Safe to use credit cards in ports?

gooddayz

I have a credit card that charges no foreign transaction fees and was planning to use in ports.

My question is this, is it pretty safe and secure to use cc in ports, or better off using cash.

I have read a lot lately about small restaurants and shops using "skimmers" to steal your card info.

Experienced cruisers.....what's your opinion?

Thanks to all the people on this board who have helped by answering all my questions!

We use cash for many things, but also a debit card or credit card, depending on the purchase. Unfortunately, credit card fraud/number theft happens everywhere. I wouldn't say that foreign ports are any more or less safe.

Yup, no more or less safe than anywhere else. I've never run into any problems on any of our cruises. If you want an extra layer of safety it's not a terrible idea to call your credit card company and apprise them of your travel plans including what dates you'll be in what ports.

In "most" cruise ports, with a decent check for a skimmer on the card reader, I think you're OK. The decision of US banks to not implement chip and PIN has definitely created a security vulnerability that does not exist with most non-US issued cards, but I do use my cards overseas (to include Russia, which has a reputation of being the wild, wild west).

We always call the credit card company before going. Flag your account with the day and port you will be in and might use the account. If your account is used on any other day it will be flaged with a fraud alert...................................................RADICAL

I've had my card compromised at home several times. I don't think you will have MORE of an issue when you travel. Reports have been made about it happening ON a cruise, so that's just as likely. The only place is used cash when traveling has been Greece last summer-- and only because there were reports of them not accepting credit cards, so I wanted to have plenty of money.

True....for "big ticket" items, it's best to use your credit card...they have protection built in. If you're grabbing a cup of coffee or something small...use cash.

Make sure you CALL your credit card company and let them know where you'll be going, so they don't put a "fraud alert" on your card....

We use CC's everywhere overseas. Remember, if the card is skimmed- you are not responsible for the illegal transactions- so it's more of a hassle than anything else. Assuming you have a back up card to use.

While it's not a big deal in the Caribbean (as most places accept US dollars), in Europe, even with the best exchange rates for cash, it's possible you will get the best rate with one of your CC's.

In "most" cruise ports, with a decent check for a skimmer on the card reader, I think you're OK. The decision of US banks to not implement chip and PIN has definitely created a security vulnerability that does not exist with most non-US issued cards, but I do use my cards overseas (to include Russia, which has a reputation of being the wild, wild west).

And I would just add that this makes zero sense to me. Is there some sort of issue with we Americans not being able to memorize four numbers?

I'm surprised dada hasn't chimed in with a detailed lecture on prepaid debit cards and 24 hour account monitoring and 20 second high tech funds transfers........:):D

You are OK using your credit card, it's not like you should only feel safe using at the local restaurants at home. If there are any fraudulant charges (and it happens no matter where you may use it), it's NOT a big hassle, the credit card companies often call you before you even notice it and take care of it no problem.

If you get a Barclaycard Arrival Plus Card it is both a "Chip &

Sign" and "Chip & Pin".

You didn't say what credit card you will be using. We like American Express, but many shops won't take it due to the high fees they have to pay. But we have "text alert" anytime our AMX card is charged. We have ATT Cell plan and incoming texts are free worldwide, so it's a great way to watch your card. And it is instantaneous. I got the text alert in a Rome restaurant before the waiter had returned my card for signature! They are also very good if you dispute charges or it's stolen. Make sure you let your credit card company know about your plans. That is always a good thing. But most credit card companies don't penalize you for theft. I would keep the international number on the back to report theft or loss available just in case.

We use a credit card for most purchases whenever we travel outside or in the US. The only time I have ever had fraudulent charges on my card was in the US. Since I check our charges weekly, I called within a day or two of the charge and the CC company was very quick to remove it. No hassle at all!:D

Sherri:)

And I would just add that this makes zero sense to me. Is there some sort of issue with we Americans not being able to memorize four numbers?

The issue is that the chip cards require a different sort of 'swipe' machine than the US currently uses. Businesses are reluctant to pay for those machines.

But more and more US banks are issuing chip cards. Problem still is though that are signature cards so can be used in current machines.

We use a specific card for travel...one that does not charge the 2.5 percent admin fee for foreign transactions or foreign ATM withdrawals.

We have used this/these cards in many foreign countries. Never, ever had a problem.

We never let the card out of our sight, ie we do not let a server or a merchant take the card where we cannot see it. Our practice is to use bank machines during daylight hours and to use ATMs that are located inside the bank or post office branch vs. the ones that are in a wall somewhere in a retail area.

We change our PIN number frequently. And we don't have the PIN written down on a slip of paper in our respective wallets!

We have had a credit card compromised. It was the one we use at home day to day. Don't know what happed...don't care. We were not responsible for the loss.

One thing we are noticing more when we travel is merchants asking if we 'want to be billed in our currency". That is code for they will take the charge, add on 3-5 percent on top of the prevailing exchange rate, and then run it through your card. We have noticed this has become a more frequent occurrence in Florida. Avis has tried to do it on our most recent rentals without even asking.

In many parts of the world you will be charged extra for using a credit card...often as much as three percent. This offsets the merchant's fee.

Edited by iancal

You didn't say what credit card you will be using. We like American Express, but many shops won't take it due to the high fees they have to pay. But we have "text alert" anytime our AMX card is charged. We have ATT Cell plan and incoming texts are free worldwide, so it's a great way to watch your card. And it is instantaneous. I got the text alert in a Rome restaurant before the waiter had returned my card for signature! They are also very good if you dispute charges or it's stolen. Make sure you let your credit card company know about your plans. That is always a good thing. But most credit card companies don't penalize you for theft. I would keep the international number on the back to report theft or loss available just in case.

United Explorer and most, if not all, other Chase cards have the same text alerts and many (including United's) have no FTF.

Also, carry two different credit cards and use one for everything until or unless it becomes compromised. Then just cancel it and use the second one. Likewise, carry two ATM cards in case one gets eaten by a hungry machine. BTW, if you travel extensively, your credit card company may notify you that informing them about foreign travel is unnecessary.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We use cash for many things, but also a debit card or credit card, depending on the purchase. Unfortunately, credit card fraud/number theft happens everywhere. I wouldn't say that foreign ports are any more or less safe.

I agree with a lot that has been said. I use cash as much as possible for small purchases and food while in port. I carry the same credit card with me just in case of an emergency, God forbid we missed the ship. We NEVER use a debit card. If the card is compromised, you have very little recourse once they have drained your account. Much easier to dispute credit card purchases.