I'm so over Half Moon Cay!

Slarty

We've only been there once. It was OK, but I wasn't thrilled. Better than Princess's private island (6 or 7 years ago). It was disappointing that a lot of the shopping was the same $10 stuff they put out at the pool. We've had stops at Grand Turk on a few cruises, and liked that better.

This time we will be sharing the island with another ship, so we decided not to bother getting off. I thought we'd have a quiet day on board. After reading how many posters here stay on board for HMC, I'm wondering how quiet the ship will be?!? :rolleyes:

I've never known the pinnacle to be open the day of hmc. It's been closed for every cruise I've been on. I rarely eat at hmc so I'm always looking for an alternate place to eat. The pinnacle has not been a choice available.

While I still enjoy hmc I wish they would get rid of grand Cayman.

The Pinnacle servers often provide butler service to the cabanas. I've never seen the PG open on HMC day.

Half Moon Cay is a really, really nice private island. It's consistently rated at or near the top of all cruise line islands. We live, quite literally, on the nicest, widest, most private part of Fort Lauderdale Beach and we still like HMC. I'm not sure how jaded you have to be to get annoyed at the pirate ship. You might be veering into "Princess and the Pea" territory. :)

We've only been there once. It was OK, but I wasn't thrilled. Better than Princess's private island (6 or 7 years ago). It was disappointing that a lot of the shopping was the same $10 stuff they put out at the pool. We've had stops at Grand Turk on a few cruises, and liked that better.

This time we will be sharing the island with another ship, so we decided not to bother getting off. I thought we'd have a quiet day on board. After reading how many posters here stay on board for HMC, I'm wondering how quiet the ship will be?!? :rolleyes:

We were on HMC earlier this month on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Zuiderdam was also there. I was also concerned that with two ships in port that it would be crowded and busy. It wasn't at all. We honestly didn't notice any difference, except maybe for more chairs on the beach.

I think a lot of people stay on board while at HMC. It took us a little while to fill the first tender. But, we love HMC. It just feels like a piece of paradise and is the perfect example of what the Caribbean should be, imo.

Have been to HMC many times and we still love it...the best is having the Grand Oasis...some of the best days on a cruise we've ever had:) But we have also been lucky...never been when there are multiple ships...and weather has always cooperated with us...

I am another one who would be fine if they did away with Grand Cayman...don't like tendering in there at all...HMC is much easier and has never been too rough...I can remember cruises when we couldn't get to Grand Cayman...I would happily stay on the ship while visiting there.

Granted the BBQ at HMC is not the best...been there with Carnival and Hal..but I love feeding all those chickens:D

Granted the BBQ at HMC is not the best...been there with Carnival and Hal..but I love feeding all those chickens:D

We love feeding the chickens too. On our last cruise, a chicken wandered down to the beach and wasn't too fond of my apple. He pecked at my toe instead. Made me jump. :D I always tell my DW that the critters take one look at me and see an all you can eat buffet.

We also enjoy feeding the fish. I know, just great big kids, that's all we are. :)

Edited by cbr663

Have been to HMC many times and we still love it...the best is having the Grand Oasis...some of the best days on a cruise we've ever had:) But we have also been lucky...never been when there are multiple ships...and weather has always cooperated with us...

I am another one who would be fine if they did away with Grand Cayman...don't like tendering in there at all...HMC is much easier and has never been too rough...I can remember cruises when we couldn't get to Grand Cayman...I would happily stay on the ship while visiting there.

We have missed HMC quite a few times because of rough seas and/or rain.

Our first time we were to be at HMC was many years ago on a South American cruise. Missed it -- rough seas. Out luck didn't change for the next few cruises -- stilled missed it.

Our first time there -- no clam shells -- just lounge chairs and umbrellas. Food was better back then.

We also have grown a bit tired of HMC and sometimes stay onboard for the peace and quiet, especially if we have a Thermal Spa pass or a nice balcony of our own.

Last cruise we spent one hour on the beach, then did the Sting Ray excursion (well worth the money). Afterwards we headed back to the ship for lunch (we are not fond of the one on the island) and relaxing on our balcony. Great day!

We have missed HMC quite a few times because of rough seas and/or rain.

Our first time we were to be at HMC was many years ago on a South American cruise. Missed it -- rough seas. Out luck didn't change for the next few cruises -- stilled missed it.

Our first time there -- no clam shells -- just lounge chairs and umbrellas. Food was better back then.

I have always felt very lucky...we've never missed HMC due to weather...I would have been so disappointed...I guess over the years we've been 10 times...I'm sure not as many times as you've been....our first visit was probably 2005...on the Maasdam. It has always been a magical place to me....I know the Pirate Ship and two story cabanas take something away from it..but our last two visits were at the Grand Oasis...so we were not bothered...we were in our own little paradise within a paradise!!

As with many and a growing crowd I might add, HMC lost it's allure long ago and we always stay on board. Used to be very quiet aboard and you just about had the ship to yourself. Not anymore as I would estimate that about half now stay aboard at HMC.

It's always so incredibly busy there. I don't enjoy places with wall to wall people. Tendering there has been difficult on my cruises.

I believe there were 7 ships in port (3 at our pier) when we were there a few weeks ago. But my SIL walked down to the car rental, picked up our van then came back for DW, DD, grandkids and me and we got out of town quickly. Avoided Hell, Turtle Farm and other "crazy tourist" places. The port itself was busy (I must have said, "no, I don't want a taxi" 50 times!), but bearable for the 15 minutes we were there.

The first couple of times it was fun. Great beach. Service good. Water cold (in winter months). New island-based tenders helped.

I don't even go onshore now. Just stay on board and read my kindle on the balcony.

You?

It's a CARNIVAL island, from a nice place changed into a disgusting destroyed peace of nature..

Something good about HMC that I like: it's not what I call a 'captcha' port like Costa Maya or any of those other ports which are built by/for the cruise lines. Think Margaritaville with all those same shops. They have ruined not just the ambiance of the islands, but also their economies, since hardly any cruisers venture beyond into the towns and spend their money in the locally owned shops.

Personally, I like spending my money in local stores where the islanders get to keep their profits, instead of the corporate giants! I just will not frequent them when on my vacation.

Just my thoughts.

Donna

We love HMC. We have been there many times and always enjoy it. I like the fact that it's quiet, there is lots of room to spread out, the beach and water are beautiful and that it's warm and not covered in snow!

We were there 3 times on our recent B2B2B and enjoyed it each week. We used to rent a clamshell, but now we just pick any beach chair as home base, and spend hours swimming and playing in the ocean. We take a bun with us and feed the fish. Take some pics, lie in the sun, maybe eat at the beach buffet, maybe not. Twice we were there with other ships and it didn't impact our enjoyment in any way.

HMC to us is a relaxing oasis of warmth and calm away from the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives.

OK, I will be the freak and admit that I love HMC and think it is one of the most beautiful beaches. And since we get there in February we are coming out of winter in New York, so it is a little bit of heaven on earth.

2lkvhgj.jpg

I agree. What's not to love about this?

What a great photo!!

We were on Rotterdam VI on her Inaugural New Years cruise and were scheduled to stop at HMC but weather prevented that visit. We were scheduled for visits on our next 2 Caribbean cruises and missed the island again. When we finally got there, we loved it immediately. I grew up on the ocean and spent summers everyday at the beach but that beach was/is so beautiful and trying to freeze that aqua color of the water in my mind always alludes me.

We were the first people to use the first cabana built at HMC and it was a great day on one of our summer cruises.

Now there has been so much beach erosion which really saddens me, chairs are packed so close together because of possibly to very large ships being there same day, so many cabanas, the pirate bar is ugly and the whole mood of the beach is so different. It's sad for those of us who remember how pristine and unspoiled it once was but the sand is still outstanding, the water gorgeous and so clear the fish swim around our ankles and I hope to be able to spend a day there again in the near future. :)

With a photo like this, it is easy to forget about the pirate bar. :D

Something good about HMC that I like: it's not what I call a 'captcha' port like Costa Maya or any of those other ports which are built by/for the cruise lines. Think Margaritaville with all those same shops. They have ruined not just the ambiance of the islands' date=' but also their economies, since hardly any cruisers venture beyond into the towns and spend their money in the locally owned shops.

Personally, I like spending my money in local stores where the islanders get to keep their profits, instead of the corporate giants! I just will not frequent them when on my vacation.

Just my thoughts.

Donna[/quote']

I don't know but suspect(strongly) Grand Turk is more than happy with the investment Carnival Corp. made building the pier, the whole compound and undoubtedly jobs were created when building and maintaining the facilities, and one would guess there may be some 'sharing of the profits' in their agreement. But, I get your point......

I don't knocking Half Moon or any other island.

A day on board while at anchor can be a great day too. The deck is quiet. Plenty of deck chairs. Best of all.... a quiet lunch in Pinnacle Grill.... like your own private yacht!

Now your'e talking, Stephen. My kind of thing. I feel HMC is very over rated.

We do love HMC but sometimes we get off for an hour or so and sometimes not. It's a nice place to walk on the beach (peaceful and tropical).

We have rented a cabana (not worth the price IMO) & clamshells but we usually just spend a little time walking around, walking on the beach and then back to the ship. We had rather eat on the ship than the barbeque.