Accident on Anthem of the Seas

My family and I were on Anthem for an 8 day cruise from Cape Liberty, December 19th-27th December, 2015. I want to make fellow cruisers aware of a potential hazard with the stair rails on decks 14 and 15. On the first full day of our cruise I received a deep cut to my hand while descending from deck 15 to deck 14. The laceration required 2 sutures and 4 follow up visits to the ship's medical center, hence causing considerable disruption to our vacation (e.g. not being able to swim in Atlantis Aqua Park and during the stop in Coco Cay)

The stair handrails are covered by plastic faux-wood casing and the one that caused my injury was cracked and broken leaving a sharp fragment exposed. I noticed two similar cracked sections of plastic on this handrail and subsequently on other handrails on decks 14 and 15. Not sure why such a new ship has such deteriorated and poorly maintained rails. RCCL has been decidedly unimpressive in their response to my concerns, even resorting to having a Guest Services representative phone me with a dismissive and mocking tone. Anyone had similar experience?

I certainly agree that cutting your hand merely by using a handrail IS a problem, particularly one that results in stitches!

I hope that you follow up with Royal Caribbean post-cruise.

• US or Canada: (800) 256-6649

• Outside the U.S.: (954) 628-9290

• E-mail https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/contactUsOnline.do?ref=postcmnt

• 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132

Or directly to the president: mbayley@rccl.com

Someone in his office should respond to you.

I am so very sorry to hear about this. I hope it heals fast! I would certainly follow up with the cruise line once you are home, as it seems the onboard staff is not providing much assistance.

Do you know if they are planning on redoing those rails? I certainly would hope so.

As for some of you posters who show no concern for the poster, why post and be rude? There's so much of this going on these days on CC and some other sites, I just can't believe it. Show some respect for fellow cruisers who share experiences about what we all love!

Edited by cot427

I am so very sorry to hear about this. I hope it heals fast! I would certainly follow up with the cruise line once you are home, as it seems the onboard staff is not providing much assistance.

Do you know if they are planning on redoing those rails? I certainly would hope so.

As for some of you posters who show no concern for the poster, why post and be rude? There's so much of this going on these days on CC and some other sites, I just can't believe it. Show some respect for fellow cruisers who share experiences about what we all love!

Believe me, when I board in a few days, I am going to inspect that rail! :eek:

My family and I were on Anthem for an 8 day cruise from Cape Liberty, December 19th-27th December, 2015. I want to make fellow cruisers aware of a potential hazard with the stair rails on decks 14 and 15. On the first full day of our cruise I received a deep cut to my hand while descending from deck 15 to deck 14. The laceration required 2 sutures and 4 follow up visits to the ship's medical center, hence causing considerable disruption to our vacation (e.g. not being able to swim in Atlantis Aqua Park and during the stop in Coco Cay)

The stair handrails are covered by plastic faux-wood casing and the one that caused my injury was cracked and broken leaving a sharp fragment exposed. I noticed two similar cracked sections of plastic on this handrail and subsequently on other handrails on decks 14 and 15. Not sure why such a new ship has such deteriorated and poorly maintained rails. RCCL has been decidedly unimpressive in their response to my concerns, even resorting to having a Guest Services representative phone me with a dismissive and mocking tone. Anyone had similar experience?

Is it the one by the FlowRider? Near to the iFly entrance?

Is it the one by the FlowRider? Near to the iFly entrance?

It was the stairway leading down from the North Star to the Pool Deck.

Let us know what you find. Hopefully the handrail issue was taken care of.

Commendably, the handrail was completely replaced within 24 hours of my "incident". The ships's Chief Safety Officer accompanied me to look at the area of damage and within an hour or so the deteriorated sections had been taped over. The reason for my post was purely to make others aware that these rails can pose a hazard if they are damaged or not maintained. I observed other rails on Deck 15 with similar cracks, so there may well be a deficiency with the material used to cover the rails.

It's no wonder that folks don't post anything that might possible be a negative against RC. If the situations posted are not a gleaming post the OPs gets beaten down by RC cheerleaders.

If this situation happened to you it would matter. Sorry this happened OP, hope you heal quickly.

This a serious matter. A ship this new has this problem? Hope RCL has been in touch with the contractor, designer, vendor or who ever installed those handrails.

R&D

👍🏻 Sounds like cost cutting to me, why is fake wood on the handrails that are exposed to the elements? I'm sorry this happen to you and that it spoiled your cruise and excursion.

Thank you for your comments......much appreciated. Enjoy your cruise on Anthem. She is a beautiful ship. The 270 degree lounge is stunning.....but you need to attend the Cruise Director's presentation to fully appreciate the full extent of technology used, especially the robotic HD screens!

OP, thanks for the warning and heads up. Sorry you got hurt.

I do my best not to touch any handrails at sea or on land but everybody's situation is different. I never use the handrails on escalators, you never know how dirty they are.:eek:

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and I hope that you are feeling better soon.:)

It was the stairway leading down from the North Star to the Pool Deck.

Commendably, the handrail was completely replaced within 24 hours of my "incident". The ships's Chief Safety Officer accompanied me to look at the area of damage and within an hour or so the deteriorated sections had been taped over. The reason for my post was purely to make others aware that these rails can pose a hazard if they are damaged or not maintained. I observed other rails on Deck 15 with similar cracks, so there may well be a deficiency with the material used to cover the rails.

Thanks for sharing the information so others can be on guard. Safety is important to everyone at home, work or on vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can really relate to this "incident". I had something very similar happen to me on an Amtrak train. I didn't receive stitches but I was on a blood thinner & my finger wouldn't stop bleeding. I reported it to security & then filed a claim with Amtrak. They were very polite & offered me a settlement that almost reimbursed the entire trip & paid any medical bills. I went to the doctor when I got home just to be on the safe side. I didn't sue & I felt I was treated fairly.

I know this wasn't with a cruise line but I just wanted to let you know that there are good companies out there that do right by their customers.

Donna

I believe that the OP has a very valid point. And, hope that your recovery now is almost pain free, and you are close to normal once again.

A thought. So many people carry cell phones all over the ship, when something like this happens, how about a picture taken of the problem area, and then posted on here.

That way, no one can take one side or the other........as the truth is on film.

I am amazed at how many pictures are taken with cell phones. So, if there is a problem, take a picture.

What was the picture of blood running down an elevator on a Carnival ship a week or so ago. Pretty gruesome.

Thanks for the updates, and recover completely......soon!!

Rick

I'm very new to Cruise Critic, and I am surprised to see any nasty responses to the OP. Using a handrail shouldn't cause an injury requiring stitches. I often use handrails if I'm in high heels and I wouldn't think to be worried about being cut. I would be upset if this happened to me! Thank you for letting us know about your experience.

I agree.. I am sorry .. I am going to be looking for this on Friday..Jan. 15th ...on the Anthem.. you are all right.. we deserve better!Just a FYI as soon as I commented I tried to undo it.. I could not.. so take my comments off limits.. thank you..

Same cruise?

I agree.. I am sorry .. I am going to be looking for this on Friday..Jan. 15th ...on the Anthem.. you are all right.. we deserve better!Just a FYI as soon as I commented I tried to undo it.. I could not.. so take my comments off limits.. thank you..

Good on you for admitting your poor judgement. Safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i hope your hand heals quickly and it's good to let people know about the handrails. I ALWAYS.hold on to the handrails when going up and down the outer stairs on any ship . the last think you want is to fall down I've seen it happen more than once especially when the ships at sea .

I've seen enough kids and adults(after a couple) try swinging, sliding, or whatever on hand rails which could easy be the cause of something like this. I would think that is the more likely cause of it being damaged. Either way I'm sure it didn't feel great and not fun on a vacation surrounded by salt water.

Just a general comment but I had a cut down the inside of my finger that required stitches before I left on a cruise so each time I had a water activity schedule the staff in the wj gave me two rubber gloves. I put both on and got some tape to seal it. Worked great. Figured may help someone save an excursion sometime.

Just a general comment but I had a cut down the inside of my finger that required stitches before I left on a cruise so each time I had a water activity schedule the staff in the wj gave me two rubber gloves. I put both on and got some tape to seal it. Worked great. Figured may help someone save an excursion sometime.

Love MacGyver solutions.

Edited by Biker19

I've seen enough kids and adults(after a couple) try swinging, sliding, or whatever on hand rails which could easy be the cause of something like this.

The sliding comment reminds me of an incident about a year ago, possibly on a RC ship.. This YouTube link shows a teen girl sliding down a stair rail. When it happened at the time they said she was OK, but the video would make you think different. :eek:

👍🏻 Sounds like cost cutting to me, why is fake wood on the handrails that are exposed to the elements? I'm sorry this happen to you and that it spoiled your cruise and excursion.

Totally depends on the type of "fake" wood. Many have superior weathering characteristics, cost more up front and are a better long term solution