Do you Dress for Dinner?

Jeff&Mel

Hello,

I did do a search for this topic and didn't find anything.

We cruise in 8 days. This is our 6th cruise but it is our first cruise to the Caribbean. Our previous cruises have been in Europe.

I do love to dress up for dinner.

I am wondering how many of you do the same? Just curious :)

Thanks in advance :)

Dress how you want; if you are wearing something that conforms to at least the minimum suggested dress code, you will be fine. I don't think it really matters what others are doing (no offense). :) The Caribbean tends to be casual; you will see many sundresses and capris for ladies.

:) I am sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear. I am dressing up for dinner- I always do :)

In Europe it is pretty much the norm that people dress for dinner- I was just wondering if people do the same sailing out of the U.S. to the Caribbean? :)

We always dress according to the suggested attire, yet we are not dressing as formal as we did a few years ago. As long as one is nicely dressed for dinner, that is what is important. If your cruising the Caribbean or Hawaiian Islands people tend to be more casual then if doing a Europe or New England cruise in our experience.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

You do have to trip over all the tipping threads to get to the dressing threads on CC - they are not that hard to find.

Dress as you normally would - you'll just be at the better dressed end of the scale.

HaHA:D I won't :)

I am only bringing cocktail dresses for the formal nights for this cruise.... I hope I won't be under dressed!

Cocktail dresses will be fine for formal nights. DW always wears cocktail dresses, and I wear my tux. That is just what we like to wear, and it is not for the photos. We have not had any photos, other than the one they take for our seapass card, taken onboard for years. We try to avoid the photographers at all costs.

You will see a wide range of dress, but many do follow the suggested dress.

Yes we dress nicely for dinner on all nights.

DH wears chinos and a long sleeve sport shirt, either plain or printed.

I wear a dress except for the first and last night, then it is capris with a nice top. For formal nights, I wear a cocktail dress and DH will wear his tux.

We dress because we like to feel good and get out of jeans and casual wear.

If by "dressing up" you mean, do I wear a tuxedo? The answer would be, no I do not. My name is not "Lord Grantham" and furthermore I do not belong to a country club, have never belonged to a country club, do not wish to belong to a country club, nor do I want to pretend that I belong to a country club.

That being said and for those who concern themselves with such, I do wear a dress shirt, tie, blazer, nice slacks and shined shoes on the so-called formal nights. On other nights I wear a shirt with a collar and long pants. I have never worn a hat or wife beater shirt in the MDR not do I wear shorts in the evening.

We do dress up for formal nights (only time I ever wear my tux) because we enjoy it and use that opportunity for a nice family picture. You'll find a lot of threads here with people complaining about the lack of formal wear on formal nights. My experience is that quite a few men wear a tux, suit, or sport coat. I've also seen many military dress uniforms and even dressy kilts (seems like one on every ship). The ship does have a nice "buzz" on formal nights and if you want to dress up, you certainly will not be out of place. I'm sure there are others who aren't dressed formally but that doesn't bother me and I don't really notice. Other nights are "smart casual" as others have suggested and I will usually wear long pants and a collared shirt. I did completely forget to pack long pants on my last cruise and wore dressy shorts. I was a little concerned about being out of place, but no one said a word or even looked twice at me. Enjoy your cruise!

Hello,

We cruise in 8 days. This is our 6th cruise but it is our first cruise to the Caribbean. Our previous cruises have been in Europe.

I do love to dress up for dinner.

I am wondering how many of you do the same? Just curious :)

Thanks in advance :)

We love to dress up still!! It's part of the fun of cruising in our opinion! My hubby wears a tux for formal night and I usually wear a long gown. It's fun! Have a great cruise! We cruise in 19 days!