Cost Cutting Gone To Far

We expect to "jump ship" to Celebrity in Feb 2017. It will be our first cruise not on Royal, though still in the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We like Celebrity and hope you enjoy your first Celebrity Cruise. We will be sailing on the Eclipse for 14 nights 3 April 2016. Can't wait. Anyway if you haven't already you may want to Cruise on over to the Celebrity Forum and read the thread called "The good ole' days?". Some very interesting observation's from some loyal Celebrity Cruisers.

Edited by davekathy

The omelet station must be ship specific. On Freedom they had the egg and omelet station in the center of the two buffet lines, I thought it worked much better as a separate station like they have on Voyager class. However, they had a lot of pre-made omelets and eggs (which the last time I was on a Voyager class they didn't) so the wait time was minimal as long as you were okay with not having a made to order omelet, which I am as I usually just get peppers and onions which they had plenty of waiting most mornings.

Personally I'm okay with them cost cutting on food. 5 course dinners down to 3, and fewer choices in the Windjammer. However I would expect quality to rise since there are fewer dishes to prepare and this hasn't happened.

Unfortunately "cost cutting" isn't RCCL's fault, it is ours the collective consumers. While we may be loyal to Royal, that loyalty has a limit. If Royal went back to the 5 course meals and the better quality buffets of the past and just kept their profit margins the same they would price themselves out of a lot of "Loyal to Royal" customers. We would move to Carnival with statements such as, "The food is horrid compared to Royal, but...."; "The service is horrid compared to Royal, but..."

Yes, RCCL makes a lot of money, the cold hard truth is that is what they are in business for, not to provide us a vacation. They just have to find that balance between profits and filling their ships. 104% occupancy rates tells me, and probably them that they could cut a few things a bit more and make more profits until that occupancy drops to 100%.

Unfortunately this is pretty accurate.

2. Chicken necks and backs on the windjammer buffet, can we have some legs and thighs please. I grabbed an unspecific part off the lunch buffet one day. After determining it was not a part I wanted or tasted like anything I wanted, discarded it. Went back the next and was digging for a leg, thigh, wing or normal part. there were NONE! Necks for everyone. I don't remember the specific name for this dish but it was some type of rotisserie chicken.

Perhaps you haven't seen the latest ad campaign. Those weren't chicken necks, those were ROYAL chicken necks!

I had to look up cooked chicken necks... I have seen cooked turkey necks before but never heard of anyone cooking the chickens....fried is the way to go I guess, HAHA

[ATTACH]371199[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]371200[/ATTACH]

:D

Oh...yum..yum!! :eek: :p

Yes, I am loyal to royal. Yes, I have my next two cruises booked. But here are some changes I would like to see reversed and fast. From my November 20th Enchantment of the Seas Cruise. Yes, I filled out my survey and no one bothered to contact me. I have been on Enchantment out of PC 5 times. The buffet and food has taken a big hit.

1. Fried Egg Station instead of omelet station in the Windjammer for breakfast. No wait for the Fried Egg? I wonder why? Yes people have to wait for the omelet station. Find ways to make it faster or add more egg cooks. Don't take away the best part of the windjammer breakfast.

2. Chicken necks and backs on the windjammer buffet, can we have some legs and thighs please. I grabbed an unspecific part off the lunch buffet one day. After determining it was not a part I wanted or tasted like anything I wanted, discarded it. Went back the next and was digging for a leg, thigh, wing or normal part. there were NONE! Necks for everyone. I don't remember the specific name for this dish but it was some type of rotisserie chicken.

3. No sugar free cookies anywhere on board the entire weekend.

4. No Late night nachos with chili in the Park Cafe. (Only pizza and hot dogs)

My steward was probably the best I have had in years. I didn't get late dinner as I had requested. My Time was okay, but I didn't like the corner they stuck us in. They moved us the third night at our request.

My goal for posting is to hope that RC sees that its loyal customers think they are cutting too much. Cut wait time, cut processes don't cut quality. We Loyal to Royal have high expectations. I don't think anyone expects chicken necks on the buffet.

Thanks for the warning. Was just about to book a February cruise on Enchantment at a good price.

However, how many times have you seen a stadium on television that is even 60% empty?

Not to say that the rest of your point is not true, but on this part, the NFL will impose a media blackout if the venue doesn't sell between 85-100% of the stadium out depending on the market. So, there might be stadiums that are 60% empty, but you won't see them on television if it's your local team, because television won't be allowed to broadcast it.

Other sports have similar though less draconian media policies.

Ive asked questions in the survey or left a comment requesting a call back and they have never called.

It is become clear they dont read the survey after harping completing it.

I got a call back after I filled out an Enchantment survey. Lovely conversation. Went over my entire survey

Not to say that the rest of your point is not true, but on this part, the NFL will impose a media blackout if the venue doesn't sell between 85-100% of the stadium out depending on the market. So, there might be stadiums that are 60% empty, but you won't see them on television if it's your local team, because television won't be allowed to broadcast it.

As you noted, this is only a local blackout, not a nation wide or world wide blackout. And the reference was to a stadium (not to a NFL stadium).

Edited by Cuizer2

I avoided most of the chicken in the WJ for the opposite reason to the OP. It all seemed to be drumsticks or wings. Then my favourite chicken dish is feet, but I doubt they would have the call for that on a cruise. There were so many other options it did not bother me at all. There was also some sort of egg station but they had a supply of soft poached eggs in the buffet, so that was fine.

On one of the first breakfasts in the MDR they had kippers on the menu. I ordered that and it was good when it came. There was a delay and they apologised as they had to get them from elsewhere on the ship. A couple of days later I ordered them again but was told they were not available. They seemed to be always on the menu but I was told not many people order them. Not a big deal, I must have had the last kipper.

I got a call back after I filled out an Enchantment survey. Lovely conversation. Went over my entire survey

John, I'm sure with your reputation that if you wrote to the President he (or she) would personally return your call. I'll bet the "Most Interesting Man in the World" has you on speed dial. :)

We are on Celebrity Silohuette right now, doing the second leg of a b2b. We did a b2b on the Allure. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. This is our last cruise. We, the consumer, decide quality levels and value for our travel dollar. After 35 cruises, and 403 days at sea, we have determined that none of the cruise lines currently meet our criteria. The first 30 were excellent, the last 5, not so much. We will take our $10,000 annual travel budget and go back to land travel. It might not be the best financial decision, but the enjoyment factor will more than make up for it.

John, I'm sure with your reputation that if you wrote to the President he (or she) would personally return your call. I'll bet the "Most Interesting Man in the World" has you on speed dial. :)

Don't make me change my avatar again.

Spoke with Anisah, and then I had to fill out a survey on my experience with her and the Post Cruise Customer Service Team.

Edited by John&LaLa

Yes, I am loyal to royal. Yes, I have my next two cruises booked. But here are some changes I would like to see reversed and fast. From my November 20th Enchantment of the Seas Cruise. Yes, I filled out my survey and no one bothered to contact me. I have been on Enchantment out of PC 5 times. The buffet and food has taken a big hit.

1. Fried Egg Station instead of omelet station in the Windjammer for breakfast. No wait for the Fried Egg? I wonder why? Yes people have to wait for the omelet station. Find ways to make it faster or add more egg cooks. Don't take away the best part of the windjammer breakfast.

3. No sugar free cookies anywhere on board the entire weekend.

4. No Late night nachos with chili in the Park Cafe. (Only pizza and hot dogs)

My steward was probably the best I have had in years. I didn't get late dinner as I had requested. My Time was okay, but I didn't like the corner they stuck us in. They moved us the third night at our request.

My goal for posting is to hope that RC sees that its loyal customers think they are cutting too much. Cut wait time, cut processes don't cut quality. We Loyal to Royal have high expectations. I don't think anyone expects chicken necks on the buffet.

Chicken necks....give me a break.....:rolleyes:

Grandgeezer: totally agree. We are doing the same thing.

Chili's has way better food and service than what we had on oasis.

Could not understand the loud animations on three nights in the Mdr to cheer for the food and service.

No, thanks.

And as you said: freedom of choice.

We are on Celebrity Silohuette right now, doing the second leg of a b2b. We did a b2b on the Allure. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. This is our last cruise. We, the consumer, decide quality levels and value for our travel dollar. After 35 cruises, and 403 days at sea, we have determined that none of the cruise lines currently meet our criteria. The first 30 were excellent, the last 5, not so much. We will take our $10,000 annual travel budget and go back to land travel. It might not be the best financial decision, but the enjoyment factor will more than make up for it.

We're getting close to that point ourselves. We have a cruise planned for April and then we may take a break. We have always taken land vacations along with our cruises, so it might not be that big of a change for us.

Actually, that rule went away with this season per the NFL because there were no games subject to the blackout rule during the 2014 season. But even when the rule was in place, ESPN and other sports outlets showed "highlight" and game recaps. So even if the game was blacked out you will still had a chance to see less than full stadiums.

Thanks for the warning. Was just about to book a February cruise on Enchantment at a good price.

That is the dilemma - people want exceptional quality and an exceptional price at the same time. Something has to give.

Could not understand the loud animations on three nights in the Mdr to cheer for the food and service.

No, thanks.

And as you said: freedom of choice.

The crew is actually the source of these animations. They get on the microphone and work the crowd up to cheer for something in part due to social pressure.

Your bottom line is correct. RCCL isn't forcing anyone to book a cruise. If you don't like their value proposition, try something else.

My last two weren't with Royal, and my next two aren't either, even though Royal has for many years been my line of choice. I just think they don't offer enough differentiation to justify their higher prices. Maybe Oasis/Allure, or even Quantum and Anthem, but certainly not any of the older ships when talking about "regular" repeat itineraries. Having branched out to other lines I unfortuantely have to rank Royal's food at the bottom (although I think it is still good, it doesn't measure up to other lines).

Their stock price is super healthy, they are flush with cash, and pumping ships out. So I doubt they care what I think and probably haven't noticed my lack of recent bookings.

I still do find that when newbies ask me for a cruise line it is easiest to recommend RCI's big ships because you do know you will get a nice ship with good entertainment and decent overall value.

So when someone asks you what cruise line is best.....do you tell them "Gee, I used to cruise on Royal but now I cruise on ____________, but for you, I suggest RCI/Royal" ? I know I am confused as to why you would suggest a cruise line you seem to no longer be cruising on, very much?

So when someone asks you what cruise line is best.....do you tell them "Gee, I used to cruise on Royal but now I cruise on ____________, but for you, I suggest RCI/Royal" ? I know I am confused as to why you would suggest a cruise line you seem to no longer be cruising on, very much?

He said he liked Oasis and that is what he would reccomend

........"I only demand the BEST".................(and I don't want to pay for it!)............Try a higher end cruise line BUT you may have to PAY for that..............You don't buy a Chevy and expect a Rolls...................:rolleyes:

When we pay for a Lexus we don't expect a Rolls. But, we don't expect to get a Chevy either.

Been loyal to Royal - have a cruise booked in 5 days and another in March - but if the experience deteriorates to the point that it is not worth the price - we'll take your advice and cruise less often on a 'Rolls'.