Empress of the Seas Details

Garavar

So let's talk details about Empress of the Seas. Any Royal faithfuls ever sail on her? What's she like? Anything special about her you wish to share?

What kind of class ship is she? Obviously not Souvergn.

Anyone have old RCL Deckplans?

I am excited for a small ship, can't wait for her return.

We did an 11 night cruise on her. She was a great little ship even back then. Very few balcony rooms though and I think our inside cabin was a whopping 108 sq ft. Not even room for a chair, just a bench seat in front of a tiny vanity. Three steps into the room and there was the bed.

However it was one of our best cruises ever. The ship could dock at smaller ports and there was in intimate atmosphere. Not sure I'd do an inside cabin on her again though. That's smaller then my walk in closet now.

Would love to cruise on her again. The big ships are great but variety is the spice of life!

Edited by cruiselvr04

Can't say from personal experience on the Empress, but my grandfather cruised her a few times as Nordic Empress. He always liked it over the Sovereign class ships. Like the Sovereign class, there's just suites that have balconies (so far as we know, Royal could be adding more...) Royal used to have a cutaway graphic of the Empress, I think I have one in my cruise book. Might be able to find it online.

I, for one, am going to book her as soon as she get's available, sometime after she sets into her regular schedule post May. (stupid graduation!)

Taking a look at it, if they were to add balconies, they'd only be able to attach them at maximum to 58 cabins on deck 8. That doesn't explain the increase in passengers, however.

Also assuming the crew number remains the same (668) and the passengers go up to 2,005, that's 2,673. Judging by this from 2001 her occupancy was already upped by 200 between then and now. A check of pictures shows she only received 4 new lifeboats, the tenders. How much do they hold? Unless I am mistaken, there's supposed to be enough rigid lifeboats to hold everyone on board, the inflatables ect. are just auxiliary safety. Seems like max capacity at build was ~2300 passengers, but that accounts for all staterooms that had room for three & four in them.

Pulmantur's site seems to indicate there are staterooms with balconies. However, I thought there were no balconies when Empress was with Royal. Am I wrong in my recollection, or did Pulmantur add balconies?

Honeymooned on this ship. Was called Nordic Empress then. Always heard that it was bad luck to change the name of a ship. ⛴⛴

Same here - back in 1998. Also heard it was back luck to rename a ship. but I also heard ti was bad luck to bring a banana on a ship and there's been tons on every cruise I've been on.

Same here - back in 1998. Also heard it was back luck to rename a ship. but I also heard ti was bad luck to bring a banana on a ship and there's been tons on every cruise I've been on.

With all the ships that get renamed in the cruise industry that's a lot of bad luck. Ships routinely get renamed when they go from one company to another. I think more's being made of it than there really is - there's next to no hesitancy to change the name of a ship. Look at Carnival, for instance, who recently renamed Carnival Destiny to Carnival Sunshine.

So let's talk details about Empress of the Seas. Any Royal faithfuls ever sail on her? What's she like? Anything special about her you wish to share?

What kind of class ship is she? Obviously not Souvergn.

Anyone have old RCL Deckplans?

I am excited for a small ship, can't wait for her return.

She's a one-off in a unique class unto herself. So no, not a Sovereign.

I just hope no one puts the bananas in a bowl next to the ketchup and mayo.

What a grand way to ruin a ship!

Isn't that what happened to Quantum on the TA to NY, or was it Oasis after drydock?:confused: I can't remeber, but looking at the "fate" of the Quantum Class I'd say it was her and not Oasis. :p

Isn't that what happened to Quantum on the TA to NY, or was it Oasis after drydock?:confused: I can't remeber, but looking at the "fate" of the Quantum Class I'd say it was her and not Oasis. :p

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44515119#post44515119

Neither! It was Allure! The ship of the devil himself!

The insanity of it happening in the first place really puts one off the feed.

Pulmantur's site seems to indicate there are staterooms with balconies. However, I thought there were no balconies when Empress was with Royal. Am I wrong in my recollection, or did Pulmantur add balconies?

We had a balcony in 2002. Obviously the ship or line didn't impress us. We never returned to Royal for 6 more years. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44515119#post44515119

Neither! It was Allure! The ship of the devil himself!

The insanity of it happening in the first place really puts one off the feed.

I think RCI learned from their past mistakes and will never let those dreaded bananas come within 1000 feet of the ketchup and mayo again.