Would you recommend the Noordam?

stickey_mouse

This is my first HAL post. I'm considering an Alaskan cruise on the Noordam next summer and wanted to get some opinions of the ship. I keep reading that people don't love the Noordam, or that the Noordam is their least favorite Vista Class ship.

I'm also considering upgrading to a Signature or Neptune Suite. Is the Neptune worth it? Is the exclusive breakfast a vast improvement over the Lido buffet?

Thanks!

The Noordam is our favorite Vista Class ship. As for breakfast in the Pinnacle, it's more relaxed, with a higher level of service - but the selection in the Lido is wider and more varied. The Neptune Suite will give you the Pinnacle Grill breakfast option, and a room 2x larger than a standard balcony. The Signature Suites are about 1.5x the real estate as a standard balcony. The Neptune Suites have other amenities, like no charge laundry, pressing, and dry cleaning. There are other perks that are included, but you'll find them in the room descriptions.

Edited by POA1

The "exclusive" Pinnacle breakfast is the same food choices as the main dining room breakfast, both of which are different than the breakfast buffet in the Lido.

Our experience has been that if you have breakfast early then the ambiance and service in the Pinnacle and MDR is about the same, and we usually are able to get a private breakfast table in the MDR.

The Pinnacle becomes favorable when the MDR gets more crowded later in the morning.

igraf

ps: Not sure if I would describe "no charge" Neptune services as a perk; the passenger has certainly paid extra upfront for these services.

...Is the Neptune worth it? Is the exclusive breakfast a vast improvement over the Lido buffet?

Thanks!

Edited by igraf

I really liked the Noordam, I'm surprised to hear anyone didn't love her! Although bigger than some of their ships, she still felt about the same size, and I didn't feel like there were huge crowds anywhere.

From my view, Alaska's pretty port intensive, I might spring for a balcony because there's glacier viewing, but I'd save the big splurge for a cruise with more sea days. JMHO.

• Like 1

This is my first HAL post. I'm considering an Alaskan cruise on the Noordam next summer and wanted to get some opinions of the ship. I keep reading that people don't love the Noordam, or that the Noordam is their least favorite Vista Class ship.

I'm also considering upgrading to a Signature or Neptune Suite. Is the Neptune worth it? Is the exclusive breakfast a vast improvement over the Lido buffet?

Thanks!

We loved the Noordam in Alaska May 2015, especially our MDR waiters, GP (Assistant MDR Manager), the Neptune Lounge Concierges, Santosh (Culinary Operations Manager who coordinated our special chocolate purse and chocolate bomb desserts), and our efficient Room Stewards.

Here is my photographic tour of the Noordam to help in your planning:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-noordam-on-board-images/

Thanks!

We have only been on the Noordam once but specifically booked it for our Panama Canal cruise. We had always heard great reviews about the ship and we loved it. We did have a Neptune Suite but I don't think that would have made a difference. The crew, food etc were all great.

It's hard to say if the Neptune is worth it for an Alaska cruise-guess only you can say if it is worth the price. We've been in several Signature suites and Neptune suites and for a short cruise I actually prefer the Signature suite-mainly because the cost is much lower. Depending on when your cruise is and how it is selling, you could be offered a reasonable upsell to a Neptune or Signature. Personally, I'd use the money you saved to take some great excursions in Alaska, but that's just my opinion.

Have a great cruise whatever you choose!

We cruised on the Inaugural voyage on the Noordam--first time on that size ship. It didn't feel huge and had lots of nice spaces. We have been on her several times and have loved each trip. We always have been on a balcony and found this to be ideal for our purposes.

Alaska cruise was done this summer on the Veendam--fourteen day up to Homer and Kodiak and back to Seattle. We had a Signature Suite and loved having the balcony despite having to wear a coat most of the time out there. Having the glass wall to look out of was a great benefit too (it was warmer indoors). Many days had room service breakfast and watched as we were coming into ports.

I was not aware that there have many posts saying that the Noordam was the posters' least favorite Vista class ship. I heartily disagree with that opinion. We loved the Noordam and would highly recommend it.

As for the Neptune Suites, we think they are worth it, at least if you have a cruise of at least 15 days. Otherwise, to me, they would not be worth it. And I am sure that to many people, 15 days might also not be worth the cost. A personal decision, but, yes, the suites are nice.

Thanks for the replies!

Do the signature suites offer any upgrades over standard balcony rooms, other than the obvious increase in size?

You accumulate double points toward star status because it is a suite. The balconies are nice because they are much larger. I really liked the Signature Suites. It has a much more spacious feel to it that the additional footage would suggest. Where we can't or won't pay for a Neptune, we will always take a Signature suite where available.

The Noordam is one of our favorite ships! I don't think it gets a bad reputation here at all. It's the youngest of it's class, which is called Vista class.

As far as the suite perks, there are a lot, as others have mentioned, but of course they come at a premium price. I find it difficult to blindly advise people on if it's worth it or not, because we all value things different and have different budgets. Most times we will sail in a Neptune suite, but there' s a limit to how much I'm willing to pay for it. If the differential is too much, I won't do it. The perks are with extra to us, but not THAT much (like a whole other vacation) extra. And yet there are people who will do a Neptune suite or not sail at all… just depends on what you want.

Regardless of the category of stateroom, though, the Noordam is a fabulous ship! I would book that ship without any hesitation at all.

I Plead Guilty to being one of (if not the sole) CC member who did not like the Noordam, contrary to my hubby, Crew News who seems to really like her:p (Please read his "we" as HE:)

Let me explain why:

!. The very Aft Staterooms have less coverage than on other HAL ships in both the "Vista" and Signature" class ships. As an Example, the afts of the other ship classes I mention are basically shaped down like this " [ ", whereas on Noordam it is like this " / ".

2. Deck 5 on the other Vistas and Signature ships the very aft staterooms are completely covered, Noordam is not, in fact it is only about 1/2 covered if even that:(

3. I do not care for Noordam because I am one of those who spends most of their cruise time sitting out on my verandah and I want coverage so that I can be protected from the sun, rain etc.

Other than the above 3 reasons, I have no problems with the Noordam.

Would I be happy to book a cruise on her again? You Betcha bottom dollar on it if it is the only HAL ship to be cruising where and when I want to be doing so!! However, if another ship I like better is doing the same itinerary at the same time I want? No way ho ho (my way of saying Jose)!! And heck, were on her this past May to Alaska.

Please do not use my feelings about Noordam dissuade you from Booking her for a cruise. As I said, and you can read Crew News's post above, 2 people can see a ship differently on the same cruise and even in the same stateroom:) Still my least favorite but...

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie
  • Like 1

I love the Noordam! She was my first HAL ship and every time I embark on her it is like coming home again, for me. It always brings a warm welcoming smile and feeling to me. I would recommend her hands down.

This march will be my first time on a smaller HAL ship, the Zaandam, so we shall see.

In a heartbeat! Great ship/awesome crew/nice itineraries :)

I'll second Copper10-8 on that. We fell in love with Noordam on a Med. cruise back in 2013 and are scheduled to be cruising with her again in NZ and Australia this March. Noordam was the last of the Vista Class to be built and a lot of the problems noted on the earlier Vistas were mostly corrected.

She has, however, had to share our favored spot with Amsterdam, a truly elegant flagship, since our Incan Empire cruise last December.

"Do the signature suites offer any upgrades over standard balcony rooms, other than the obvious increase in size?"

Other than the obvious size difference, the SS/SY cabins have a much larger bathroom - both a full size shower/tub combination plus a separate enclosed shower. Sinks are double size with two basins and two separate storage areas. This extra space is VERY nice when both of you are getting ready for dinner.

The balcony has two comfortable chairs with footstools. There is a small table between them. Additionally there is a larger table with two dining type chairs.

We have been in one Neptune Suite (Maasdam) and loved it - but as it was a fall cruise we got a very good price for the upgrade. As middle income folks, it really is beyond any reasonable expenditure. For folks who truly find them affordable, Neptune Suites can't be beat.

Thanks!

In my humble opinion the Noordam is the best of the Vista Class ships.

Thanks!

We sailed on Noordam for 2 weeks October/November 2015.

Would be happy to sail on her again.

I prefer Noordam to the Oosterdam, we had a Neptune Suite on both ships.

1. The very Aft Staterooms have less coverage than on other HAL ships in both the "Vista" and Signature" class ships. As an Example, the afts of the other ship classes I mention are basically shaped down like this " [ ", whereas on Noordam it is like this " / ".

2. Deck 5 on the other Vistas and Signature ships the very aft staterooms are completely covered, Noordam is not, in fact it is only about 1/2 covered if even that:(

3. I do not care for Noordam because I am one of those who spends most of their cruise time sitting out on my verandah and I want coverage so that I can be protected from the sun, rain etc.

Are you basically advising to avoid the aft staterooms on the Noordam? Also, any experience with the lowest tier of Neptune suites (category SC)? I can't tell from the deck plans what makes them less desirable (for lack of a better phrase) than the SB rooms (see Deck 7 on Noordam, for example).

Sitting in aft wrap 6166 on the Noordam right now, back for a second trip, she is still as lovely as ever. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow in the Pinnacle, it's a superb meal in there, one of the highlights of having a Neptune suite and the walk from the aft helps to at least make me think I'm working some of it off.

Are you basically advising to avoid the aft staterooms on the Noordam? Also, any experience with the lowest tier of Neptune suites (category SC)? I can't tell from the deck plans what makes them less desirable (for lack of a better phrase) than the SB rooms (see Deck 7 on Noordam, for example).

No, I am not advising anyone avoid the aft staterooms on Noordam, nor any other HAL Ship that has them. I will only book one of these. It is just if I have my choice over 5190 on Noordam or let's say the same stateroom on Westerdam, doing the smae itinerary, then I will book Westerdam specifically because of the full coverage. Same with say 6166 on either ship. Noordam has less coverage and I want coverage.

Cannot tell you why the SC's are even designated as SC. To me, they appear to have much larger interiors, but much much less verandah. I know that I will do everything in my power not to book one of the SC's, only because of my preference for the aft wraps. I will not say I'll never book one, but...........

Joanie