Tipping for room service

LRnascarfan

We have prepaid all our tips in the cost of our cruise. I figure I will probably order some room service in the mornings since my kids take longer than me to get ready!! Do I need to tip when the items are delivered? If so, how much would be acceptable?

Thanks,

Kim

yes it is appropriate to tip for all RS deliveries that do not incur a surcharge( on most ships they only impose this fee late night until like 5 or 6 am)

a pot of coffee and some pastries for 2? maybe $ 2-3

a full cooked breakfast for 4? closer to $7-8

consider the more you order, the more you tip

Thanks!! I will probably order like juice and pastries to snack while the others get ready. I'm planning on taking a stack of $1's with me so I will be sure I have enough for this!!

If you run low on one dollar bills, you can break larger bills at the Passenger Services Desk

We have prepaid all our tips in the cost of our cruise. I figure I will probably order some room service in the mornings since my kids take longer than me to get ready!! Do I need to tip when the items are delivered? If so, how much would be acceptable?

Thanks,

Kim

Room service is additional work that they take on. They are expecting a tip.

$1-5 is typical....depending on how much they need to carry. Yes..the ship will "break down" larger bills for you. Yes..you tip at delivery, since the delivery person is kitchen staff.....and have it ready..they don't linger!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Thanks for the tips!! Is there anything else that you tip for that isn't included in the cruise tip? I sure don't want to look rude!! I'm assuming if you call for extra towels or an extra pillow etc you would tip a couple of dollars for that too!!

I'm assuming if you call for extra towels or an extra pillow etc you would tip a couple of dollars for that too!!

These items will be brought by your cabin steward and personally, I wouldn't tip him/her for this. Your towels should be changed out twice a day anyway so if you still feel you need additional towels, just tell your steward when you see him/her in the hallway. There may be an extra pillow in your closet, not sure. But these are very small requests and in my opinion, do not require tipping.

You may, however, tip your steward extra in one lump sum at the very end of the cruise if you feel the service was excellent in every way. Many people do this. But you have already paid gratuities so it's a personal choice. :)

Thanks for the tips!! Is there anything else that you tip for that isn't included in the cruise tip? I sure don't want to look rude!! I'm assuming if you call for extra towels or an extra pillow etc you would tip a couple of dollars for that too!!

for this, I would just ask the steward on the first day( it is rare that they will not stop by and introduce themselves at some point) but they do know how many people are in the cabin and stock accordingly. or just snoop. we have found spare pillows and blankets in the closest or even in drawers before.

as far as everything else, if it incurs a charge the tip will automatically be added to the bill.(booze, soda, fancy coffee, ice cream that isn't the soft serve on the pool deck, etc)

Thanks,

Kim

If you have prepaid, or have been perked "included" gratuities, there is no need to tip a room service waiter or give daily bribes to your cabin attendant.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Thanks,

Kim

If you have prepaid, or have been perked "included" gratuities, there is no need to tip a room service waiter or give daily bribes to your cabin attendant.

$1-5 is typical....depending on how much they need to carry. Yes..the ship will "break down" larger bills for you. Yes..you tip at delivery, since the delivery person is kitchen staff.....and have it ready..they don't linger!!!

They'll linger if you just say, "hang on a minute while I get my wallet/purse. If they don't linger, then apparently they don't really want a tip. ;)

There may not be "a need", but it is the RIGHT THING to do, if receiving room service.. Do you tip our wait staff when you go out to eat?? :rolleyes:

I'm going to disagree with other posters here. The cruise lines have decided to charge a per diem for tipping now. Room service is included as part of the the cruise, just like any other meal, in my opinion. They have staff available for delivery, just as they have waiters in the dining room. I do not tip for room service. A cruise ship is not a hotel.

I'm going to disagree with other posters here. The cruise lines have decided to charge a per diem for tipping now. Room service is included as part of the the cruise, just like any other meal, in my opinion. They have staff available for delivery, just as they have waiters in the dining room. I do not tip for room service. A cruise ship is not a hotel.

Nope.

They are expecting a tip. It is extra work that they take on and they are expecting to be paid for it.

Edited by luddite