decisions decisions!

akacake

My mother and I are booking a Caribbean cruise for March. My mom is paying :) and wants to do the longest one for the best price that has a balcony. I am worried about the intinerary...Ive done a western Caribbean before and wasn't fond of Jamaica, and not fond of Mexican ports. Puerto Limon is also not a nice port, I spent 5 weeks near there last year, very dirty :( My mom just did a Panama Canal cruise last year so doesn't want to do the same this year.

Would you pick a shorter cruise, 10 days, over a 14 day (2 back to back). The 10 days has a fantastic itinerary but costs more than the 14 day with a so-so itinerary.

My mom wants me to book this now so we can get our return airfare organized. We are booked already to start a cruise no earlier than March 12th, 2016

Thanks for the input

If it's about the ports then the 10 night sounds right. If it's about the shipboard experience, cost and days at sea then the B2B 14 night would be the choice.

Having said that, Mom's buying. If someone wants to take me on a cruise I'm all about it without a care of where it goes:)

Haven't had a bad cruise yet regardless of the itinerary.

Hope you have a great trip whatever the choice is.

Charlie

I would pick a B2B for a Southern Caribbean cruise. I know on Celebrity Summit it has 2 different itineraries so the only port that is a duplicate is St.Thomas. I don't know if other lines also have different itineraries when doing B2B.

Look at the March 17 Oasis of the Seas for 9 nights - balcony costs the same as ocean view! This is an AMAZING ship with good ports!

There is also a March 12 Carnival Breeze for 8 nights including ports such as Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao and Aruba. This is cheaper. I am just off this ship and enjoyed the violin trio from Spain performing modern music in the Atrium especially - they should be headliners as they are amazing! Ship is very new. We got spa passes - worth it!

There is also a 14 night HAL Eurodam to Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Key West, Ft. Lauderdale, Turks and Caicos, San Juan, St. Maarten, and again to Half Moon Cay, Bahamas - roundtrip FLL on March 13. That's a really good itinerary, IMO.

or

HAL Niew Amsterdam round trip FLL - Turks and Caicos, San Juan, St Thomas, Half Moon Cay, Fort Lauderdale, Half Moon Cay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Key West, Fort Lauderdale also on March 13.

The above seem to be the best options. Give them some consideration and see what you think.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Akacake, is the 10 dayer one of the Coral/Island routes? Other than one Celebrity sailing, that's the only westerns I see with Puerto Limon as a port. And as Suite Traveler has pointed out, there are several longer trips (14) in a balcony for less total cost available, although they are east-west combos if that makes a difference.

My mother and I are booking a Caribbean cruise for March. My mom is paying :) and wants to do the longest one for the best price that has a balcony. I am worried about the intinerary...Ive done a western Caribbean before and wasn't fond of Jamaica, and not fond of Mexican ports. Puerto Limon is also not a nice port, I spent 5 weeks near there last year, very dirty :( My mom just did a Panama Canal cruise last year so doesn't want to do the same this year.

Would you pick a shorter cruise, 10 days, over a 14 day (2 back to back). The 10 days has a fantastic itinerary but costs more than the 14 day with a so-so itinerary.

My mom wants me to book this now so we can get our return airfare organized. We are booked already to start a cruise no earlier than March 12th, 2016

Thanks for the input[/]

I think you would both enjoy a Southern Caribbean itinerary.

Edited by NMLady

The 10 day is on the Royal Princess, goes to the Bahamas, US Virgin Islands, Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts. ALL new ports for me.

The 14 day is on either HAL Nieuw Amsterdam: Grand Turk, Puerto Rico,US Virgin Islands,Bahamas, Fort Lauderdale, Bahamas,Grand Cayman, Cozumel,Key West. I have been to Key West, Grand Turk and Grand Cayman ( loved them) and I have been to Cozumel...it was so~so

the other 14 day is on HAL Eurodam: Bahamas,Ocho Rios,Grand Cayman,Key West, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, St Maarten, Grand Turk.

The only port I don't care for is Ocho Rios on this itinerary.

My mom hasn't been to any of these ports.

so it comes down to Princess and HAL...Ive been on both lines but not these particular ships.

Have you considered the 14 night Celebrity Ecilpse Southern Caribbean? I don't know if you have seen this and thought it too expensive. Celebrity cruises often come with drinks packages so do a mock booking before ruling it out...

I think 10 nights is MORE than enough....I was ready for it to be over on night 8....tired of the same food........the selections have been so reduced, that meals became redundant.....

On our HAL 15 day cruise last month, there was plenty of variety in the food and I was NOT ready to get off the ship!!!