What is the 1 Most Important Thing you Forgto to Pack?

take us away

And who said that did not happen? ;)

Thank you all for the laughs! I am on the "don't pack for DH list" I plan the trips, make all the,arrangements, print out the info, reserve the flights, cars and hotels, make sure our passports are up to date and in my bag. I used to have to pack for all the kids, too. DH only has to pack for himself. He does, however, always forget razors.

Favorite moment? We (DH and me, three kids 6, 8 and 10) are leaving the country for 3 weeks. At the border DH says "so where are we going?" Who goes out if the country for 3 weeks and has no idea where he is going? DH, obviously! I say, you did bring the money, right? He pulls $6 out of his pocket. Who leaves the country for three weeks, has no idea where he is going and has no money? DH. Luckily, because I knew him well, I had gotten money in the correct currencies out of the bank. Still love him, still with him 25 years after this incident and still laugh every time I think about it.

Oh, that was just the second part of a traumatic trip from New York to Ft. Lauderdale in February!

First the car service was late picking us up, then the driver too the weirdest - and most congested - route through Brooklyn. Then he made an illegal left turn in front of a cop so we were pulled over. He decided he wanted to argue with the cop but I persuaded him to shut up and get us going. Out of that mess we hit major traffic due to an accident. A few blocks later he got on the service road, bypassed and we were flying on empty roads to the airport. That was when DH discovered the missing passport...

Onwards to JFK where the place is deserted with most flights already cancelled and just a few planes ta the terminals. It was eerie. We got on the plane and it pushed back on time, only for it to come to a halt and the interior lights went on. The captain got on the intercom and told us due to heavy thunderstorms in Florida all flight routes were shut down. He would update us in about 40 minutes. Somebody asked him when he would time out and he said in about two hours; so if we were not in the air by then, they would have to get a new pilot.

Eventually he came on and told us that we were allowed to take off and there was rejoicing on board! I said: bring out the cocktail cart - I need a drink! We made it to Ft Lauderdale about 2 am.

Another great story! I keep thinking it was good you were going to FtL early!

You guys must be a hoot to travel with!!

You are all enablers! :D

Yep..I'm one too!;)

I prefer to think of it as a survival technique. :D

How right you are!:)

I also pack for DH His idea of packing is 2 pr of undies, 2 shirts, 2 pr. slacks & 2 pr of socks..:eek: .

Like "Take us Away" & others, I too am a list maker..On the first page I list the ports with a line next to it..

Then I carry the list farther! Will list entire outfits by how many days are smart casual & how many are formal..

Such as:

F1) long skirt___ whte chiffon top___patent shoe_____

F2)palazzo pnts____SLVR Shell w/JKT____Open toes____

C1) whte slaks_____blck w/whte flower top____Sandles____

C2) blck slaks ____polka dot top____Flower jkt____flats____

C3) Long Red dress____Whte JKT____flats_____

If there are 8 casual & 2 formal I keep going down & list each outfit..

Also list Outfits to embark & debark in..

We take a copy of the packing list on board & when I wear an outfit I'll note the outfit Number next to the port..

Such as: Day 1 Ft. Lauderdale__C7__

Day 2 HMC __C-5____

I cross pack every suitcase plus our carry=on's..The blank space next to each outfit will be checked off as I pack each article. with an "L" designating large bag, "M" which is the 26 inch bag, cy for carry-on & "H" which is hanging...I also bring six or seven pr's of shoes. just for me alone & try to split the shoes into different bags..

I'll even do a packing list for the small essential like toothpaste, makeup,post it's, umbrella, etc..To be on the safe side we take one extra week of meds with us, always in our carry-on's

If a bag is lost & you have to fill out a lost bag report, you should be able to tell the airline of cruise line what is in the lost bag..

On our 68 day cruise, I borrowed a 30 in bag & sent it with our 28 inch bag via FED-Ex & carried our hanging bag plus two carry-on's.. When HAL shipped our bags for a Jan 5 cruise, they had to be ready for FED-Ex by Dec. 18..OMG:eek:Hal stored them almost three weeks & they were in our cabin when we embarked..

Edited by serendipity1499

Another great story! I keep thinking it was good you were going to FtL early!

You guys must be a hoot to travel with!!

We always go at least two days early; next February we fly down Tuesday after work for a Sunday departure.

Edited by Boytjie

serendipity -- I used to pack like that for all vacations -- on an Excel spreadsheet no less!

But as our bags have shrunk and our wardrobes have become more internally color-coordinated [that is, most of my garments can be worn with each other -- not that I am necessarily coordinated with him -- I reserve that for university functions at home], I tend NOT to do this, but work from an internal mini-list that goes like "3 bottoms (plus one on the plane), 7 tops (plus one on the plane), 1 or 2 toppers that may be different weights/warmths depending on where we're going... undies/socks/PJs... outerwear." I'm thinking about it in the back of my head for some time, but only actually get things together in time to find things that have gone missing or need laundering, in time. I put everything on a X-shaped folding clothes rack, mine on one side his on the other. Count and confirm that every top goes with at least several bottoms. Readjust, repeat.

I often don't get the suitcases out until about 36 hours before ETD because it traumatizes the cats, who know what that means. If you think I'm anthropomorphizing, you should see the more neurotic cat get IN the suitcase, every time, predictably!

SilverToGold -- the one thing I *will* have him pick out is what shoes he wants to take. One lace-up for walking days, one slip-on for flights and sea-days. I can't keep track of which shoes are most comfortable for him at any time! He is also in charge of money, tickets, arranging airport parking, and handing me my passport when it's time to put it in my travel wallet.

ETA: Even with carry-on only, I still cross-pack. Sometimes the airline will separate you from your larger bag even if it is accepted size and weight for carry-on; most flights fly full these days. Last trip I used ZipLoc "Big Bags" as packing organizers -- one pants, two shirts, half the smalls -- went in the other person's suitcase. Easy to re-arrange when unpacking on board.

Edited by crystalspin

Yep..I'm one too!;)

How right you are!:)

I also pack for DH His idea of packing is 2 pr of undies, 2 shirts, 2 pr. slacks & 2 pr of socks..:eek: .

Like "Take us Away" & others, I too am a list maker..On the first page I list the ports with a line next to it..

Then I carry the list farther! Will list entire outfits by how many days are smart casual & how many are formal..

Such as:

F1) long skirt___ whte chiffon top___patent shoe_____

F2)palazzo pnts____SLVR Shell w/JKT____Open toes____

C1) whte slaks_____blck w/whte flower top____Sandles____

C2) blck slaks ____polka dot top____Flower jkt____flats____

C3) Long Red dress____Whte JKT____flats_____

If there are 8 casual & 2 formal I keep going down & list each outfit..

Also list Outfits to embark & debark in..

We take a copy of the packing list on board & when I wear an outfit I'll note the outfit Number next to the port..

Such as: Day 1 Ft. Lauderdale__C7__

Day 2 HMC __C-5____

I cross pack every suitcase plus our carry=on's..The blank space next to each outfit will be checked off as I pack each article. with an "L" designating large bag, "M" which is the 26 inch bag, cy for carry-on & "H" which is hanging...I also bring six or seven pr's of shoes. just for me alone & try to split the shoes into different bags..

I'll even do a packing list for the small essential like toothpaste, makeup,post it's, umbrella, etc..To be on the safe side we take one extra week of meds with us, always in our carry-on's

If a bag is lost & you have to fill out a lost bag report, you should be able to tell the airline of cruise line what is in the lost bag..

On our 68 day cruise, I borrowed a 30 in bag & sent it with our 28 inch bag via FED-Ex & carried our hanging bag plus two carry-on's.. When HAL shipped our bags for a Jan 5 cruise, they had to be ready for FED-Ex by Dec. 18..OMG:eek:Hal stored them almost three weeks & they were in our cabin when we embarked..

All I can say is that your system is a bit much. All I do is figure out that I need 6 pair socks, 3 shirts, 2 pair pants, etc and who cares if they match. Then my wife takes over and adds a few more things. But to organize by days and matching outfits and then to cross reference by what suitcase they are in is in my opinion way too much work.

But, if it works for you, then it must be OK for you.

DON

DON

All I can say is that your system is a bit much. All I do is figure out that I need 6 pair socks, 3 shirts, 2 pair pants, etc and who cares if they match. Then my wife takes over and adds a few more things. But to organize by days and matching outfits and then to cross reference by what suitcase they are in is in my opinion way too much work.

But, if it works for you, then it must be OK for you.

DON

DON

I don't think a person should be ridiculed for being organised. I hate the thought of wasting valuable vacation time running around trying to buy items I may have forgotten. I like cruises to run smoothly and it sounds as though Serendipity does as well.

When people take long cruises the organisation becomes more important. I know my husband appreciates my effort when everything he asks for is placed in front of him and not forgotten at home.

Also, I consider the planning and lists as part of the build up and anticipation of the cruise. I enjoy it and as long as I am not asking anyone to do it for me I don't understand why anyone would be bothered by what I or any other super organiser do.

Edited by sapper1

I have a checklist I print out for every trip with boxes next to each item and 3 columns such as "electronic items", "Health items", "Misc. items" and boxes next to each item. I don't put a check mark in the box until the item goes into the suitcase or carry-on. Last item to be checked is always my cell phone right after I call a taxi. Keeps me from forgetting things.

serendipity -- I used to pack like that for all vacations -- on an Excel spreadsheet no less!

I often don't get the suitcases out until about 36 hours before ETD because it traumatizes the cats, who know what that means. If you think I'm anthropomorphizing, you should see the more neurotic cat get IN the suitcase, every time, predictably!

QUOTE]

Love the memory of my cat who hated it when I traveled, which I did at least 3 times a month but just for a few days. She would jump in, rearrange everything, make a nest and stretch out, glare at me and meow. Always carried a lint roller for the cat hair!

I do not pack for my DH, although I do pick out ties--he has only a few but still can't figure out which go with navy and which with grey. ;)

He has been known to forget entire categories of stuff. Once it was dress socks (they sell them in the ship's shop although they aren't "out"--they have them hidden away for men who forgot to pack them :rolleyes:), and another time it was collared shirts for casual nights in the MDR. We bought one in the shop and another one at our first stop in Key West, and he rotated them.

Recently I have been forgetting silly things: toothbrush, hair brush, lip balm. I have been packing today for Saturday's cruise (yay) and I've got all my little bags out for the bathroom stuff to remind me to pack it. I hate to pay ship prices for a toothbrush!

It seems we (OK me) usually have one issue each cruise . I use the word issue because it is not always about forgetting . For a Med. cruise both my sunglasses were broken by the first cruise day . On another cruise unbeknownst to us Ombrelle, our usual sunscreen lotion, had revised its formula . It clumped up and we had to spend time and too much money getting its replacement . Another cruise I forgot to pack any hats for the sun . This summer we went on a Quebec to Boston Veendam cruise . Nice cruise but so cold and wet . We didn't pack for it . We ended up purchasing "fall" jackets in Bar Harbor . Finally we forgot the bag with all the electronic chargers in the car on another cruise . In the end the cameras and phones just made it . Just .

I think that's it . :o

This is not on a cruise but I went on a driving trip in AK and needed to have my GPS. Unfortunately, I forgot one of the cables. I hit every store in Fairbanks looking for the cable and finally got one. Otherwise , I would have had to buy a new GPS.

If I had bought the new GPS, when I got home my wife would have said and in the tone indicated by the caps "YOU HAD TO BUY A WHOLE NEW GPS BECAUSE YOU FORGOT THE CABLE. YOU WOULD FORGET YOUR HEAD IF IT WASN'T SCREWED ON!!!"

I now have one of these - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KT7GKA8?keywords=tenba%20cable%20cases&qid=1450331339&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2 - and I leave all of my wires and assorted small stuff in it all the time.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Of course it's always something new -- you would remember the previous and not forget/do something to prevent.

* It was much hotter than we planned for on a trip to Turkey -- we bought short-sleeved cotton 'safari' shirts in a tourist/truck-stop. NEVER WORE THEM AGAIN once home! But we'd run out of shirts to wear.

* The carry-on-only, wear shirts 2x, pants 3 or 4x -- backfires in Costa Rica or Thailand, where the heat and humidity keeps you from wanting to wear that shirt another day. Fortunately we had (1) one hotel with A/C to help dry handwash in CR, and a two-day stay in a place with overnight laundry in T-land.

Those were all land trips. I have recently (maybe even in this thread) realized that for cruises, rather than hand-washing and drip-drying all.the.things that can't risk ship's laundering, which is all my things -- THEY CAN BE DRY-CLEANED. This may be an odd epiphany, but WOW, it represents a few hours on a TransAtlantic/Mediterranean cruise. I'll still rinse out undies/socks, but the funny thing is, for larger items -- the prices are not much above city dry-cleaners.

We use packing cubes and pack some of each of our clothes in each suitcase..so fill a packing cube with a couple of outfits and put it in the others' bag . In case one bag is lost that person has a couple of outfits to wear. Also always pack bathing suits and shorts and flip flops and medications in the carry on bag. We have Forgotten chargers before and now always bring extras.

I left my passport sitting on our oven during one of our last cruises. We live in Ohio and left very early for the airport. As we went through TSA I went to grab my passport and only had my wife's.We checked everywhere in the car the shuttle and no Passport. No time to drive an hour back and still catch the plane and or cruise. So I thought that they could pull up my picture from customs since we had been on a cruise three weeks earlier. We get to the ship and explain my problem and they very calmly say, no Passport or birth certificate equals no cruise. (Panic sets in now!) We ended up calling a friend who had a key and he drove to our house and found my birth certificate, took a picture of it and sent a text and they took that.:) When we got home I found the passport on my oven, my camera bag had fallen over and my passport had slid out and was the same color as my oven, at 3:45 am. So believe me it's the first thing I check now.

I always keep my filled toiletries bag, lanyard, clothespins, yellow marker, and a few magnets in my suitcase, so these critical things are already in the bag when I begin to pack for a cruise or land trip.

I used to have a list on the computer, but now I just handwrite one out a few weeks prior to packing, or keep a list of things I need to get/not forget on my Notes page on my phone. My biggest fear is forgetting my passport, but so far, so good!

The hardest thing for me to pack is shoes. I have big feet and shoes take up so much space.

My bestie forgot her camera charger on a cruise a couple of years ago and had to rely on me and my iphone for photos. It's a good thing I did a good job.... :)

I hear you on shoes! And yet I do not go along with the gazillions of tip-articles that say "wear your bulkiest pair" because my walking shoes are hard(er) to get off at security check points AND on the plane assuming we're flying in at least one direction and sometimes both. So we wear slip-ons that will also be useful on the ship, and pack lace-up walking shoes. I pack them FULL of socks (if you don't like the thought of clean socks in your sweaty shoes, you can put them in sandwich baggies first) and make them the first thing in the suitcase, on the wheel end of carry-on-sized bag, in shoebags.

We do not take formal-wear including no extra shoes. On a Panama cruise I have and will again, make room for a pair of sandals that pack heel-to-toe nested and flat.

Part of my fare is that HAL (FedEx) is picking up 2 suitcases which are being shipped to the port so I will only have 1 duffle and a carry-on with meds, jewelry, computer, etc.

HAL doesn't ship to our airport, so we use Fed-Ex. So much easier than worrying about luggage claim. Last time, we used LuggageFree to go up to Quebec City, and they needed a list of everything we were sending through them. When it came time to pack our carry-ons, that hassle of making the list paid off, because it was just a matter of looking up what I'd already sent. We had something similar, we called them a couple/three weeks early, and they wanted our list the very next day. They picked it up early the next week, because they were worried about customs delays. They did have us pack some of the questionable items in a separate case. And a lot of items, were on the do not ship list: tide sink packs, any medicine, no food, etc. All original containers, no go toobs, and of course the original containers were full sized, which created another problem.

Once we forgot DH's dress shirts, and they had some extras in the ship's store (on Royal Caribbean). Once the ship's laundry took longer than expected to get our laundry back, and we had to get some extra underwear from the store.

Like others, we have a bunch of stuff we take that we never know what we'll need. But we always need about a third of the stuff we always take, but never know which we'll need. Take Depends, after Norovirus and the horrible generic underpants we got from medical, we always pack a few. Well the last cruise, we both needed them! Usually, they just sit in the suitcase.

Once DH ripped his jacket during embarkation, and fortunately we could buy another on the ship.

Once, I forgot one of my custom orthotic insoles, just slipped out of the shoe These are the ones where the doctor used to take a mold and send them off. I picked up something at Walgreens that got me through. These days, we try to get a pre-cruise hotel near a drug store.

Once the taxi went to the same street, wrong city. So, we dumped our stuff in the car and had to drive to the airport.

Edited by knittinggirl

As I am packing for a long cruise against my lists, do wonder what important thing I may have forgotten.

Had a good friend totally surprise his new wife with a 5-day trip to the Bahamas. He picked her up at work and drove directly to the airport then pulled their bags from the trunk and her passport from his pocket. He did pack 3 of her bikinis - but only the bottoms as he forgot the tops and she did go to dinner in flip flops ....

Thought it may be fun to share your story about forgetting an important item.

Maybe forgetting the tops was a hint;)

Not a cruise but DH was scheduled to meet me at an historical costuming convention some years ago. I left his Prince Albert prepped and hanging in my closet, assuming he would bring his tuxedo shirt recently gifted to him by one of the other guys, and which he wore the previous year.

He arrived at our room and started to dress. He had a funny look on his face. He had grabbed my white lab coat which had been hanging near his suit. He had to borrow from someone else.

I normally do the coordination and first round of packing. DH packs his own personal stuff. Then he goes through and rearranges stuff (& deletes some with mutual agreement). He's really good with arranging things spacially).

I forgot to double check my husbands pockets and his wallet with his drivers license had fallen out (luckly we found them at home when we returned). It didn't affect the cruise and he had his passport but it meant I had to drive home myself, without any help from him.

What a saga knitting girl.....

We've been on a lot of trips. And eventually, the weird stuff happens.

I forgot to double check my husbands pockets and his wallet with his drivers license had fallen out (luckly we found them at home when we returned). It didn't affect the cruise and he had his passport but it meant I had to drive home myself, without any help from him.

DH had to drive me the whole way back from Louisville to Texas when I ended up with Bells Palsy. Definitely, not a way to end a trip.

Edited by knittinggirl