Paying fee to board early - 1st time Princess cruiser

denamo

Read on a blog about a cruiser who paid an extra fee to be able to board early. Is this program fleetwide? How do I find out if my cruise offers this.

Are cabins available no matter what time you board, or do you have to wait until 1:00 - 1:300 for access?

Would also appreciate any other hints for a first time Princess cruiser. We are very seasoned cruisers on Royal Caribbean. We will be on the Caribbean Princess. Booked for the itinerary and not having to fly to Florida. Will be fun to see cruising from a different line.

That's the Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) where you can take people on board with you for a tour and lunch. They get off and you stay on when it is done.

On the Grand last month were the 3rd group to board the ship. The time between BVE boarding and us boarding was about 20 minutes tops. When it starts boarding it goes quickly. First, BVE then Elite, Platinum and then everyone else dependant on the # you get when you check in. We left the hotel about 10:30 and got there just before 11AM.

Yes, cabins are ready when you board.

Have fun!:)

I've read about a few exceptions, but cabins are generally ready as soon as boarding starts. Mine has always been ready. If for some reason it is not ready, go to lunch and it will be done by the time you finish.

Other than the BVE, I'm not aware of any way you can pay to board earlier...and I honestly don't understand why a few minutes would be worth paying for. There are usually lines for security and check in, but boarding goes very quickly after it starts.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are getting off another ship and coming over to Princess. This would put you at the terminal fairly early unless you make a store run in the middle (you might want to get some wine?). The wait to board should be minimal.

A BVE is the only way to be able to board early. You do not have to bring anyone with you to do a BVE. Plus if you book another cruise while on board, you get credited with the amount you paid for the BVE. If you are doing a BVE, you will board sometime between 11 and 11:30 unless something delays boarding. Also not all embarking ports do BVE's. Call Princess to find out which ones and what dates. One more thing, if you are doing a BVE on the Royal Or Regal, most likely your cabin will not be ready until 1pm. I have seen this on each of these ships so far.

One more thing, if you are doing a BVE on the Royal Or Regal, most likely your cabin will not be ready until 1pm. I have seen this on each of these ships so far.

On our 2 cruises on the Royal our cabins were ready immediately upon boarding. We were elite and probably in the first dozen on the ship this past October; in December 2013 we were in a suite and probably were in the first 100 on board. We have never had an unprepared cabin on any of our Princess cruises.

A BVE is the only way to be able to board early. You do not have to bring anyone with you to do a BVE. Plus if you book another cruise while on board, you get credited with the amount you paid for the BVE. If you are doing a BVE, you will board sometime between 11 and 11:30 unless something delays boarding. Also not all embarking ports do BVE's. Call Princess to find out which ones and what dates. One more thing, if you are doing a BVE on the Royal Or Regal, most likely your cabin will not be ready until 1pm. I have seen this on each of these ships so far.

You do not have to bring anyone to do the BVE however you can not do it if you are a guest on the sailing. You can't use it to board early.

If you bring someone who does the BVE, after they are booked you call and attach your booking to their booking #. They also have to give permission for you to attach your booking to theirs.

Read on a blog about a cruiser who paid an extra fee to be able to board early. Is this program fleetwide? How do I find out if my cruise offers this.

Are cabins available no matter what time you board, or do you have to wait until 1:00 - 1:300 for access?

Would also appreciate any other hints for a first time Princess cruiser. We are very seasoned cruisers on Royal Caribbean. We will be on the Caribbean Princess. Booked for the itinerary and not having to fly to Florida. Will be fun to see cruising from a different line.

Its probably the Carnival program as mentioned "faster to the fun".

The BVE is the only option for Princess in the US.

We've done nine cruises on Princess with one being on the Royal. I've never heard of a fee paid that would let you board early (if you're cruising). I've also always noted my cabin was always ready for occupancy upon boarding.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

A BVE is the only way to be able to board early.

BVE groups board second, but do not really board early. The first group to board after the ship clears are the b2b'ers. Almost immediately after the BVE'ers board general board begins with Full Suite, Elite, Platinum then everybody else. The entire process is pretty quick.

In response to the OP's question, passengers can not pay to board a Princess ship early, and when you board you can go directly to your cabin it will be ready no matter what your Captain's Circle Status. There is no cabin call. Most times general boarding begins around noon or maybe a little before. Those that arrive at the pier around 11am are normally on board by 12:30 or sooner.

Edited by sknight

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses. What I had read about was the Bon Voyage Experience (BVE). It just sounded kind of interesting, but we'll probably forego doing it.

Nice to know cabins are available upon boarding so we can dump carry on's and head out to explore the ship. As I mentioned, we are Royal Caribbean cruisers, and this will be our first Princess cruise. Looking forward to the experience

Most of what I've read seems to be similar to what we've experienced on other cruises. It will be fun to have a new experience.

Thanks, all!

As said, if you are a passenger on a cruise you cannot book the BVE without being with a non-sailing guest who is paying the $39.

You don't have to know anyone sailing on the ship to book the BVE.

The BVE is available at only a few US ports and not on all sailings.

On our last 2 cruises aboard the Regal and the Royal we were told our cabins would not be ready until 1pm. They actually had beige cards at checkin stating so if you noticed them and picked it up. We were not allowed to take our carryons to the cabin either. We are elite and boarded as soon as we could. Both times our cabins were in the forward section of the ship on Lido deck. I asked our room steward why the last time and he thought perhaps it was due to large number of new stewards but wasn't sure. He was just starting his contract too. so we ate at Alfredos and then went directly to our cabin well before 1pm and it was ready.

Edited by yoyosma

Another way to board early is to book a full suite.

We are usually in our cabin before or just after noon

Greeting Paul. The best that we have been offered is the Green Label Priority Boarding Pass to board with elites & platinum's. Where did I go wrong? :eek: LOL The main thing is to get on! ;)

Just Mike

I wish, but not offered.

No way would I pay to board early. Other than one bad experience in San Pedro boarding has been quick and easy. Rooms on Princess (with a few weird exceptions) are always ready as soon as you board.

I really appreciate everyone's input. We are usually early birds at the port because we are too anxious to get on board. :) Since this will be our first Princess cruise, we have no loyalty privileges. We will cool our jets and wait our turn. ;):D

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses. What I had read about was the Bon Voyage Experience (BVE). It just sounded kind of interesting, but we'll probably forego doing it.

Nice to know cabins are available upon boarding so we can dump carry on's and head out to explore the ship. As I mentioned, we are Royal Caribbean cruisers, and this will be our first Princess cruise. Looking forward to the experience

Most of what I've read seems to be similar to what we've experienced on other cruises. It will be fun to have a new experience.

Thanks, all!

Since your a first time Princess be sure to plan for the available lunch in dining room. It is wonderful and a very relaxing way to begin your trip. Served from noon till 1:30. Call or check your patter (in the cabin) as to which dining room is serving. Often crew will direct you to buffet. One time I called down to service desk, but the last few cruises info was in cabin. Drop carryons and enjoy.

No way would I pay to board early. Other than one bad experience in San Pedro boarding has been quick and easy. Rooms on Princess (with a few weird exceptions) are always ready as soon as you board.

FTTF, the Carnival pay-early thing, makes sense down the road in Long Beach where Carnival docks. They have no real waiting facilities. People just stand in long lines outside. San Pedro has the real terminals with chairs. Big difference. No need to pay extra on Princess.

As said, if you are a passenger on a cruise you cannot book the BVE without being with a non-sailing guest who is paying the $39.

You don't have to know anyone sailing on the ship to book the BVE.

The BVE is available at only a few US ports and not on all sailings.

Wish they offered it in Aus, would love to take my mum.