit controversial but I feel having reached the 50's Celebrity should take this into consideration and offer perks in order to maintain their loyal/senior passengers.

I've booked 55+ ticked the box and no reductions ever appear so come on Celebrity what about:

free bev package as standard on all cruises including transatlantics

obc of $55 dollars and upwards depending on your age

Anything else?

I am 71 and never take a discount for age. I say give it to the struggling families who need it.

Most over 55 who can go on a cruise do not need a discount.

The last time I went to the theater (just a few months ago), and asked for a senior rate, it was just 50 cents off per ticket that cost $17.00 to enter. Not worth the time and effort it took me do dig out my drivers license in order to prove my age.

At least you have to prove your age. Hell, they just look at me and give me the senior discount!

I've never understood why Celebrity and a few other cruise lines ask for the age because I've never seen any benefits offered from any of the cruise lines for your age, other than some where kids sail free.

I've gotten a few discounts (certain travel insurance) from being of age and part of say AARP but no cruise line benefits.

Personally, in this day and age, not sure if there is a need for it anyway.

Keith

I was looking to book NCL last year-- you could either take the free unlimited drink package for 7 days or $50 off for an AARP rate. Unless you NEVER upcharge any drink, it's really an easy choice.

The real "perk" of age is an open calendar and (hopefully) some disposable income.

Edited by denatravels

Personally I don't think Celebrity can manage another pricing strategy. They are too busy changing or removing perks from their current pricing and marketing ploys. As someone who just turned 55 last week it's only a benefit if you book an interior stateroom.

Edited by Iamcruzin

It seems that everywhere I go I get a discount because I'm 55+.

Publix, McDonalds, Theatre, etc.

I think people in their 20s (The screwed generation) should be getting the discounts.

OTOH, why give a discount based on age to anyone?

I tend to agree. The over 60 group has more money than any other age group.

Also, the younger generation is going to have to pay for our national debts and probably get less SS.

I turn 55 in February and on my forthcoming Eclipse Cruise in July, I would like $1000 obc, unlimited free dining in the Speciality Restaurants and a free upgrade from a 1A to a Suite.

I would like to not be required to pay income taxes too!

I would like to not be required to pay income taxes too!

That one I'd go for as long the government squanders what they're now getting. But on a more serious note, when did Americans become panhandlers? It seems most have their hands out. I'm well over 55 and I'll pay my own way, thank you. This is not to say that I won't search for the best deal X offers, just that I don't expect age based privilege.

That one I'd go for as long the government squanders what they're now getting. But on a more serious note, when did Americans become panhandlers? It seems most have their hands out. I'm well over 55 and I'll pay my own way, thank you. This is not to say that I won't search for the best deal X offers, just that I don't expect age based privilege.

I agree. Same thing when a few complain it's not fair that an infant is charged the same price as others. We all have choices.

I turn 55 in February and on my forthcoming Eclipse Cruise in July, I would like $1000 obc, unlimited free dining in the Speciality Restaurants and a free upgrade from a 1A to a Suite.

Not a problem. Just click your heels three times and repeat, "there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home." :D

You clearly are one of the lucky ones. Many seniors depend upon Medicare and Social security and live on fixed income , So just like infants and children get discounts, why not help out a senior? I call it respect. Many of These people served our country in wars.

Edited by Cruise a holic

You clearly are one of the lucky ones. Many seniors depend upon Medicare and Social security and live on fixed income , So just like infants and children get discounts, why not help out a senior? I call it respect. Many of These people served our country in wars.

The corporate mentality offering a senior discount is not to help them out but to motivate them with an incentive to spend their money with the company.

People just getting by on Medicare and Social Security (depending upon) are not people who spend their money on cruising.

BTW Celebrity's senior/state discount is not that great. Usually the other perks are better. The only time it really plays out is after final payment, inside cabin or when no other discount/perks are available.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I'm amazed that this thread is still alive. It seems that there are those who may decry entitlements that others receive (people in real need), but are more than vocal about wanting them for ourselves - just because.

At 58 I have learned to find value before paying and to expect to get what I pay for. I do not expect to pay less for same services and experience as others simply because I have lived longer. In fact, as a general rule, older folks control more wealth than younger folks so why would I want my kids to pay more than me for the same product?

The corporate mentality offering a senior discount is not to help them out but to motivate them with an incentive to spend their money with the company.

People just getting by on Medicare and Social Security (depending upon) are not people who spend their money on cruising.

BTW Celebrity's senior/state discount is not that great. Usually the other perks are better. The only time it really plays out is after final payment, inside cabin or when no other discount/perks are available.

Well said

Infants and children of any age do not get discounts (as it should be) on Cruise fares.