I'm so over Half Moon Cay!

Slarty

We are not big beach people, but always look forward to HMC. We like the fact that no one comes to try to sell you anything, you can go for a walk and feel safe both on the beach and on the island, chairs are free, water is crystal clear, and beach sand so white and fine. It is just a relaxing day!

You summed it up perfectly. It sometimes feels like your own private oasis, that you just happen to share with a few hundred friends. We feel safe there, and we are not traditionally beach people, but at HMC, I can't get my DW out of the water.

We couldn't care less about the pirate ship, shopping or cabanas. Those things are all behind you when you are on the glorious beach.

Cruising the Caribbean is about much more than beaches, though. Still, why do you feel the need to tell people what to do? Why do you feel we should all think alike?

I don't think that's what happened. I believe the comment was in direct response to being told to "do more cruising" by the op.

I don't think that's what happened. I believe the comment was in direct response to being told to "do more cruising" by the op.

That was an odd comment by the op. I've got over 400 days on ships. I still like hmc. Right now it's -14 c and we have about a foot snow on the ground. I'd kill to be on hmc right now.

Add me to the group that still loves HMC (after a dozen or so stops there) and isn't ashamed to admit it. My spouse and I are not sun-beach-and-water people but have always enjoyed our visits to HMC, both for what it is and for what it is not. The fact that some people choose to stay on board during HMC visits actually makes for a more pleasant time for those of us who can still find great enjoyment in a quiet, relaxing day at the beach. My only "complaint" is that parasailing is no longer offered as a shore excursion on HMC. :)

I've never been there (first booking there is Konigsdam. I think people have mentioned staying on the ship. I think all my private island visits so far have been either Labadee or Cocoa Cay with Royal Caribbean and my recollection is that on visits there the culinary staff goes ashore to prepare lunch there, and there is little or nothing to eat on the ship. What onboard lunch options does HAL offer at HMC?

Roy

I've never been there (first booking there is Konigsdam. I think people have mentioned staying on the ship. I think all my private island visits so far have been either Labadee or Cocoa Cay with Royal Caribbean and my recollection is that on visits there the culinary staff goes ashore to prepare lunch there, and there is little or nothing to eat on the ship. What onboard lunch options does HAL offer at HMC?

Roy

Pretty much the lido, dive in and room service.

Roy, the Lido, Dive-In, and probably the pizza line are all open on the ship when it's anchored at HMC. Pinnacle is closed, as is (probably, I don't remember for certain) the dining room.

You can get a decent meal on board.

... What onboard lunch options does HAL offer at HMC?

Roy

Roy,

Since my spouse and I enjoy HMC so much, we have never stayed on board so I cannot tell you anything specific about the on board lunch options. However, I can tell you that IMO the HMC BBQ by itself is a good enough reason to go ashore - both the selection and quality of food is IMO excellent! So I'd highly recommend that you give HMC a try, as we've found it to be better than the other cruise ship islands we've visited.

Roy

Under normal circumstances, DH and I get off, go for a bit of a walk, enjoy HMC and then go back on the ship for lunch. We prefer it on the ship to the bbq, but that's just us.

There is plenty of food on board. Lido has had good offerings from what we have seen. There's also the trustworthy club sandwich from room service ;)

Just saying I (along with about 50% of the others that replied to this thread) am tired of almost every #FLL trip starting/ending there. Do more cruising, and maybe even you might reach that same opinion.

Do more cruising in order to get tired of places? Hmmm. Do you realize how ridiculous that advice sounds?

You do know there are several other cruise lines that go to places other than HMC, right? Perhaps the better advice is for you to try something different. It sounds a little foolish to keep booking the same cruise line out of the same embarkation port over and over and over, and then complain about where it goes.

Do more cruising in order to get tired of places? Hmmm. Do you realize how ridiculous that advice sounds?

You do know there are several other cruise lines that go to places other than HMC, right? Perhaps the better advice is for you to try something different. It sounds a little foolish to keep booking the same cruise line out of the same embarkation port over and over and over, and then complain about where it goes.

The OP mentioned one place not "places"

What is it with people telling other people what to do, because they do not agree.

The OP probably loves HAL, and their itineraries, but cares less for one of the stops. That's all.

Edited by jpelleti007

The OP mentioned one place not "places"

What is it with people telling other people what to do, because they do not agree.

The OP probably loves HAL, and their itineraries, but cares less for one of the stops. That's all.

Try to keep up jpellet007. The op told someone else to cruise more so they would get the same opinion. That was what I responded to. I was addressing the op, not you or anyone else.

Funny how you give them a pass for telling someone else what to do, yet you jump on me for giving counter advice. Typical Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

Try to keep up jpellet007. The op told someone else to cruise more so they would get the same opinion. That was what I responded to. I was addressing the op, not you or anyone else.

Funny how you give them a pass for telling someone else what to do, yet you jump on me for giving counter advice. Typical Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

The response was inaccurate with the "places" statement.

Physician heal thyself :)

Edited by jpelleti007

Thanks all (and after reviewing my compasses I think I was exaggerating how limited the food was on the Grandeur). I was just curious, I will definitely get off if we conditions allow tendering from the Konigsdam.

I wonder how many people make it to 4-star without ever seeing HMC.

Roy

I'm not tired of HMC yet....but have only been there twice. (will be there 2 more times next year, twice on one cruise). The first time we got a cabana, but were very disappointed when they started packing up our things 1 1/2 hours before we had to head back to the ship. :( It made for a very short day. The second time we did the horseback riding and loved it, I would do that again in a heartbeat.

We aren't "beach" people so I imagine one day we'll be among those who stay on the ship. I'd rather be up and doing things than sitting on a beach no matter how beautiful it is. ;)

Gina, I gotta side with you on this one. HMC is HAL's signature stop, therefore part of the brand. I could understand a little better if the complaint was always going to Nassau or something similar, but not their own destination.

.......... I still like hmc. Right now it's -14 c and we have about a foot snow on the ground. I'd kill to be on hmc right now.

Me too! As a lame substitute we have a channel from our cable tv provider that shows a sunset on either a beach in Miami or Grand Turk. With the sound of the water, you can almost feel the sun.

Not ridiculous at all. For someone who a) likes HAL and B) prefers to sail from Port Everglades, it's very sound advice.

You do know there are several other cruise lines that go to places other than HMC, right?

Now that IS ridiculous.

Thanks all (and after reviewing my compasses I think I was exaggerating how limited the food was on the Grandeur). I was just curious, I will definitely get off if we conditions allow tendering from the Konigsdam.

I wonder how many people make it to 4-star without ever seeing HMC.

Roy

Now that is thought provoking :D:p

Even on Transatlantics, there is often a stop at HMC. Whether you actually get there (because of tender issues) is another question. Overall, I suspect many have been to HMC before achieving 4*. What the percentage is though, is anyone's guess.

We have only been there a very few times and are 5*.

We still enjoy taking the day to just chill out on the beach. Like others, we've missed the stop a couple of times due to weather. It was disappointing last March, as we rented a small cabana (first time) to share with the in-laws, and we couldn't go to the island. We had one very cold visit, and the last one was fine for a few hours, then we were all drenched.

I do miss the days without the pirate ship bar and the 2-story cabanas, where you really felt it was a private paradise. Still, it's a great beach and you feel secure. We skip the BBQ. If the weather isn't great, we just head back to the ship in time to catch a snack on board.

My most memorable visit was the second one, when I broke a toe on the lounger as we were packing to return to the ship. I went to the medical office later that day, and they had already closed the books for the cruise. Sadly, they had to reopen them for my xray and "buddy taping" my toes!

Edited by Nanner

Me too! You post like you know much more than me. Are there any HA cruises out of FLL that don't waste a day in HMC?

If you're looking to try another line, Princess offers sailings that don't stop at HMC.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk