Food in MDR

ETski

I hope RCCL is reading. I have been reading many posts and reviews regarding food in the main dining room. Many have been complaining that the food is not hot and is been declining in taste and quality. I do realize that food is subjective and the line is serving masses of people. But my gosh can't they work on some of these problems. We aren't expecting gourmet food in the MDR. At least the food can come our hot and tasty. Hey I am happy not to have to cook while vacationing!!!! We cruise several lines and are hoping that our Grandeur MDR will serve us hot tasty food.

I was recently on the Allure and the first night I ate in the MDR, very disappointed with the quality, and either the plates as getting larger or the portions are getting smaller. After that I ate rest of my meals in the Windjammer, which was surprisingly good.

Edited by JamesEM

We've never had a problem with the food in either the WJ or MDR, it's always been the appropriate temperature and is usually good, sometimes excellent. There have been a few things I did not like, but that was just my taste.:D

As we were getting off of our Liberty TA a few years ago, I asked the woman behind me if she had a good cruise. She replied it was horrible as the food was totally inedible:eek:. Both my husband and I had thought the food was pretty good so I was surprised to hear her say that.

And, to be honest, she did not look like she had gone two weeks without eating. :rolleyes:

Sherri:)

I was recently on the Allure and the first night I ate in the MDR, very disappointed with the quality, and either the plates as getting larger or the portions are getting smaller. After that I ate rest of my meals in the Windjammer, which was surprisingly good.

You based an opinion of the dining room quality for the whole week being there 1 night?

We rarely have problems with the food not coming out hot. We're a bit tired of the menus, but only because we are lucky enough to be able to cruise often.

The first night menu generally is Mojo, which is my least favorite. There are many dishes that I really enjoy and sometimes picking out a specialty restaurant is difficult because there are certain nights we do not want to miss.

I did hear rumors on board both the Indy and Navigator that they are looking to change the menus again. How often does RCI generally revamp the menus? I think it has been about three years since they finalized rolling these out fleet wide. I wish there was a way to vote on what to keep, what to bring back and even what to consider.

The first night menu generally is Mojo, which is my least favorite. There are many dishes that I really enjoy and sometimes picking out a specialty restaurant is difficult because there are certain nights we do not want to miss.

I did hear rumors on board both the Indy and Navigator that they are looking to change the menus again. How often does RCI generally revamp the menus? I think it has been about three years since they finalized rolling these out fleet wide. I wish there was a way to vote on what to keep, what to bring back and even what to consider.

What is MOJO in describing the first night's menu?

I hope RCCL is reading. I have been reading many posts and reviews regarding food in the main dining room. Many have been complaining that the food is not hot and is been declining in taste and quality. I do realize that food is subjective and the line is serving masses of people. But my gosh can't they work on some of these problems. We aren't expecting gourmet food in the MDR. At least the food can come our hot and tasty. Hey I am happy not to have to cook while vacationing!!!! We cruise several lines and are hoping that our Grandeur MDR will serve us hot tasty food.

We are recently off the Vision and these were our observations exactly. We ate in the MDR every night, and sometimes for breakfast. Quality was decreased and food was often cold. Waiters were working hard but seemed overextended. The windjammer was worse. RCCL seems to be cutting corners.

I loved the food in the MDR on our October cruise on the Grandeur. Dinner was excellent - good quality and quantity and lots of choices. Lunch was great, especially the Tutti salad bar. Breakfast was OK, but I preferred the Windjammer. We had excellent service as well.

What is MOJO in describing the first night's menu?

Each menu has a name which supposedly represents that night's offerings, such as Basil, saffron, pomodoro, mojo. Mojo menu just doesn't live up to its supposed spicy and vibrant name.

I would think the first nights menu would be "wow, you are on the ship, here is a vivid representation of the amazing meals you are going to get" and for me the menu is actually "you are tired, it's been a long day, the wait staff are overwhelmed with all new people, maybe you'll like something"

Edited by MommaBear55

We have had HOT warm meals in the MDR. And have enjoyed eating there.

What we do not care for are the desserts.....nothing to our liking, and I should explain.....we just enjoy a simple piece of cake or ice cream.

But, since we can get that back home, we just avoid the desserts.

Helps' us maintain our weight and not gain.

Enjoy

Happy New Year

Have family that just got off Oasis last week.

"How was your cruise?"

"FOOD SUCKED!" - They are Diamond Plus so have been around the block a few times.

For the prices Royal charges they need to start bringing quality back to the included food in the fare and not just try to drive everyone to specialty restaurants.

Food is very subjective so that's why I don't let any of the reviews posted on CC influence me. Have always found offerings in the MDR that I've enjoyed . Recently I've begun eating dinner in the Windjammer on some evenings and have found it to be thoroughly enjoyable regarding food offerings and level of service.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Have family that just got off Oasis last week.

"How was your cruise?"

"FOOD SUCKED!" - They are Diamond Plus so have been around the block a few times.

For the prices Royal charges they need to start bringing quality back to the included food in the fare and not just try to drive everyone to specialty restaurants.

That's their opinion. I'm D+ and got off Oasis 3 months ago. Food did not "suck"! I'm the pickiest eater that you could know and I was far from starving after a week. I'd like to see better deserts and hotter food sometimes, but some of their meat dishes are excellent. Everyone has an opinion. That's mine

We have had HOT warm meals in the MDR. And have enjoyed eating there.

What we do not care for are the desserts.....nothing to our liking, and I should explain.....we just enjoy a simple piece of cake or ice cream.

But, since we can get that back home, we just avoid the desserts.

Helps' us maintain our weight and not gain.

Enjoy

Happy New Year

You can get simple pieces of cake and/or ice cream in the MDR. DH told our waiter the second night that he just wanted a brownie with ice cream but didn't see it on the menu so didn't order any desert. When our waiter brought the rest of the deserts, he brought DH a brownie with ice cream. He said all we had to do was tell him what we wanted and he'd get it for us. The next night DH asked for chocolate chip cookies - which he got still warm from the oven!

We loved the food in the MDR on Jewel in September. The food was hot, plentiful and tasty. We hadn't eaten in the MDR in 7 cruises but were tired of the WJ. We were so glad we went back to the MDR. Everything was delicious and our waiters were the best!

You can get simple pieces of cake and/or ice cream in the MDR. DH told our waiter the second night that he just wanted a brownie with ice cream but didn't see it on the menu so didn't order any desert. When our waiter brought the rest of the deserts, he brought DH a brownie with ice cream. He said all we had to do was tell him what we wanted and he'd get it for us. The next night DH asked for chocolate chip cookies - which he got still warm from the oven!

Sometimes I ask for a kids menu and we don't have kids. Different selection of desserts if you want to try something different from the regular menus.

Edited by davekathy